Current HUGE AFP Sting - 200 organised crime arrests

Remove this Banner Ad

They sure should be a thing, when they're actually violated. I've seen nothing to say in this case they have been, at least by govt officials, but we can be sure they have been by the crims.

The point was that in Australia, human and civil rights are considered weak in comparison. That's something we could probably pay more attention to imo.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I could understand if he was slapped with a restraining order by ordinary Police, but to have 'Counter Terrorism Officers' come to his house and arrest him is totally over the top !! I assume the CTO's became involved because a Politician was involved? The young man didn't appear threatening or aggressive, just upset- I've seen worse at the polling booth when some was given a 'How to Vote for Pauline Hansen' flyer.
Oh and by the way - a woman was keeping him 'at bay' !!

Barilaro was entitled to smack the smart arse & leave it at that.

Krusty Crab

Team Captain
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Havent there been big drug interceptions in WA over recent months without fingering the sources?
there has been quite a few large seizures reported in the media here in WA. i was guessing that someone was talking to the cops, or there was some serious undercover work being put in. if i recall correctly though the large drug intercepts in WA lately have been while the drugs were being moved from elsewhere. a few were on interstate trucks, with one seizure being on a truck as it crossed the WA border. if they relate to this AN0M deal then the items seized could of been getting controlled by interstate people.

Krusty Crab

Team Captain
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
At the 24 second mark, this US reporter says "corrupt cops" when reeling up the different types of criminals caught up in this sting.

At the 8 June press conference, here's what AFP Commissioner had to say about corruption and this sting.

'JOURNALIST: Commissioner, did this uncover any corruption?

REECE KERSHAW, AUSTRALIAN FEDERAL POLICE COMMISSIONER: When you say corruption?

JOURNALIST: Like police officers or other high-ranking individuals?

REECE KERSHAW, AUSTRALIAN FEDERAL POLICE COMMISSIONER: We have been working with the Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity. So where we had intelligence in relation to that, we passed that on to them. That will be something again that down the track, we'll be able to come back to you on with what's occurred there. But, we have seen that trusted insider threat and we've identified some entities and some individuals.

JOURNALIST: Commissioner, is it fair to say that there were police officers or law enforcement officers who had downloaded this app or were using a handset, thinking that it was an encrypted app?

REECE KERSHAW, AUSTRALIAN FEDERAL POLICE COMMISSIONER: To my knowledge, not law enforcement officers, no.'

A few naive questions that come to mind about the above.

Is Kershaw only talking about Australian based Police Officers or Australian based Law Enforcement Officers?

Is there any difference between a Police Officer and a Law Enforcement Officer in Australia, at either Federal or State Level?
Are all Police Officers, formally classified as Law Enforcement Officers?

And, will there be times, when the AFP Commissioner will not be party to every single Law Enforcement or Police Officer (State or Federal) that is the subject of investigations into corruption, from the moment a Law Enforcement or Police Officer (State or Federal) is deemed a suspect due to evidence that arises during an operation of some kind that the AFP is either running or involved in. Or does the AFP Commissioner or a committee he sits on have to be formally notified in writing of these cases of possible corruption?

As the Commissioner says, we might hear more about corruption evidence from this ANOM sting 'down the track'.

interesting answers to the questions put to the afp commissioner as per above. with the second question it looks like there has been evidence of corruption by police officers or high ranking officials. information relative to that has been passed on to the Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity. the next answer says no law enforcement officers had downloaded the app or were using a handset, yet it doesnt say that no other officials outside of law enforcement were using the app or a handset - only law enforcemet officers were confirmed to not be using it.

so from this we can surmise one of the following three scenarios to be true:

1. there has been messages alluding to corruption by law enforcement officers, however these law enforcement officers were not using the app or handset
2. there has been messages alluding to corruption by high ranking officials that are not law enforcement officials, however these high ranking officials were not using the app or a handset
3. there has been messages alluding to corruption by high ranking officials that are not law enforcement officials, and they were users of the app or handset.

i would suggest that if it was point number 3, then we would of already seen arrests relative to this, and stories in the media. as we havent seen that i would say this is unlikely. out of points 1 and 2, i would say point 1 is most likely. variants of law enforcement officers would be the most likely to discover the smuggling of contraband, and paying them off would be the simplest method of having your items transport remain unimpeded. paying off high ranking officials would be of more use once items are discovered, and a means of avoiding further advertising the fact or a way of avoiding penalties. so should we then consider the most likely possibility is border force agents have been getting paid off to turn a blind eye to certain contraband arriving into the country?

Krusty Crab

Team Captain
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Below is a reported credible explanation of the timing of the close of the Anom app.
2.67 million messages a fortnight being monitored by the AFP in April 2021.
'The West' says 25 million messages total.
Looks like the bulk of the messages via Anom were from more recently, as the app appears to have used by more and more criminals as time went by in it's life.

