Autopsy Rd 14 - Cats beat Dogs after the siren. The this is gonna be good thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

That game goes to show why Dunkley is so damn vital to this side. When libba is off we need Dunkley as the main extractor on the inside. Geelong punished us too often with clearances when Libba was off.

This is how we matched up when Libba was off the ground last night.

WB / GE
Clearances: 10 / 11
Inside 50s: 12 / 12
Shots: 4 / 6
Goals: 1 / 3

We matched up pretty evenly except for the last few minutes of the 2nd quarter when Geelong kicked those 3 goals.

IMO Garcia would be a perfect replacement until Dunkley or Treloar can get back.

Watching Bevo's Brief he mentions the players failed to execute what they previously rehearsed by way of milking the clock in those tight, high-pressure scenarios towards the end of a close game. Any criticism of the coaching staff in what eventuated last night in those last 90 seconds is unwarranted based on that. As a handful of BF posters have raised, this was a clear lack of on field leadership. I would have hoped any of the 2016 PF brigade would have stepped up - as that was a key lesson in composure under pressure. In any case, collectively as a playing group, we'll learn from it.

Yeah the only problem with that is that last night wasn't the only time we've conceded a goal late in a quarter by not controlling the play. Only thing is, this time, it just happened to result in an after the siren goal that cost the game ie the worst case scenario happened. So sorry its not all on the players or a lack of leadership. This is also a coaching issue. I would hope both as a playing group and a coaching group they all learn from it.

Of course he would, Scott (and his pissant whiney twin) were even more filthy as players themselves.
That flog in an interview said he went to Rohan after the game and told him he wouldn't want the ball in any one else's hands in that situation

Whole club makes me sick

Both the Caleb Daniel and Tom Stewart touched goals were incorrectly overruled by the ARC. Caleb definitely touched that ball and the footage was inconclusive anyway. The Tom Stewart one was touched after the line. The ARC team incorrectly indentified the point at which they thought the hand made contact with the ball. One goal gifted to them and one goal taken from us. The final score was 12.11 vs 11.12.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually agree with both of you. Hunter worked super hard last night and was essential in the 4th. But he also is vulnerable to handing out hospital passes. I saw a few last night myself.

Hunter is one of those "take the good with the bad" type players. His kicks can be dinky, he makes some questionable decisions at times, and his goalkicking is amongst the league's worst. But he is our best 2-way runner - even better than Macrae. And he invariably stands up when things get really hot.

I thought we might see a few players go past him this year, as some of our better disposers built their fitness base. But so far I'd say he's going to be irreplaceable for at least another 9 months.

I can’t be bothered looking for the quote but I have heard Bevo give him high praise because of his in-game tactical awareness.

I remember thinking that since 2016 we have lacked the on field tactical leadership at times due to the youth of the team. With Matthew Boyd or Dale Morris we don’t lose that game the way we did

I can’t be bothered looking for the quote but I have heard Bevo give him high praise because of his in-game tactical awareness.

I remember thinking that since 2016 we have lacked the on field tactical leadership at times due to the youth of the team. With Matthew Boyd or Dale Morris we don’t lose that game the way we did

We wouldn’t have lost it if Woody had played either.

In what universe is Caleb even standing on the mark for anyway? Any danger one of his taller team-mates could stroll on over and relieve him of a duty he’s clearly not built for? That kick would’ve hit some of our taller blokes in the f***ing head!

Last edited:

We lost matches in 2016 (namely v Hawthorn) in similar fashion. The thing is we learnt from it and it rarely happened again during that year. The key is to learn from what happened especially in the last couple of minutes and ensure it doesn’t re-occur. We are travelling more than fine. As disappointing as last night was hopefully it is a lesson learned!

The umpire said he heard a touch

How can they review that??? He heard it or he didn’t. The video cannot be used to confirm that.

Every year they make the game less watchable due to rubbish like that.

Both the Caleb Daniel and Tom Stewart touched goals were incorrectly overruled by the ARC. Caleb definitely touched that ball and the footage was inconclusive anyway. The Tom Stewart one was touched after the line. The ARC team incorrectly indentified the point at which they thought the hand made contact with the ball. One goal gifted to them and one goal taken from us. The final score was 12.11 vs 11.12.
The goal umpire was in perfect position to adjudicate the Stewart one but they only showed footage from the opposite side.

How can they review that??? He heard it or he didn’t. The video cannot be used to confirm that.

Did you hear his pathetic response though? “I thought I heard a touch but I want to check because there’s so much going on in my head”. Clearly wasn’t handling the occasion. I was more upset with the Stewart one though. Looked like there was space above Calebs hand but the video was not conclusive on when Stewart touched our “goal”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you hear his pathetic response though? “I thought I heard a touch but I want to check because there’s so much going on in my head”. Clearly wasn’t handling the occasion. I was more upset with the Stewart one though. Looked like there was space above Calebs hand but the video was not conclusive on when Stewart touched our “goal”.

I haven’t seen a replay of the Stewart one but wasnt it clearly touched ?

That's what I thought. I really don't understand how Nathan Williamson is still umpiring AFL footy.

I haven’t seen a replay of the Stewart one but wasnt it clearly touched ?

Not to my eyes but my glasses may be biased - multi focal distortion?!? And the goal umpire was right there. I hate reviews in cricket and footy. It’s still based too often on educated guesswork. Tennis the only one that works IMO

I watched it again this morning, was going to take a screenshot of Scott’s kick. He had a teammate ~20m inboard that would have been a better option than kicking to a contest, but worse was Caleb Daniel right in the corridor just inside the centre square. No idea why he was so far up the ground, it seemed like our plan was to get it into the F50 & lock it in. As we couldn’t, it came out and a couple of things went right the Cats way such as Selwood’s punch along the ground which evaded our player and bobbled up perfectly to a Cat. We were much better off looking to kick backwards/sideways rather than going long, although nobody presented well enough to try and get it over the boundary
Did anyone tell the players there was only a minute left?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back