AFLW 2021 AFLW Trade Period - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

Hehehe 3/10!!!

This trade period just keeps giving!
1623287490492.png

Some big surprises yesterday but probably the biggest was to find out Tayla Harris moved to Dees and is on T2 contract with no marketing dollars.

Some fun and games being played. Wonder if Tayla wanted out of Blues but the high price she told the Blues was just to also scare off bottom of the ladder teams. They would have trumped Melbs offer if they knew the 150k she demanded was a smokey. Reckon Melb were in the picture all along knowing they would get her on the cheap. Well played.

Absolutely, Daisy Pearce has aleardy acknowledged she was and is in regular contact with Harris - just have to join the dots!

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

Trading out Frederick & getting picks 16 & 48 + Maddie Shevlin, then swaping pick 48 for Poppy Kelly = pick 16, Shevlin & Kelly
I think that alone deserves an 8/10
Hosking trade might be a bit more in Carlton's favour, but hey it was a 2nd Rd pick 23 & 3rd Rd pick 40 (we paid a 1st Rd pick 15 for Sarah)
Not too shabby for a draft period :)

Conti isn’t WNBA standard, I don’t know enough to say whether Lavey is at that level but as someone said earlier she isn’t interested in playing overseas anyway.

Agree Hawk..... Lavey could get a minor contract in the US but I think at 27 she is realistic.

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Some big surprises yesterday but probably the biggest was to find out Tayla Harris moved to Dees and is on T2 contract with no marketing dollars.

Some fun and games being played. Wonder if Tayla wanted out of Blues but the high price she told the Blues was just to also scare off bottom of the ladder teams. They would have trumped Melbs offer if they knew the 150k she demanded was a smokey. Reckon Melb were in the picture all along knowing they would get her on the cheap. Well played.

Yeah agree regarding Harris, the con was in play right from the start
Surprises for me was Dogs trading out 2 x 1st Rd's for 3 x 2nd Rd's, must not want quality but quantity
North not getting Rennie over the line given they had 10 days to come to terms
Carlton getting a 3rd Rd pick 44 for Harris from Dees, but getting from GWS for Chloe Dalton & Katie Loynes (who was de-listed) 1st Rd pick 10 & 2nd Rd pick 27, very suspicious trading going on
Harris, Dalton & Hosking all leaving the Blues with only Dal Pos coming in, some of the playing group not happy at the club is my guess

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

yep reckon there might be a few bruised relationships there TM, notable the lack blues ty

She wont play in another Olympics in 4 years time

Only 28 and if you are just using age as the reason the current Olympic squad of 12 have half over 30 so sure she can.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
do we think finals this coming season a fair goal, i do. my assessment is that were 4 or so players off the depth to consistently beat the sides just above in blues and WB as an example . The 3 INS will help, prob need 1-2 of our draftees to make an impact and then I reckon its game ON . there's another level above that NM , COLL , freo liopns are at,,,we're prob 2-3 top liners from there as in conti KB quality. still i think we can look forward to a good year, the brand of footy the girls' started to play was exciting with an offensive use of handball under FERG , will only continue to improve

do we think finals this coming season a fair goal, i do. my assessment is that were 4 or so players off the depth to consistently beat the sides just above in blues and WB as an example . The 3 INS will help, prob need 1-2 of our draftees to make an impact and then I reckon its game ON . there's another level above that NM , COLL , freo liopns are at,,,we're prob 2-3 top liners from there as in conti KB quality. still i think we can look forward to a good year, the brand of footy the girls' started to play was exciting with an offensive use of handball under FERG , will only continue to improve

Look I think we are on the upward trajectory but with only 10 games being played next season the biggest influence on where we finish will be the fixture. If we get a good fixture where again we play more games against teams around us than those near the top of the ladder anything is possible.

The other thing is that we have to get off to a flyer and bank some early wins and build that confidence. Lose your first 2 or 3 in a 10 game season and its just about curtains.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Look I think we are on the upward trajectory but with only 10 games being played next season the biggest influence on where we finish will be the fixture. If we get a good fixture where again we play more games against teams around us than those near the top of the ladder anything is possible.