'“The volume [of content] was increasing at a scale and our ability to resource it and monitoring it really wasn’t scalable commensurate to the growth,” Anthony Russo, the FBI’s representative at the US embassy in Australia, told the Herald and The Age.
Popularity surged in July 2020 when European authorities announced an investigation into another platform, EncroChat, which was dismantled. Before the take-down of another app, Sky Global, in March this year, there were 3000 active users of An0m. This surged to 9000 by May.

This week, the AFP said officers were monitoring 40,000 messages over a fortnight in April 2020 and this had increased to 2.67 million a fortnight by April this year.
Despite the vast trove of valuable intelligence incriminating users, the decision to close the app and go public also took into account the expiration of legal authority enabling access to the data, and “resource fatigue” as hundreds of officers dedicated their lives to the operation.'

'“You can only protect the source of your intelligence for so long because the longer that goes you increase the risk that the platform becomes compromised,” Mr Russo said. “We made a strategic and deliberate decision to take down the case on our own terms at a time and a place of our choosing.”'

another reason for the timing of the close of the anom app:

page 9 of the search warrant at the above link discusses the setup of a court order with a third country after USA and Australia. this third country had a legal agreement to send all of the unencrypted communications of worldwide Anom users (besides internal USA users) to the FBI three times a week. this court order was renewed, with the renewed order set to expire on 7 June 2021. could it be that t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Krusty Crab

Team Captain
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
another reason for the timing of the close of the anom app:

page 9 of the search warrant at the above link discusses the setup of a court order with a third country after USA and Australia. this third country had a legal agreement to send all of the unencrypted communications of worldwide Anom users (besides internal USA users) to the FBI three times a week. this court order was renewed, with the renewed order set to expire on 7 June 2021. could it be that t

for some reason it decided to post while typing, please add the following to the above:

could it be that the courts in the "third country" refused to renew the court order again? or should we believe that LE decided to not seek a renewed court order based on the volume of intel? if you have access to a platform used by international criminals to communicate, surely you would try to renew the court order, process as much communications as possible, and seek extra funding for more personnel to process the communications? why play your hand unless your forced when an intelligence bonanza is in play?

also who do we think this 'third country" is? they dont get named in the search warrant. i recall seeing something to do with 5 countries banding together, australia, nz, usa, someone and someone else. (will have to try and find the list) do we think the "third country" would be one of these 5, or maybe a major narco state such as mexico/columbia? if its one of the group of 5 i would assume they would name the country, for it to remain unnamed makes me think its either a narco state, or somewhere potentialy considered a haven for narcos or their cash.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
for some reason it decided to post while typing, please add the following to the above:

could it be that the courts in the "third country" refused to renew the court order again? or should we believe that LE decided to not seek a renewed court order based on the volume of intel? if you have access to a platform used by international criminals to communicate, surely you would try to renew the court order, process as much communications as possible, and seek extra funding for more personnel to process the communications? why play your hand unless your forced when an intelligence bonanza is in play?

also who do we think this 'third country" is? they dont get named in the search warrant. i recall seeing something to do with 5 countries banding together, australia, nz, usa, someone and someone else. (will have to try and find the list) do we think the "third country" would be one of these 5, or maybe a major narco state such as mexico/columbia? if its one of the group of 5 i would assume they would name the country, for it to remain unnamed makes me think its either a narco state, or somewhere potentialy considered a haven for narcos or their cash.

Despite the headline in the below article today
(that media outlet sees bloggers and social media as their competitors/enemies to be attacked at every opportunity)
the article takes up on your above post.

'A final suggestion was that the server, in a mystery third country, that the FBI used to legally copy the AN0M messages, was up for expiration.
The warrant that allowed the FBI to blind copy the messages from the third country was due to expire on June 7 this year.
June 8 was the day the AFP fronted reporters and announced it had pulled off its monumental and historic sting.'

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
also who do we think this 'third country" is? t

Maybe Romania.

'upon a visual DISPLAY of all telecommunication connections I was quite concerned to see the amount of IP addresses relating to many corporations within the 5 eyes Governments (Australia, USA, Canada, UK, NZ who share information with one another) and to make matters worse they were direct connections to the actual proxy servers etc giving me the ability to locate their remote offshore Romanian Server with an IP of 193.27.15.41:
ip: “193.27.15.41”
city: “Bucharest”
region: “Bucureşti”
loc: “44.4180,26.1691”
org: “AS9009 M247 Ltd”
postal: “020331”
timezone: “Europe/Bucharest”'

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Interestingly, that wordpress ANOM Exposed site that was posted from the Google cache at the beginning of the thread, and that I've quoted in my last post, was updated with another long post on 10 June 2021 and the page is back online.

' ...This blog site was initially taken down by myself when the scandal broke as I was not sure which direction LE would take with regards to this.'

'Personally I believe what LE have done here is another form of entrapment and a massive invasion of privacy. Not everyone using the ANOM network was a criminal and I find it very hard to believe that they were simply all to happy to sit back and let criminal offences take place for as long as they did without intervening until news broke that their Operation was potentially about to be compromised as a result of this blog.'

posted bycanyouguess67 June 10, 2021'

AFP has been quoted as saying everyone (in Australia/Australian?) they saw on it was doing something criminal with it.

