Autopsy Round 14, 2021: Hawks fail against Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised at the negativity. These are the sort of games and efforts people we’re crying out for rounds 5-11, and what most posters seem to say they’ll be happy with before each game. “Don’t expect we’ll win but if we put in 100% and our kids play well then that’s all I can ask for”.

Hurts losing to the scum but a lot of things went right and had we kicked straight we win, it’s that simple.

Our midfielders needs to uplift dramatic..
That what I'm talking about 😉
P. Lipinski 36D 3 Goals 6 Tkls
Finn Callaghan
And our Seamus

This! That crowd was simply embarrassing, cut losses and get out. By far the biggest negative to come out of today’s game (assuming CJ pulls up ok).
20 years down there and “Tasmania” plastered across our jumpers yet we were seemingly outnumbered 2-1 in support. Not sure if there is a big disconnect down there at the moment, but it was an embarrassment to the club.

Surprised at the negativity. These are the sort of games and efforts people we’re crying out for rounds 5-11, and what most posters seem to say they’ll be happy with before each game. “Don’t expect we’ll win but if we put in 100% and our kids play well then that’s all I can ask for”.

Hurts losing to the scum but a lot of things went right and had we kicked straight we win, it’s that simple.

i thought we played better today than we did in round 1

Worpel, Hartigan, Reeves DGB Hanrahan in

Newcombe Moore Ceglar O’Brien Shiels out

Our Midfielders are all too much of same, slow

Would not mind to see Downie and Brockman but we seem to not want to play them
Hope Saunders gets a game soon

Last edited:
Couldn't agree less.
Counter attack is fine when you have the 2013 hawks team with buddy et al up top to capitalize.
Zero chance we can be a successful counter attack team in the next 2 years, and even less assurance that we will somehow become one in the future.
But if you win the footy first, jeez there's a ALOT more options.
Reason it worked against the Swans is that it's easy to pressure on a postage stamp.

Fair enough. And I don't completely disagree with you. Attacking footy is more exciting footy for sure, and I've called out that the Hawks have been looking like only a defensive unit for most of the start of this year. But from my observation, it's been on the midfield to drive that attack, and we just don't see it very often. For me, there's clearly an issue in that area going both ways. You would think that the combination of JOM, Worpel and Mitchell would be great, but it just hasn't been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else come away thinking Harrison Jones is who TOB could be if TOB could catch?

a fair comp actually

i was a little... uh... high, and watching back the Sydney game, and the commentators were talking about how TOB and Sic were from the same time and how TOB hasn't come on as well as we wanted

my brain just thought — how ******* GOOD would Tim have been if he had Sicily's mitts? It's a shame but you know, Timmy is what he is and he delivered us a win vs the Scum in r1 so he'll forever be a hawthorn hero

Just got home, so some observations from my usual seat in the RACT stand.

Midfield got spanked
Bombers first three goals came from 2 free kicks and a Clanger.
Kosi was good
A great lack of a kpd besides Frost, not sure why TOB wasn’t sent back in the 2nd half.
Bad kicking at goal in the 2nd, could have buried them.
Wingard just couldn’t fire, tried his heart out early though. Could have had 3-4 goals.
Umpires, especially in the last not paying free kicks our way and then Essendon would goal from it.

Positives:
We got the ball inside 50 a reasonable amount.
CJ, Scrimmers, Hardwick in my best. Kosi floated in and out, so a shoutout to him.

Negatives: no idea where the hawks supporters were. Whole sections that are regular hawks supporters near me were all bombers supporters.

What midfield? Surprised Titch and JOM got so much of it.

Almost zero running game. The hard running into space from last Friday wasn’t out there today

Goal kicking….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This! That crowd was simply embarrassing, cut losses and get out. By far the biggest negative to come out of today’s game (assuming CJ pulls up ok).

The Tassie love affair finished a long time ago. Have a look at the crowds. We have been lucky to get 10,000 to games.

If it wasn’t for the 5 mill we receive each year we would have packed up and moved back to the G a long time ago.

Speed kills us. That is the think to address at the draft
True, their speed hurt us but it was only by a small margin, wasn’t a drubbing.
And we missed an awful lot of set shots.
What is more concerning to me is how we replace guys like Bruest, Mitchell, OMeara in the coming years.
Also, hate to say it but Burgoyne was really labouring lately , close to the end.

Just got home, so some observations from my usual seat in the RACT stand.

Midfield got spanked
Bombers first three goals came from 2 free kicks and a Clanger.
Kosi was good
A great lack of a kpd besides Frost, not sure why TOB wasn’t sent back in the 2nd half.
Bad kicking at goal in the 2nd, could have buried them.
Wingard just couldn’t fire, tried his heart out early though. Could have had 3-4 goals.
Umpires, especially in the last not paying free kicks our way and then Essendon would goal from it.

Positives:
We got the ball inside 50 a reasonable amount.
CJ, Scrimmers, Hardwick in my best. Kosi floated in and out, so a shoutout to him.

Negatives: no idea where the hawks supporters were. Whole sections that are regular hawks supporters near me were all bombers supporters.

What midfield? Surprised Titch and JOM got so much of it.

Almost zero running game. The hard running into space from last Friday wasn’t out there today

Goal kicking….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarko said before the game it would be tempo footy. When he said that it was always going to be stop start stop start. He basically said if we try and attack too much against Essendon we would be open up.

Our midfield ran shallow (expected with first and second gamers running around). We were a bit short behind the ball. Lacked a bit of speed up forward. Cegs was way outclassed. Burgoyne is obviously cooked.

We planned to play from half back and Impey, CJ and Scrim almost made it work. Kosi popped up when needed but still clear areas to improve.

Kind of exactly the sort of performance I expected.

No one is brave enough to say that Will Day had a bit of stinker? A few poor kicks at end of second and in the third let the scum in for goals.

Too many people play favourites on here.

Day, Burgoyne and Newcombe all had shockers while Howe and Cousins were really solid, but that won't matter to some people.

I don't see a lot of changes being made. Worpel needs to come in and Lewis deserves another go considering his untimely injury.

20 years down there and “Tasmania” plastered across our jumpers yet we were seemingly outnumbered 2-1 in support. Not sure if there is a big disconnect down there at the moment, but it was an embarrassment to the club.
Got to say I was pretty taken aback seeing the crowd .
Almost seemed a 70-30 crowd against us.

I know we get a nice cheque to play there but was a bit of an eye opener given the work we have invested

Remove this Banner Ad

Back