Amateur Optometry - Selwood

Remove this Banner Ad

It amazes me the dirty unnecessary grubby sh*t the AFL are prepared to overlook or deem only a fine. Then want to have players suspended for 3-4 weeks because they went hard at the football and someone came off 2nd best in a contact sport.

It seems the only thing the AFL fears is lawyers.

This 100% and totally agree. A balanced post that acknowledges this is an AFL wide problem and it wouldn’t matter if you were Joel Selwood, James Sicily, Kyle Hartigan, Nathan Wilson, Taylor Walker or Johnny Fairplay; the AFL is happy to turn a blind eye on unnecessary dirty acts that don’t cause injury.

Half the posters in this thread are here, because it’s Joel Selwood, with their pitchforks at the ready. The last 5-6 years have shown that 99.9% of the time, the AFL are happy to slap these offenders on the wrist, so take your Geelong MRO conspiracies, protected species and your outrage and get back to reality.

When the AFL wants to get serious on these acts, then maybe we might see grub acts like this punished to a level most deem appropriate.

This 100% and totally agree. A balanced post that acknowledges this is an AFL wide problem and it wouldn’t matter if you were Joel Selwood, James Sicily, Kyle Hartigan, Nathan Wilson, Taylor Walker or Johnny Fairplay; the AFL is happy to turn a blind eye on unnecessary dirty acts that don’t cause injury.

Half the posters in this thread are here, because it’s Joel Selwood, with their pitchforks at the ready. The last 5-6 years have shown that 99.9% of the time, the AFL are happy to slap these offenders on the wrist, so take your Geelong MRO conspiracies, protected species and your outrage and get back to reality.

When the AFL wants to get serious on these acts, then maybe we might see grub acts like this punished to a level most deem appropriate.

Hartigan got 3 weeks and caused no damage.

Zorko did the same and got 1 week.

The problem is the AFL sometimes punishes the action and sometimes doesnt.

Over the years eye gouging has seen heavy penalties even with no damage caused. In this case it was 2 fines.

What message does that send? Keep eye gouging until you actually blind someone ?

I don’t think anyone thought he should get weeks, but it doesn’t change the fact that doing that to someone who is lying on the ground is a pissweak act.

Yes, he’s a very, very good player and is very, very tough, but that act was pathetic. It would have been all over the media if certain other players did it, Bailey Smith copped far more from the media for stepping over a player without making any contact earlier in the year than Selwood did for this.

Over the years eye gouging has seen heavy penalties even with no damage caused. In this case it was 2 fines.

What message does that send? Keep eye gouging until you actually blind someone ?
It’s the application of “potential to cause serious injury” They roll it out inconsistently but it’s what they use to justify giving some “softer” acts a higher penalty

I have no problem with the rule but they pick and choose when they want to use it

I was referring to his hit to the back of Hawkins head which received a fine.

To be fair the MRO has consistently taken a harder approach to off the ball incidents, e.g. Gary Rohan on Neale.

I’m not going to argue that there isn’t still an element of chook lotto about it at times. Nor am I going to argue that Selwood’s actions aren’t grubby. But if you can’t see the difference between a proper eye gouge with fingers in the socket and the Selwood incident, then there’s no point discussing it further.

The standards generally and pretty much universally have been set and they are those grubby little ‘in play’ hits, like stomps, knees, pushing faces into the turf are fines. Debating whether they should be is fine, but hard to take most views seriously when they want to play the player and not the actions.

Therefore no penalty. Cant have a future Hall of Famer be an eye gouger. Well, cant have another one with Libba already there.

So there were 2 eye gouges and a leg stomp in one game.

Hocking is going to have a tough job here.

Tough job sweeping it under the carpet and hit Selwood with a wet lettuce leaf.

WTF they graded the stomp as worse than intentional rough conduct to the head and low impact.

I actually thought the one where he stood on the blokes leg could be a clumsy effort as he could argue he was off balance and wasnt intentional. I would have shrugged and said fair enough play on if he got off that one.

But to grade the deliberate attack and face massage with a clenched fist coming in as a 3rd man with the victim on the ground with arms pinned as the lessor charge is simply bat s**t crazy. If Toby Green did that its 2 to 3 weeks.

Can someone explain that to us Mr Hocking? Any conflict of interest to be declared Mr Hocking and the MRP?

And people wonder why Vic bias gets raised so much.

Very amateur optometry given he went for the ears.

One week it should be or fine depending on record and sh*t like that.

Selwoods first jab to the head was around the ears. Then he moved and added a good old fashion face massage / short jab with a clenched fist to the face x 2.

Open the other eye. Selwood can be tough but that isnt tough. Having three cracks at a players head and face whilst he is on the ground pinned by another player defenceless.

