Home & Garden Gardening

Remove this Banner Ad

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Nice bump!

I'd love to know whether it's "a thing" that home gardeners with limited space look at long range forecasts before deciding what to plant.

I pack quite a bit into my limited space, but because it hasn't been that hot in Melbourne this summer I can't grow a cucumber or a carrot for love or money. On the other end of the spectrum, my strawberries, blueberries and chillis are going ape-s**t cos we've had some pretty consistent rain that they love.

Would planting according to long range forecasts be considered a bit OTT?

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Nice bump!

I'd love to know whether it's "a thing" that home gardeners with limited space look at long range forecasts before deciding what to plant.

I pack quite a bit into my limited space, but because it hasn't been that hot in Melbourne this summer I can't grow a cucumber or a carrot for love or money. On the other end of the spectrum, my strawberries, blueberries and chillis are going ape-sh*t cos we've had some pretty consistent rain that they love.

Thats why 'Almanacks' got published

Its why for years The Advertiser had planting guides for 'best weather' growing

I used it for my tomatoes etc

patterns

Rookie
Dec 31, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Got given a couple of those half wooden barrels like the wineries use.

Great height and very convenient for a small garden area, they look pretty good as well.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Nice bump!

I pack quite a bit into my limited space, but because it hasn't been that hot in Melbourne this summer I can't grow a cucumber or a carrot for love or money. On the other end of the spectrum, my strawberries, blueberries and chillis are going ape-sh*t cos we've had some pretty consistent rain that they love.

Just water more

and use this

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
I am not a gardener at all, hence why I'm here.

I have five well established mop top trees in my backyard. The kid who has been mowing my lawns for about three years likes to dump the grass clippings around the bottom of the tree trunk. I've just been told that this can kill trees, so have removed the clippings.

Does anybody know how long it might take to kill a tree this way and whether this type of tree would be likely to be affected?

Cheers. 🌳

The tomato plants I planted in spring, are loving the sun but they won't fruit now matter how much I water and fertilise

1613366120765.png

The neighbours teenage kids have been wonderful, coming around taking clippings to university with them for testing.

Last edited:

JewellWhite

Draftee
May 15, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Nothing better than spending time in my backyard managing the few things I have. Have built a small area and put fake lawn in, nice shady area under the crab-apple tree to sit and contemplate the world.

I also have onions growing at the moment , and am looking to put some garlic bulbs in.

Was watching community tv and Vasilli came on with this garden in Moreland Vic. The guy has done a fantastic job.

Have you gone this far or are you like me with one or two items and a hope to grow more?

Yes I agree, spending time in the backyard is the most wonderful thing in life. I wish you the best of luck and build your dream site as soon as possible. I've been working on my backyard for a while now. It would go faster if I asked someone for help, but I want to do everything myself, even the furniture. I recently made a superb table out of solid timber logs. I recently bought myself a portable table saw. It's the best purchase I've made in a while. If you click here you too can touch this miracle.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

I have five well established mop top trees in my backyard. The kid who has been mowing my lawns for about three years likes to dump the grass clippings around the bottom of the tree trunk. I've just been told that this can kill trees, so have removed the clippings.

Does anybody know how long it might take to kill a tree this way and whether this type of tree would be likely to be affected?

Cheers. 🌳
Basically the water and air will not penetrate the soil where the grass is. Not sure if they are a hardy tree or not ( I suspect they are hardy) but it's great you removed it. It's kind of like how not much else grows around the base of gum trees...they drop their leaves...which are full of eucalyptus oil and it coats the soil with oils and water will not penetrate. Give them a feed with a plant food (not too much) and spread some wetting agent around the area and give it a good water in. The wetting agent (something like saturaid) is basically a detergent that should foam up and 'clean' the soil. They will love it! Mulches are usually coarser than grass so water gets in...but soil tends to go waterproof under most anyway. Wetting agent 2 or 3 times a year is fantastic. Instead of standing with a hose for 20 minutes, scratching the soil sometimes it is still dry, 5 minutes with the hose after wetting agent gives a deep soaking. This promotes deep root growth instead of shallow, which is better for when hot weather arrives. Having said that....they might be about to drop their leaves and go to sleep for winter?...still wouldn't hurt to do and again at the start of spring.

