Autopsy Rd 14 Loss: Here comes another one, just like the other one

Who played well for the Blues vs the Giants (Blues supporters only)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it was late in the second quarter, the commentary team put up the tackle stats, 30 something to 16, the next stat was GWS 75% kicking efficiency to Carlton 57%, now I’m just a regular fan, but it’s clear they are linked, if you don’t close space, apply pressure and tackle, AFL players will dispose of the ball well.

How do our coaches not see this?

To hear the commentary team constantly be amazed at how much time and space the Giants had with the ball was embarrassing and after the fortnight we have had, the effort of the players spoke volumes.

As I wrote in match thread
It's like having Djokovitch in our team. Seriously unlikeable and annoying with no idea how to play AFL.

Can’t let this slide, whilst unlikeable to many, that man has more determination, grit, hunger and fight in his little finger, than most of our side.

If more of our players had the attitude of him, we wouldn’t be in this position.

Can’t let this slide, whilst unlikeable to many, that man has more determination, grit, hunger and fight in his little finger, than most of our side.

If more of our players had the attitude of him, we wouldn’t be in this position.
Yeah. Pitto has that but doesn't play well. He just grates on me like Joker does. Not sure if it's the haircut that triggers it...

What an insipid performance served up by the CFC yet again. I grew up where insipid performances were few and far between but now unfortunately it seems to be the norm.

How can David Teague sit there and watch the opposition carve us up and not react and chance his game plan to be more defensive is beyond me. He does not change things up and yet to see an inspired move made during the game. He coaches with no emotion just the way we are playing the game.

While the caching needs to be shaken up and changes made its the players that are not up to it and and at the moment it wouldn’t matter who was coaching the results wouldn’t be much different.

Development is poor and outside a couple of players again this year what players have improved from last year, I wouldn’t have thought too many. Why did we get the so called best fitness guru in the business yet we look like we are the least fittest of the lot.

A lot of people were so upset when SOS was moved on but in reality he is a large reason we are where we are today with our list. Brought in 14 GWS players with only Plowman getting a pass mark yet missed on the biggest bargain of all to get from them in Jack Steele. No other trades he did have been winning trades for the CFC and the McGovern trade was just downright horrendous. Then his drafting was just so poor and outside his top 3 picks in the 2015 draft and Walsh who we could have all picked he was a massive failure. Butchered top picks , no gems with later picks and just embarrassing his drafting in the rookie drafts.

Then our Captains who might be inspiring off the field but certainly don’t see anything inspiring on the field
. Doc continues to be unable to defend a man and every game produces his bumbling moments and misses straight forward kicks that just kill momentum and cost goals. Crippa last 2 years of footy has been terrible and he is now a liability in the side. So slow by foot and mind who’s poor skills and dropped marks continues to cost us. Cant rest him forward because even if he does mark it his goal kicking is on par with Levi and just continues to try and do too much. Really afraid the game has passed him by and we will regret sining him up to a long contract. Wasn’t that long ago where the was debate on who was better out of Cripps and Bont but unfortunately now its not even remotely close. If he was playing like Bont we would be a much better footy side and just on that would have won a few more games this year.

What about our high priced recruits in Martin/Saad and Willams how can we get things so wrong. To spend so much of the cap on 3 flakey players is just poor when we needed to get in players that have a fair dinkum crack and make a difference . Zac Willams on reportedly 800k a year for 6 years and turning up out of condition and can only play as a HBF is a disgrace.

Just so frustrated to watch my beloved blues just serve up performances like last night on a regular basis.

People won't "like" your post because none of us want to believe there is much truth there.

However, if Teague and his assistants CAN coach, then a lot of the above is closer to reality than we wish to acknowledge.

We need to actually hope Teague CAN'T coach, because the alternatives you have listed are significantly more unpalatable.

It is infuriating watching the opposition go through the same 3 stages every week. Stage one, they move the ball through overlap running.