The other thing is that we have to get off to a flyer and bank some early wins and build that confidence. Lose your first 2 or 3 in a 10 game season and its just about curtains.
Yea we had a @&#$$ of a draw considering our bottom placed finish , fingers crossed we can bring in some genuine talent in the draft , I like how we ve gone about it , the hosking girls both coming over speaks volumes for our AFLW program

Alana Woodward was picked up by Saints as a delisted free agent.

Bit surprised but I am stoked for Alana. Was a real asset off the field for us. Was hoping she would continue in some type of off field role.

Good luck Woody.

Early in the season, yes

Was listed as medium term with a calf right up to 22/3 which was a few days before our last game against the Dogs.

Just couldn’t get off that injury list all season.

Not sure how many caught the members variety hour last Friday. Matthew Richardson and Jess Hosking hosted and Kate Sheahan was one of the guests.

1. Conceded that they didn't quite get it right first season. Made a massive amount of changes including cleaning out entire coaching panel and bolstered the playing list for season 2. Said Ryan Ferguson was a very clear standout as coach coming form the men's program who had an interest anyway in the women's program with his wife involved as one of the fitness staff.

2. Said our backline was great this season but needed that run and carry so targeted Shevlin for that role. Were specifically looking at the Pies list as they had one of the strongest backlines and thought Shevlin just wasn't getting an opportunity.

3. Alice Edmonds requested a trade so they had to look for a replacement so targeted raw talent Poppy Kelly who she thinks was a steal. From what I gather they delisted Alice to give her a better chance of securing another list spot as a delisted free agent rather than putting a price on her head with a trade.

5. Kate said she thought all the trading was done at that point. Took her son Will to local park for a kick and ran into Sarah Hosking then Jess turns up. Kate got a phone call from Jess next day wanting to join the Tiges with 24 hrs left in the trade period. Blues told them it was impossible to get a deal done. Then Blues said only pick 10 would get the deal over the line and at 1.57pm (deadline 2pm) they told Blues they wouldn't be budging from their stance that #10 was off the table. Received text from Blues saying ok they would do the deal. Rest, as they say, is history. Thinks Jess will be huge for us. Can play multiple positions. Sarah Hosking conceded that she was working the whole year on getting Jess across to us.

Kate thinks they won't be getting a Xmas card from the Blues this year. Hehe.

Last edited:
I can't find it on the Richmond website... do you have a link?

No sorry. Received a link via email from the club which I used to watch live but didn't keep the email.

They did say they would post it on the website this week sometime.

Last edited:
Not sure how many caught the members variety hour last Friday. Matthew Richardson and Jess Hosking hosted and Kate Sheahan was one of the guests.

1. Conceded that they didn't quite get it right first season. Made a massive amount of changes including cleaning out entire coaching panel and bolstered the playing list for season 2. Said Ryan Ferguson was a very clear standout as coach coming form the men's program who had an interest anyway in the women's program with his wife involved as one of the fitness staff.

2. Said our backline was great this season but needed that run and carry so targeted Shevlin for that role. Were specifically looking at the Pies list as they had one of the strongest backlines and thought Shevlin just wasn't getting an opportunity.

3. Alice Edmonds requested a trade so they had to look for a replacement so targeted raw talent Poppy Kelly who she thinks was a steal. From what I gather they delisted Alice to give her a better chance of securing another list spot as a delisted free agent rather than putting a price on her head with a trade.

5. Kate said she thought all the trading was done at that point. Took her son Will to local park for a kick and ran into Sarah Hosking then Jess turns up. Kate got a phone call from Jess next day wanting to join the Tiges with 24 hrs left in the trade period. Blues told them it was impossible to get a deal done. Then Blues said only pick 10 would get the deal over the line and at 1.57pm (deadline 2pm) they told Blues they wouldn't be budging from their stance that #10 was off the table. Received text from Blues saying ok they would do the deal. Rest, as they say, is history. Thinks Jess will be huge for us. Can play multiple positions. Sarah Hosking conceded that she was working the whole year on getting Jess across to us.

Kate thinks they won't be getting a Xmas card from the Blues this year. Hehe.

Number 5 was gold haha. Thanks for posting I completely missed it so thanks for the recap. I really like the changes we’ve made and the direction were now going. Jess coming over is a spectacular addition, she’s going to kill it.