Last edited:

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks

Cheers. 🌳
It will only kill them if its against the trunks and causes rot.
Probably better to mulch your lawn clippings and add that to the base of the trees but not touching the trunks

Lawn being green needs lots of brown to get it to break down into good compost

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
Basically the water and air will not penetrate the soil where the grass is. Not sure if they are a hardy tree or not ( I suspect they are hardy) but it's great you removed it. It's kind of like how not much else grows around the base of gum trees...they drop their leaves...which are full of eucalyptus oil and it coats the soil with oils and water will not penetrate. Give them a feed with a plant food (not too much) and spread some wetting agent around the area and give it a good water in. The wetting agent (something like saturaid) is basically a detergent that should foam up and 'clean' the soil. They will love it! Mulches are usually coarser than grass so water gets in...but soil tends to go waterproof under most anyway. Wetting agent 2 or 3 times a year is fantastic. Instead of standing with a hose for 20 minutes, scratching the soil sometimes it is still dry, 5 minutes with the hose after wetting agent gives a deep soaking. This promotes deep root growth instead of shallow, which is better for when hot weather arrives. Having said that....they might be about to drop their leaves and go to sleep for winter?...still wouldn't hurt to do and again at the start of spring.

It will only kill them if its against the trunks and causes rot.
Probably better to mulch your lawn clippings and add that to the base of the trees but not touching the trunks

Lawn being green needs lots of brown to get it to break down into good compost
Cheers. Very helpful. Much appreciated. :thumbsu:

Has anyone here planted bambino bougainvillias?
I have a window with a small balcony and fence I want to cover with a smaller climber (grown from a pot) and this seems to be a decent choice.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Bit of advice needed, I'm trying to put some hanging plastic planters across the top of an ugly (old asbestos) fenceline, so drilling is out of the question needs to be hung.

Anyone know apart from Bunnings if there's a good cheap place to buy some? At $17 each it quickly adds up.

Also looking to put the cascading Dichondra Silver Falls plant, again anyone know either a good value Melbourne based nursery?

Most of my purchases are from Bunnings but seeing if there's anything better out there.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Nope
Two of mine are still in glass jars with water
Should really plant them

Woulnt be that big would it?
Take forever to grow.
Get right under it and dont break the main root and youd think itd be ok
it is really strruggling a few weks on. i dont think it will make it but am watering it and hoping

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
it is really strruggling a few weks on. i dont think it will make it but am watering it and hoping
My cousin had an avo farm in WA and sold all his mature trees when he turned it into a cherry farm....so a farmer obviously thinks it can be done

Its a balancing act with Avos re water its got to be just right,they usually die of root rot, Ive injected them with phosphorus on my mates farm and saved a few
but
Ive seen them bounce back not from moving but the Bundy floods the trees looked 3/4 dead and took a few years and they are booming again .

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Has anyone here planted bambino bougainvillias?
I have a window with a small balcony and fence I want to cover with a smaller climber (grown from a pot) and this seems to be a decent choice.
have they bred the thorns out ?
Its a bullet proof plant should survive if it gets enough sun

darcytiger

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone trying to grow an avocado tree from a seed from an Avo you bought at the supermarket or whatever, you’re wasting your time. Unless you don’t care about the fruit and just want the tree. Avocados grown from seed have a 1 in 10,000 chance of being edible. It has to be grown from a cutting from a known ‘Hass’ or ‘Shepard’ etc tree.

Interesting video. Have a watch!!

I want to plant some flowers in a garden bed I've just mulched. Probably not something I'll keep around, I've done edible flowers and tall sunflowers before. Any ideas? Would love something native, just as long as I won't have to get an excavator to dig it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back