When they realise there is non-existent pressure they change it up to chipping the ball down the line.

When they, then, realise they are still given a paddock of space they switch it across the ground and they still move the ball methodically and slowly. And our players are moving across the ground slowly wasting energy chasing but not really chasing, too tired to run back in to defence to sit in the holes.

Kennedy was amazing last night - he ran hard, outmarked mostly everyone and found plenty of the pill.

as far as Williams being “overweight” have you blokes seen a fella by the name of Dustin Martin the past few seasons? Skinnyfat if I’ve ever seen it! Doesn’t stop him being immense. Zorko, Neale, Tippa, Stringer, Daniher, J McGov, L Ryan, Naitanui (just to name a few) are among others who have physiques better suited to a buffet than a footy field - doesn’t stop them from being impactful.

Williams is maybe 2kg overweight, it is not the reason for his performance lapses.. it’s the structure of the team.

I think it was late in the second quarter, the commentary team put up the tackle stats, 30 something to 16, the next stat was GWS 75% kicking efficiency to Carlton 57%, now I’m just a regular fan, but it’s clear they are linked, if you don’t close space, apply pressure and tackle, AFL players will dispose of the ball well.

How do our coaches not see this?

To hear the commentary team constantly be amazed at how much time and space the Giants had with the ball was embarrassing and after the fortnight we have had, the effort of the players spoke volumes.
Agree Kennedy probably played one of his best games for us and Dow showed

Yes agree it was noticeable, just put it down to better skills level , footy IQ and aerobic ability.GWS are an elite studded team, let’s be realistic.
We ain’t anywhere close, especially with a home ground advantage.

The review panel need to be working OT this week to work out exactly wtf went wrong, because it was clear it was a lot.. Every single person at the club should be sat down for a chat.. This will be the defining week as to if Teague stays or goes..

Something else that bothered me last night - that leech Matt de Boer went to Sam Walsh from the first bounce. They dropped the tag a bit in the second half, but in the first half did anybody think to maybe go into bat for the 20 year old copping a hard tag for the first time in his career?

Crippa, Ed - you’re standing next to him at the centre bounce - ******* put a body across. Block him. Tackle to hurt. Let him know that if he wants to sit on Walshy he’s going to need to sit in the ice bath for the next 2 days.

We’ve been horrible at this for years - could you imagine if this was Hawthorn 2013-15 and de Boer tried to sit on Sam Mitchell? Hodge would have run through him and crunched him multiple times. Our team needs a serious dose of campaigner (I think you guys like “mongrel” here)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It took them 2 and half qtrs to get going , to show us they care and it last 20 minutes !!

gws know they have our measure and their kicking efficiency for the whole game stayed around 75% , what’s that telling you about our pressure

and Taranto and de beor shutting down walsh and as per the Carlton. Way , no one steps up to either help him or impact the game on behalf of Walsh
GWS were clearly the superior team, playing to a home crowd too, there’s no mystery to the end result. They were created and supported by the AFL to be successful.

Something else that bothered me last night - that leech Matt de Boer went to Sam Walsh from the first bounce. They dropped the tag a bit in the second half, but in the first half did anybody think to maybe go into bat for the 20 year old copping a hard tag for the first time in his career?

Crippa, Ed - you’re standing next to him at the centre bounce - ******* put a body across. Block him. Tackle to hurt. Let him know that if he wants to sit on Walshy he’s going to need to sit in the ice bath for the next 2 days.

We’ve been horrible at this for years - could you imagine if this was Hawthorn 2013-15 and de Boer tried to sit on Sam Mitchell? Hodge would have run through him and crunched him multiple times. Our team needs a serious dose of campaigner (I think you guys like “mongrel” here)
It’s a tactic of the game, but yes Sam’s teammates should have supported him much better , as most opposition teams now know shut down Walsh, and it’s all over red rover.
Luckily he was only nullified, Marc Murphy was very seriously injured by Copland of the Lions, when he too won best young player to emerge that year.
Good thing Mumford was managed, otherwise it may have been repeated.

