Autopsy Rd 14 - Cats beat Dogs after the siren. The this is gonna be good thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL website has the last two minutes up. God knows why but I just watched it.

Don’t go anywhere near it. It’s an absolute calamity. About fifteen poor decisions or mistakes within a 90 second period. God, I’m genuinely deflated all over again.

AFL website has the last two minutes up. God knows why but I just watched it.

Don’t go anywhere near it. It’s an absolute calamity. About fifteen poor decisions or mistakes within a 90 second period. God, I’m genuinely deflated all over again.

I watched it again this morning, was going to take a screenshot of Scott’s kick. He had a teammate ~20m inboard that would have been a better option than kicking to a contest, but worse was Caleb Daniel right in the corridor just inside the centre square. No idea why he was so far up the ground, it seemed like our plan was to get it into the F50 & lock it in. As we couldn’t, it came out and a couple of things went right the Cats way such as Selwood’s punch along the ground which evaded our player and bobbled up perfectly to a Cat. We were much better off looking to kick backwards/sideways rather than going long, although nobody presented well enough to try and get it over the boundary

I watched it again this morning, was going to take a screenshot of Scott’s kick. He had a teammate ~20m inboard that would have been a better option than kicking to a contest, but worse was Caleb Daniel right in the corridor just inside the centre square. No idea why he was so far up the ground, it seemed like our plan was to get it into the F50 & lock it in. As we couldn’t, it came out and a couple of things went right the Cats way such as Selwood’s punch along the ground which evaded our player and bobbled up perfectly to a Cat. We were much better off looking to kick backwards/sideways rather than going long, although nobody presented well enough to try and get it over the boundary

Libba’s errors in keeping the ball in play preceded that, so even though he and a few others had a bad minute or so when Scott juggles but gets paid the mark the clock runs to under a minute. Ball in hand in the middle of the park with less than a minute and we lose it. Given Rohan marked with more than 20 seconds on the clock we’d have lost from that position in way less than a minute.

It beggars belief that we didn’t have men streaming back at that point. When the ball breaks the cats way they’re outnumbering us, how the hell does that happen?!

Hopefully this falls into the category of painful lessons learned that are never repeated, because it was brutal watching it - god knows how it felt playing in it.

Woke up hoping I’d have some more perspective, still absolutely fuming.

MC’s disdain for the ruck position given how well it’s worked with English up forward/second ruck is still completely baffling. They completely f’ed up last night.

Lack of composure in the last minute was so deflating but hopefully that’s a brutal lesson they’ll learn for later in the year.

Finally, Bont played well as he normally does with some real magic (the clearance break and bullet to Bruce’s chest was particularly impressive), but if he’s not practising 20-30m set shots at training this week and basically from now on until he has better muscle memory I think that’s negligent.
Most of these misses from Naughton and bont all seem to involve kicking too close to the man on the mark which naturally makes you off target to avoid being touched by the man on the mark. I see it week in week out.

Crunch time on SEN did a really good analysis of our final 1:30.

Basically, libba stuffed up by keeping the ball in play, dogs forwards by all competing for the mark at the dogs 50 and not spoiling to the boundary, and then hunter and macrae for not chasing isaac smith and the other cats players when they leaked forward.

Reckon Bevo would be tearing his hair out. Lots of basic errors by the dogs.

Would he? Who's responsibility to fix a chronic issue where we concede goals very late on in quarters?

I hope this game is the smack between the eyes Bevo and the coaching stuff need to fix that issue. Because the buck stops with them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mustn't have been around long.... poor comment

40 odd years of watching the dogs and I stand by the comment

what’s poor is anyone even trying to defend that game that had a bearing on the result it was that bad imo

Last edited:
Watching Bevo's Brief he mentions the players failed to execute what they previously rehearsed by way of milking the clock in those tight, high-pressure scenarios towards the end of a close game. Any criticism of the coaching staff in what eventuated last night in those last 90 seconds is unwarranted based on that. As a handful of BF posters have raised, this was a clear lack of on field leadership. I would have hoped any of the 2016 PF brigade would have stepped up - as that was a key lesson in composure under pressure. In any case, collectively as a playing group, we'll learn from it.

Bet the campaigner somehow gets off. Such a tool

He will get off.
Can’t have a NAB Auskick ambassador getting in trouble for that.

AFL will Investigate and Dale and Duryea will be fined for staging.

In the context that we were 9 - 1 to be 10 - 4 isn't great.

And all the teams we have lost to are challengers which puts a question mark on us nearly to the extent of Port

Mate, please. We’ve lost to Richmond (who were severely questioned and determined to prove a point), Melbourne (jumped us early and we played very poorly, they still only won by 3 goals) and Geelong (at Geelong, only with the last kick after the siren and they had a full strength team, we had injuries galore).

Take a Bex and have a lie down. I’m over
last night now. We’re going fine. We will kill this run home, absolutely smash it.

Last edited:
I just remember after the score review where they overturned the umpire's decision I said I hoped we didn't end up losing by five. Still not sure about that call.

Was it a world record for score reviews last night? Seemed like every time the ball crossed the line the umpires lost the ability to do their job. Was *in excruciating to watch.

I just remember after the score review where they overturned the umpire's decision I said I hoped we didn't end up losing by five. Still not sure about that call.

I said at the time I thought the rules were that if a field umpire called touched off the boot he can't call for a review.

Last edited:
Hunter was fantastic last night.

Do some people watch the game? Or do they just write the same things about players until they retire? He was one of our only mids driving the ball in the last.

I actually agree with both of you. Hunter worked super hard last night and was essential in the 4th. But he also is vulnerable to handing out hospital passes. I saw a few last night myself.

Hunter is one of those "take the good with the bad" type players. His kicks can be dinky, he makes some questionable decisions at times, and his goalkicking is amongst the league's worst. But he is our best 2-way runner - even better than Macrae. And he invariably stands up when things get really hot.

I thought we might see a few players go past him this year, as some of our better disposers built their fitness base. But so far I'd say he's going to be irreplaceable for at least another 9 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back