Amateur Optometry - Selwood

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Do you care to go back and find out what punishment Toby Greene got for a similar, yet probably slightly worse incident on Bontempelli in 2019? You might be surprised and your narrative might be affected…

No actually because for a time Greene was also a protected species before the AFL could turn a blind eye no longer.

Obviously Selwood has credits. What is the history with Hocking and Geelong btw. His brother played there didn't he?

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
So the penalty for a Victorian player involved in an incident with another Victorian player is #VICBIAS :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

With the bye for WCE their fans must be low on #VICBIAS things to complain about this week.

Well that's makes as much sense as the Geelong faithful in a trade thread.

Laughable how Cats fans trying to downplay how gutless the acts were second only to the Vic MRP looking after their own.

z547043

Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
No actually because for a time Greene was also a protected species before the AFL could turn a blind eye no longer.

Obviously Selwood has credits. What is the history with Hocking and Geelong btw. His brother played there didn't he?

Ok, so first it was Toby Greene would get 3 weeks for this. Now it’s Toby Greene, post protected species status would… You also said 99% of players would get rubbed out for the same actions as Joel.

The reality is I think almost 99% of players have been getting fines for stuff like this, think Sicily, Mumford and Tom Lynch about 4 different times last year. Show me the 99% who have missed weeks for grubby in play acts. Even the great Chris Judd, who actually inserted fingers in Campbell Brown’s eye socket (which didn’t happen here btw, despite your hysteria) got off without suspension. And yeah he was playing for Eagles at the time.

The reality is that I don’t expect everyone including yourself to like Joel or my team, but if you dislike them that much that all rational and logical debate goes out the window and you can’t actually look at facts or reality, you may have a problem… Or perhaps, you are correct and this is an AFL backed, Hocking-led conspiracy to allow Geelong players to infringe without fear of suspension.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
Do you care to go back and find out what punishment Toby Greene got for a similar, yet probably slightly worse incident on Bontempelli in 2019? You might be surprised and your narrative might be affected…
He got fined $7,500 so 7 1/2 times the punishment.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Actually find it weird that Cats fans could seriously be trying to defend the indefensible… just so far off the play and blatant it's disgusting.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.29.10 pm.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.29.10 pm.jpeg
    436.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.29.15 pm.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.29.15 pm.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.30.34 pm.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.30.34 pm.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.31.04 pm.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.31.04 pm.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.31.09 pm.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.31.09 pm.jpeg
    411.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.31.14 pm.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.31.14 pm.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.31.42 pm.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.31.42 pm.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.31.47 pm.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.31.47 pm.jpeg
    376.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.32.15 pm.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 9.32.15 pm.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 68

z547043

Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Actually find it weird that Cats fans could seriously be trying to defend the indefensible… just so far off the play and blatant it's disgusting.

Not many defending it. General consensus is it was grubby, unnecessary and definitely not in the spirit of the game. Rather, we are defending the accusation that he poked fingers in Dale’s eyes. Clearly didn’t happen, despite how many times you and others want to claim it did.

In terms of being off the play, Dale had the ball, so not sure what you mean by that. In terms of being anything, but a dirty, cheap shot and not a genuine attempt to play the ball, then yes you are correct, but that’s not how MRO determines off the play incidents.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
LOL. Where do you suppose a man’s eyes are Homer?

You are a truly special one.

By that logic, this would also apply:

" You were in St Kilda on Saturday night"

" No, I was in Sydney, a different part of Australia"

" So you WERE in Australia. Where do you think St Kilda is, Homer?"

I do hope you aren't trusted with operating a vehicle or heavy machinery.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
You are a truly special one.

By that logic, this would also apply:

" You were in St Kilda on Saturday night"

" No, I was in Sydney, a different part of Australia"

" So you WERE in Australia. Where do you think St Kilda is, Homer?"

I do hope you aren't trusted with operating a vehicle or heavy machinery.
LOL.
"I was looking for the ball near his "face". That's why my fingers were all over his "face"
"It's not my fault my fingers then went into his eye-socket".
But the ball wasn't near his face.
"D'oh"!

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Ok, so first it was Toby Greene would get 3 weeks for this. Now it’s Toby Greene, post protected species status would… You also said 99% of players would get rubbed out for the same actions as Joel.

The reality is I think almost 99% of players have been getting fines for stuff like this, think Sicily, Mumford and Tom Lynch about 4 different times last year. Show me the 99% who have missed weeks for grubby in play acts. Even the great Chris Judd, who actually inserted fingers in Campbell Brown’s eye socket (which didn’t happen here btw, despite your hysteria) got off without suspension. And yeah he was playing for Eagles at the time.