I’ve said it for the last five years. We have the worst culture in the league. Our leaders are the worst in the league. Nothing will change until the club makes SIGNIFICANT change. That is why I welcome this review.

Murphy, Ed Curnow, Cas, Eddie and to a certain degree Cripps and Doc have been part of a losing culture/mentality their entire careers. They are all fragile. They go in to their shell when things go wrong. We have no strength, will to win or intestinal fortitude.

I firmly believe the review will call for a clean out of the first four players above and for a strong, younger captain who does not accept half-arsed efforts. Weitering is my choice as Walsh is too introverted.

Can someone describe Stockers game last night. I note he is in the votes. I really like this kid and starting to think if there are players not happy him - maybe they should leave !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Stocker played how you want the team to play; hard at the contest, accountable, excellent decision making and great foot skills (where he made things happen).

Kennedy was good

Was excellent, far better than I expected, where has this Kennedy been? He'd be in every week if he could keep that up.

Stocker was good too, that sublime kick he did to Owies? in the F50, I think it was, sure would be nice to have that in the midfield ffs.

Knowing us though, next week it'll be Murphy in and Kennedy medical sub.

No surprises to see the players with least amount of investment in Teague - play their best games and players who have had the most invested in him play their worst. Damning indictment on the favouratism and BS selection policies that have been ruining young players morale and development at Carlton since Teague took over.

Teague and his failed crew are all on notice and players know it and are playing individual nervous weak football -because they are leaderless, confused and scared.

I’ve said it for the last five years. We have the worst culture in the league. Our leaders are the worst in the league. Nothing will change until the club makes SIGNIFICANT change. That is why I welcome this review.

Murphy, Ed Curnow, Cas, Eddie and to a certain degree Cripps and Doc have been part of a losing culture/mentality their entire careers. They are all fragile. They go in to their shell when things go wrong. We have no strength, will to win or intestinal fortitude.

I firmly believe the review will call for a clean out of the first four players above and for a strong, younger captain who does not accept half-arsed efforts. Weitering is my choice as Walsh is too introverted.

These and many other issues rest with the football department.
Responsibility and accountability must be accepted by those concerned and those responsible for their appointments.
This review needs to be ridgy didge or we’ll be consigned to the footy wastelands forever …

Can someone describe Stockers game last night. I note he is in the votes. I really like this kid and starting to think if there are players not happy him - maybe they should leave !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This! We need more of stockers hunger and arrogance on the field not less! The players are a big part of the problem here. Entitled *en primadonnas starting with both the skippers!

Cripps can * off back to Perth as far as I’m concerned - quick to lecture the boys at the start of every quarter and then not chase or harass or do any team things at all…. Get a band one compo for him and get two top 5 picks and put one on the table for a two way running AFL standard midfielder under 25 (anyone who has a crack, runs and can hit a target will do me!) the other pick take the best midfielder in the draft at that point … must be able to kick the footy!

One other thing is clear as day we need another FB to replace jones … not an 18 year old kid. A 22 year old that’s been in the system a few years that can lock down a player. Doesn’t need to intercept or do any of this fancy stuff just a lockdown fullback! Let weitering interecept god knows if Marchbank ever comes back he can do that to but FMD Finlayson pulled
Jones pants down last night … the guy can’t defend! Put a future first on the table for a lockdown defender that’s ready to go.

Teague see you later champ - sorry hasn’t worked not working, team is rudderless, players played out of position every week, forward transition is amateur at best, defensive intent is non existent… amateur game plan and it’s showing every game. Get Clarkson or ross lyon in as they are the only two coaches In the game who can turn this around.

Players have clearly checked out....

If they have and the Coach ends up paying the price then a few of them should follow him out the door this time. There is no doubt that we have a problem with structure but players deciding when to go hard or not to is as much a problem. Being talented means nothing unless you're willing to bring effort every time.

Back