Autopsy Rd 14 - Cats beat Dogs after the siren. The this is gonna be good thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I see a couple of posters have commented favourably on Tim English’s game. Fair enough and interesting that we can see things so differently. I thought he was ineffectual in the ruck and around the ground and appears to have gone backwards significantly in his ruck work. IMO a big mistake not to select Sweet when Martin missed.

Who was the one trying to give Macrae a spray? Was it one of our own teammates? Sounded like Bailey Smith.

If it was him, like HE all of all people can complain, Macrae the only player in the side that turns up each week and has one shocker and Smith who hasn’t touched the ball nor used it effectively since the Cretaceous period is giving him a spray?

Im taking a glass half full approach to this game. Anybody else?

We had this game on a stick with a minute to go and in the end probably lacked a little composure with Scott not kicking the ball wider where it could've been killed out of bounds.
i'm not too disheartened. Should have pinched it, but the positives far outweigh the negatives. Away from the Cattery, with players returning from injury, we are going to beat them.

I see a couple of posters have commented favourably on Tim English’s game. Fair enough and interesting that we can see things so differently. I thought he was ineffectual in the ruck and around the ground and appears to have gone backwards significantly in his ruck work. IMO a big mistake not to select Sweet when Martin missed.

English is a back up ruck who plays forward. That is where he plays his best footy. And the forward line looks more potent.

If we had a competent first ruck playing, English goes forward and we keep Henry and Stewart more accountable and halve more contests.

Others have already made this point and I wholeheartedly agree.

Next week, if Naughton is out, then Martin or Sweet must play and English plays predominantly forward.

Sheesh, it doesn’t get any easier next week against the Eagles in Perth.

Of course the fact that Cameron has missed 5 games and Rohan 2 while your trio hasn't missed a game might have something to do with that...
Not good form for a moderator to come onto another team's board to get into an argument. I'd suggest you refrain from coming back here.

It seems to be a Beveridge instruction to have a full 18 man press during close games, I've seen it multiple times over the years. Not having a goal keeper is simply unfathomable, Cordy having no support shows how ridiculously high everyone was pressed.
This: that Cordy was the only defender within 50 metres of the ball (I might be exaggerating a touch) at the death was unbelievable.

If he didn't contest/clear the ball, we'd have been laughed at by the whole football community. And yet, he STILL cops criticism for his efforts in that piece of play. Effing laughable.

Of all players it had to be that tip rat Rohan. Complete lack of composure in that last minute, how Selwood was allowed to knock that ball on I’ll never know.

Sucks for the boys hoping to have some time off this week and instead heading to a Perth hotel. I wonder if we can work it so our engineered bye week is next week instead. Rd 16 fixture isn’t set yet so request our game vs North to be on the Sunday (hell even Monday), get the red eye out of WA Sunday night and give everyone 3-4 days off like we planned to do this week. Get the AFLPA involved with the fixturing request if we have to, they’ll be all for players getting their time away from the club

This: that Cordy was the only defender within 50 metres of the ball (I might be exaggerating a touch) at the death was unbelievable.

If he didn't contest/clear the ball, we'd have been laughed at by the whole football community. And yet, he STILL cops criticism for his efforts in that piece of play. Effing laughable.
I’m no Cordy fan, but there wasn’t much more he could have done in that situation. He actually did well to beat Dahlhaus to the ball in the first place.

I'm much happier with that loss than I was with the Melbourne and Richmond ones. We had a real crack for the entire game and probably played better than them but just some inexperience/poor structure not having extra numbers back cost us.

For me it's the most disappointing loss. Every team even the great ones have 1-2 performances per season where they don't show up. It happens.

But when you show up you need to capitalise. And the constant disruption to structure costs us too many times. Once again picking 1 ruck cost us that game.

And the major effect of that was not having English in the forward line to make Stewart more accountable. We throw Bruce and Naught under the bus too many times when opposition defenders are happy to peel off players like Hannan and other small mediums to impact Bruce and Naught in the air. Also takes Bruce into the ruck leaving us short in forward line far too often.

I support Bev in 95% of what he does. But i strongly oppose the revolving door nature of structure. Especially the selection policy when it comes to our ruck stocks and whether we choose 2-3 KPD's. Our KPD's weren't to blame last night but common sense suggested on a cold slippery night that a KPD comes out for a small if you want an extra ground ball player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hunter turns the ball over a lot with shitty kicking or hand balling to a guy with 2 opposition players right next to him. Needs to be held accountable for his for poor decision making.
Hunter was fantastic last night.

Do some people watch the game? Or do they just write the same things about players until they retire? He was one of our only mids driving the ball in the last.

It is also not good for a Mod who backs up a supporter who is insulting players and telling them to **** off. Practise what you preach mate.
What????

I was on here till after midnight last night deleting posts, issuing warnings and infractions and trying my hardest to clean up the board, as emotions were running high on here. We were being heavily trolled on the board and via pm's and calling out posters on old Cats threads - it was chaotic. If I somehow offered comfort to someone you dislike, then I'm afraid that's tough - I am very consistent in calling out posters who vilify and abuse players.

Last edited:
Hunter was fantastic last night.

Do some people watch the game? Or do they just write the same things about players until they retire? He was one of our only mids driving the ball in the last.
Sure Hunter might fluff his lines now and then but he bobs up everywhere - such is his capacity to cover such territory - and gets involved in so many plays it's hard to get it right every time. But his decision-making and general footy IQ is outstanding.

That'll teach me for just going by looking at your 3 leading goalkickers on AFL Tables rather than looking at the names. Still, my point stands, our 3 tall forwards had missed more games than your 3, even taking into account English missing for a month.
Pissweak. You came here trying to correct someone stating a fact (whilst also re-quoting the same post on your own board so all of the other Cats fans could have a laugh at it) and were just wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back