The reality is that I don’t expect everyone including yourself to like Joel or my team, but if you dislike them that much that all rational and logical debate goes out the window and you can’t actually look at facts or reality, you may have a problem… Or perhaps, you are correct and this is an AFL backed, Hocking-led conspiracy to allow Geelong players to infringe without fear of suspension.

Its not just Geelong players mate. Its the select group of AFL players protected by the system and most of them are either expansion club stars or Vic team stars.

Speaking on 3AW, Collingwood legend Tony Shaw described the incidents as “shocking”, believing if Greene had committed them he’d have been suspended.

“One was stomping on a leg. It was intentional. The other one looked like a little sneako punch. If that was Toby Greene he would be getting three or four weeks,” he said.

“If he had stood on (the leg of the Bulldogs player) the right way he could have cracked a bone and the other one he scraped the face. They are two of the worst things you could do on a football field and I was taken aback that maybe he didn’t get a week at least.”

..........hmmmmmmmmmmm. Sounds familiar!

But King declared the AFL should make a statement and come down harder on perpetrators of misbehaviour by suspending them.

“C’mon mate that’s rubbish. You can’t have players punching players on the head when they’re on the ground,” the Kangaroos great said.

Well looks like others don't agree with you buddy. Both Victorian commentators too.

It is a dead set fact the AFL looks after its star players, more so in expansion sides and the big Melbourne teams. Buddy Franklin, FFS Dane Swan even admitted it in his book, Hodge, Crotchin.......Barry Hall and Selwood. Interesting list. If you are a protected species of the AFL you play and are judged by by a different set of rules than a no name player. That has been the case forever.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s the application of “potential to cause serious injury” They roll it out inconsistently but it’s what they use to justify giving some “softer” acts a higher penalty

I have no problem with the rule but they pick and choose when they want to use it

And who it applies to.

If some no name player gave Selwood a face massage x 3 or stomped on his leg they get a week.

THATS how the MRP roll.

jezza1435

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Its not just Geelong players mate. Its the select group of AFL players protected by the system and most of them are either expansion club stars or Vic team stars.

Speaking on 3AW, Collingwood legend Tony Shaw described the incidents as “shocking”, believing if Greene had committed them he’d have been suspended.

“One was stomping on a leg. It was intentional. The other one looked like a little sneako punch. If that was Toby Greene he would be getting three or four weeks,” he said.

“If he had stood on (the leg of the Bulldogs player) the right way he could have cracked a bone and the other one he scraped the face. They are two of the worst things you could do on a football field and I was taken aback that maybe he didn’t get a week at least.”

But King declared the AFL should make a statement and come down harder on perpetrators of misbehaviour by suspending them.

“C’mon mate that’s rubbish. You can’t have players punching players on the head when they’re on the ground,” the Kangaroos great said.

Well looks like others don't agree with you buddy. Both Victorian commentators too.

It is a dead set fact the AFL looks after its star players, more so in expansion sides and the big Melbourne teams. Buddy Franklin, FFS Dane Swan even admitted it in his book, Hodge, Crotchin.......Barry Hall and Selwood. Interesting list. If you are a protected species of the AFL you play and are judged by by a different set of rules than a no name player. That has been the case forever.

Do you honestly think Green on Bont was not as bad? You have got to be joking

Also selwood got 4 weeks for an incident with no footage and now you are asking for him to cop weeks where there is footage but there is zero injury with the guy barely blinking after a so called “eye” gauge

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

z547043

Debutant
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong

Shaw is clearly going for shock value, but I saw King’s comments and he doesn’t disagree with my view at all. I hold the same view. The AFL should suspend players for incidents like that, but history has shown that they don’t. Whether you are a name player or Joe Bloggs. Callum Mills got a fine for a groin shot a few weeks back. Sam Wicks for an unnecessary elbow in a tackle earlier in the season. Basically go through every MRO misconduct charge in the last 10 years and you’ll find 99% of them get a fine.

I’m not going to argue that big name players don’t get a discount or latitude at certain times with the MRO, but that’s got absolutely zilch to do with this incident and this is not an example of this. Your inability to distinguish this, means it’s probably not worth continuing to debate this with you, but for the record you’ve shown zero evidence or examples of the 99% of players who get rubbed out for these types of in play incidents, yet continue to state it as though it’s a fact.

Back