With the not intervening bit,
here's something relevant to this in the media today.

'Over the past few years, law enforcement around the world has been desperate not to blow the cover of their secret app, only occasionally making arrests when a threat of life or a serious drug bust was detected on it.
When these busts were done, police were always quick to suggest their intel had come from another source.'

LOL .. another one

The AFP said it became aware the cocaine would arrive in Melbourne via Sydney from Hong Kong late last month — and a criminal syndicate operating out of Hong Kong and Turkey was using encrypted communications to coordinate the shipment.

mooloman

Debutant
Apr 2, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don’t know about you blokes but this Anom app is the biggest thing I’ve heard of for years. It’s truly astonishing that professional criminals right at the very pointy end of the ‘craft‘ were pigshit dumb enough not to do some basic research into its origins/ownership. Even if they were too dense to carry out the due diligence they could have at a bare minimum tried to talk in code and be slightly discrete. But no, greed and ego prevailed. Just tally up the amount of Leboghinis impounded so far.....

The question now is, are we going to see the knock on affects of this for a while? Ie is this going to spark off some sort of driveby shoot em up war that could send adidas out of
business in Bankstown?

if that does happen, they generally only shoot each other, so do you really care?

Krusty Crab

Team Captain
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I don’t know about you blokes but this Anom app is the biggest thing I’ve heard of for years. It’s truly astonishing that professional criminals right at the very pointy end of the ‘craft‘ were pigshit dumb enough not to do some basic research into its origins/ownership. Even if they were too dense to carry out the due diligence they could have at a bare minimum tried to talk in code and be slightly discrete. But no, greed and ego prevailed. Just tally up the amount of Leboghinis impounded so far.....

The question now is, are we going to see the knock on affects of this for a while? Ie is this going to spark off some sort of driveby shoot em up war that could send adidas out of
business in Bankstown?

if that does happen, they generally only shoot each other, so do you really care?

i think its quite possible there could be a power struggle to cover the spots vacated by the people arrested. do i care if they start a scenario of shoot first and be on top at the end? yes and no. the selfish side of me says no, if these guys want to wipe them selves out even further then have at it. but there is also a side that does care. not all shootings physically injure only the intended victim, and not all scars are physical. the murder of jason moran and pasquale barbaro will have lasting impacts on the kids and families present on the day. lewis moran was shot to death in a bar near other patrons, im sure they have had some form of trauma from that event.

Might be links here to the execution murder of Bilal Hamze in Sydney recently.

Asked about a contract for killing Mr Hamze, Detective Superintendent Robert Critchlow said police had spoken to Mr Hamze on a number of occasions over the course of the year.

"He's been warned that he's at risk, he's been given advice as to his safety," he said.

"That advice was not received in the sense it was given, he sought to live his life the way he wanted to do and he's made some choices."

He also said police were investigating any link to this shooting to the fallout of the recent Operation Ironside, a recent widescale bust of alleged drug crime across the country.

Detective Superintendent Critchlow said "several arrests" will flow from this.

mooloman

Debutant
Apr 2, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interestingly, that wordpress ANOM Exposed site that was posted from the Google cache at the beginning of the thread, and that I've quoted in my last post, was updated with another long post on 10 June 2021 and the page is back online.

' ...This blog site was initially taken down by myself when the scandal broke as I was not sure which direction LE would take with regards to this.'

'Personally I believe what LE have done here is another form of entrapment and a massive invasion of privacy. Not everyone using the ANOM network was a criminal and I find it very hard to believe that they were simply all to happy to sit back and let criminal offences take place for as long as they did without intervening until news broke that their Operation was potentially about to be compromised as a result of this blog.'

posted bycanyouguess67 June 10, 2021'

AFP has been quoted as saying everyone (in Australia/Australian?) they saw on it was doing something criminal with it.

With the not intervening bit,
here's something relevant to this in the media today.

'Over the past few years, law enforcement around the world has been desperate not to blow the cover of their secret app, only occasionally making arrests when a threat of life or a serious drug bust was detected on it.
When these busts were done, police were always quick to suggest their intel had come from another source.'

It’s not like Anom lured them into importing 2 tonnes of cocaine disguised as rubber dog turds into the country....

The local Leboghini dealer will no doubt be battening down the hatches for tough times.

Bolded might just be another reason why there won't be any arrests in the US to come out of this.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Bolded might just be another reason why there won't be any arrests in the US to come out of this.
Even if there aren't any arrests on US soil of Americans by US Law Enforcement, you'd think they would still find the intel they gathered most useful to assist secure convictions to current and future crimes and misdemeanours by those entrapped by this sting, even if they can't actually use any of it in court as evidence.

Including probably widening/deepening their pool of potential informants, and being the catalyst for some of those incriminated, becoming witnesses and assisting entrap other criminals, or agreeing to provide services to Law Enforcement or National Security Agencies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back