Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Jackson Callow!

Remove this Banner Ad

Good set shot from 50 on a slight angle for a goal. Keep hearing his kicking for goal is questionable, but that one straight over the goal umpires hat.

Something to work with for sure
On that SANFL footage that was posted he's got a set shot on a tight angle in the right pocket 48 out and the commentator is saying during pre season they were filming him and he was kicking them from there for fun...and then he nailed the one in that game.

So the talk of his kicking being dodgy bemused me.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Callow might play before Jeka given his size and strength would be better suited to senior football.

He's the safer bet at this stage since he won't be outmarked or blocked off the ball as easily. I guess you've gotta weigh that against the upside of Jeka's athleticism, kicking and leading nous.

It's definitely good to have the variety of playing styles and a bit of competition.

Good set shot from 50 on a slight angle for a goal. Keep hearing his kicking for goal is questionable, but that one straight over the goal umpires hat.

Something to work with for sure

It worked for him on the weekend. Personally I don't like long run ups (more to go wrong) and he was moving the ball a lot. Had a technique that looked unreliable. Looking forward to seeing whether he can become a reliable kick on his own or whether someone needs to change that technique. What a unit, and could become our best contested mark forward in a long time, very excited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was wearing 25 at BHH, not 45 that he was given by the club.

Not unhappy about that

Think it's simply they would have had BHH jumpers already for Patton and they re-used those rather than printing a 45 which didn't previously exist. Think Sonsie wore 25 also when he came for a kick?

Has anyone seen Jackson Callow in person. From the videos and TV I have seen, he doesnt appear to be a geniune 195cm tall which he is documented as being. Is this because he is well built.
Havent personally but my mate has , reckons he is a genuine 6'4.

In a team that is completely bereft of players that can take contested marks, it makes sense for Callow to be given an opportunity sooner rather than later.

The contrast in how many marks down the line we were able to take against the Swans versus Essenscum was stark and the reason between the margins. The effort wasnt all that different.

In a team that is completely bereft of players that can take contested marks, it makes sense for Callow to be given an opportunity sooner rather than later.

The contrast in how many marks down the line we were able to take against the Swans versus Essenscum was stark and the reason between the margins. The effort wasnt all that different.
Yep. But Clarko still keen on playing TOB.

They will be an interesting side the Dons. They are running with a lot of mobile marking talls and were no match for them in reality. When it got slippery it levelled the playing field a bit. The effort was there from our boys which is pleasing.

TOB has some sort of strange mental hold over Clarko, the other selection staff and some of our supporters. It's utterly bizarre.
TOB has no mental hold over me. I am acutely aware of his limitations. IMO the issue comes down to an old Alan Jeans saying about football
When you have the ball, when they have the ball and when the ball is in dispute. Overall the coaching staff believe that TOB does it better than the others at the moment waiting in the wings including Lewis and Jeka. It won't stay that way hopefully going forward but its the fundamental principle at the club that you focus on all three modes and have a defensive mindset. TOB might even go out this week for Lewis or Jeka but I think we will suffer for it defensively. The change is not just about the one player but the team.

Callow also needs to learn structures, game plan, if he comes in and gets lost to often it can expose team defence and also can impact fwd structures and leading patterns.
Thus without it, the learningshe could be a net negative to the side until he knows it.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back