Really looking forward to the draft now it’s exciting.

Lol definitely no Xmas cards 😆

Kate Sheahan's take on the trade period.

Here's the washup.

Clubs can sign delisted free agents (in bold below) right up to 2pm Friday June 25 and final list lodgment is at 4pm that day. (All times AEST)

Blues delisting Winnie Laing was a bit of a shock. Former Sandy Dragons captain selected last draft amid a bit of fanfare. Didn't get a game and now delisted. Richelle Cranston also. Has a bit of X factor but playing in a very poor team hurt her and at 31 Geelong probably looking to give opportunity to younger players.

Interesting also that Brid Stack, who suffered that awful neck injury early in the season remains on the GWS list. At 34 and with a young family was really in two minds whether to play on or not.

LIST CHANGES (as of Wednesday, June 16)

Adelaide:
Chloe Scheer (Geelong), Jess Sedunary (inactive), Renee Forth (delisted)

Brisbane:
Lauren Arnell, Jessy Keeffe, Rheanne Lugg, Emma Zielke (retired), Beth Pinchin, Selina Priest, Jordan Zanchetta (delisted)

Carlton:
Tayla Harris (Melbourne), Jess Hosking (Richmond), Chloe Dalton, Katie Loynes (GWS), Alison Downie, Jess Edwards, Winnie Laing (delisted)

Collingwood:
Maddie Shevlin (Richmond), Abbey Green, Sharni Norder (retired), Jordan Membrey (inactive), Kristy Stratton (delisted)

Fremantle:
Evie Gooch (West Coast), Leah Mascall (retired), Ashley Sharp (inactive, pregnancy), Katie-Jayne Grieve, Tarnee Tester, Jess Trend, Alex Williams (delisted)

Geelong:
Liv Purcell (Melbourne), Aasta O'Connor (retired), Maddie Boyd, Richelle Cranston, Kate Darby, Nicole Garner, Bec Goring, Mia Skinner (delisted)

Gold Coast:
Sally Riley, Sam Virgo (retired), Jordann Hickey, Leah Kaslar, Paige Parker, Molly Ritson, Georgia Bevan (delisted)

GWS:
Elle Bennetts (Western Bulldogs), Jess Dal Pos (Carlton), Aimee Schmidt (West Coast), Jess Allan (inactive), Sarah Halvorsen, Jodie Hicks, Erin Todd, Britt Tully (delisted)

Melbourne:
Chantel Emonson (Geelong), Tegan Cunningham, Meg Downie, Niamh McEvoy, Shae Sloane (retired), Mietta Kendell (delisted)

North Melbourne:
Vivien Saad (Gold Coast), Jasmine Grierson (GWS), Katelyn Cox, Kate Gillespie-Jones, Georgia Hammond, Beth Lynch, Tahni Nestor (delisted)

Richmond:
Sabrina Frederick (Collingwood), Alice Edmonds, Emily Harley, Luka Lesosky-Hay, Akec Makur Chuot, Phoebe Monahan, Cleo Saxon-Jones, Holly Whitford, Alana Woodward (delisted)

St Kilda:
Poppy Kelly (Richmond), Claudia Whitfort (Gold Coast), Selena Karlson (retired), Ali Brown, Tamara Luke, Nadia von Bertouch (delisted)

West Coast:
Mhicca Carter, Beatrice Devlyn, McKenzie Dowrick, Brianna Green, Alicia Janz, Demi Liddle, Julie-Anne Norrish, Kate Orme, Chantella Perera, Katelyn Pope (delisted)

Western Bulldogs:
Ange Gogos, Lauren Spark, Amelia Van Oosterwijck (retired), Katy Herron, Danielle Marshall (delisted), Kim Rennie (opted out of WB)

Last edited:
Yeah, I knew someone was going to pick Phoebe up.

Brisbane has pounced on delisted Tiger Phoebe Monahan, signing the hard-working defender/midfielder as a free agent.

Monahan finished second in Richmond's 2020 best and fairest count but finished this season in the VFLW after the recruitment of Harriet Cordner and Sarah D'Arcy.

The Lions have earmarked Monahan for the defensive role previously held by retired skipper Emma Zielke.

gFm0MMAX.jpg

Back