Captain courageous? More like captain dog act. Not the look for the captain of an AFL club.

Wasn’t looking at the player so how do you prove intentional?

Not a strike so falls under misconduct which is a fine unless it is serious misconduct. Hard to argue it was forceful enough to meet that threshold.

How much force is required to damage the eye?

It is serious misconduct clenching a fist and repeatidly attacking the face of a pinned opponent on the ground 3rd man in.

It would be for 99% of players. Just not the koala's of the game.

WTF they graded the stomp as worse than intentional rough conduct to the head and low impact.

I actually thought the one where he stood on the blokes leg could be a clumsy effort as he could argue he was off balance and wasnt intentional. I would have shrugged and said fair enough play on if he got off that one.

But to grade the deliberate attack and face massage with a clenched fist coming in as a 3rd man with the victim on the ground with arms pinned as the lessor charge is simply bat sh*t crazy. If Toby Green did that its 2 to 3 weeks.

Can someone explain that to us Mr Hocking? Any conflict of interest to be declared Mr Hocking and the MRP?

Last week Worpel got a week for a dangerous tackle but the dangerous tackle he copped got nothing. Because the media only focussed on the one Worpel did.

But to grade the deliberate attack and face massage with a clenched fist coming in as a 3rd man with the victim on the ground with arms pinned as the lessor charge is simply bat sh*t crazy. If Toby Green did that its 2 to 3 weeks.

So the penalty for a Victorian player involved in an incident with another Victorian player is #VICBIAS :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

With the bye for WCE their fans must be low on #VICBIAS things to complain about this week.

Do you care to go back and find out what punishment Toby Greene got for a similar, yet probably slightly worse incident on Bontempelli in 2019? You might be surprised and your narrative might be affected…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about that Ron, from where I sit he has always played like that. A compilation of Selwood doing heelish things would be quite a long video.

I like Selwood and don't think it's suspension material. It's just the inconsistent media coverage that describes him pushing Baker's head into the ground near the end of the GF as "Selwood fighting it out to the end", or laughs off Mumford's antics that shits me.

Not a good look. Would rather he saves that stuff for Hawthorn. Those campaigners deserve that sh*t.
Martin won a brownlow punching guys 3 times that season.

After all the underserved crap Joel cops from moronic footy followers he deserves a break from someone. The most unfairly persecuted player in the game.

Undeserved. Leave poor Joel alone, all of you.

If he’s sticking his finger in someone’s eye, I’m sure he has a good reason.

I don’t think anyone thought he should get weeks, but it doesn’t change the fact that doing that to someone who is lying on the ground is a pissweak act.

Yes, he’s a very, very good player and is very, very tough, but that act was pathetic. It would have been all over the media if certain other players did it, Bailey Smith copped far more from the media for stepping over a player without making any contact earlier in the year than Selwood did for this.
It’s not all over the media because when you actually have a proper look at this, it’s a pretty inconsequential incident- as the smallness of the fine should tell you. If another player had done this, half of you wouldn’t even be on here because you’d recognise it wasn’t actually such a big deal. If it was Selwood who had been involved in the Mackay incident, I don’t have any doubt that plenty of you would have decided that ‘duty of care’ was a good thing after all and a suspension was warranted.
Selwood is no angel and like lots of players who are competitive beasts, he sometimes crosses the line. This wasn’t really one of those occasions and yes, it deserved a fine but that’s all. I understand Selwood gets people riled up but there is still a need for a balanced view.

It’s not all over the media because when you actually have a proper look at this, it’s a pretty inconsequential incident- as the smallness of the fine should tell you. If another player had done this, half of you wouldn’t even be on here because you’d recognise it wasn’t actually such a big deal. If it was Selwood who had been involved in the Mackay incident, I don’t have any doubt that plenty of you would have decided that ‘duty of care’ was a good thing after all and a suspension was warranted.
Selwood is no angel and like lots of players who are competitive beasts, he sometimes crosses the line. This wasn’t really one of those occasions and yes, it deserved a fine but that’s all. I understand Selwood gets people riled up but there is still a need for a balanced view.

Just don’t do stupid s**t like deliberately putting your fingers in the general proximity of eyes or stomping on legs. Completely unnecessary, has nothing to do with football, isn’t tough and further tarnishes his name. It’s just s**t.

Stop that, and balanced views will start to re-appear.

Just don’t do stupid sh*t like deliberately putting your fingers in the general proximity of eyes or stomping on legs. Completely unnecessary, has nothing to do with football, isn’t tough and further tarnishes his name. It’s just sh*t.

Stop that, and balanced views will start to re-appear.
Haha. No they won’t.

Hitting someone in the face repeatedly isn’t crossing the line?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back