VFL Williamstown vs Richmond, Sunday June 20, 2.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

imagine playing for a team called the seagulls

most annoying little campaigners out
Imagine supporting Richmond right upto first bounce then those campaigners until final siren. ;)

Yeah I was really impressed with Ryan. Took some hits in marking and ruck contests but kept getting up and competing.
First game this year where he’s done that amount of ruck work.
Will be a very good player with a couple of big preseasons in the gym
Good replcement for CJ.

Miller can be the Gorilla Killa ie the Dave replacement.

Balta for the Intercept Key Tall.
100%.
Miller has never been an interceptor.
Has all the traits on being the Astbury replacement but with more athletic ability.Already has leadership.

Thought Naishy was terrible first half
But excellent second half
More second half less first half
Please

Spot on!

Nobody on this board is more a fan of Naish potential then i BUT that does not mean you cant ignore what he has produced to date in his career in seniors as well as VFL. He does a lot right but for a player who main strength his ability to link play and hit targets he to often miss kicks. I believe he tries to do to much with the ball and that is what is holding him back, and what I saw yesterday, its still and issue. Some are to blind to see it.

Hope he gets it out of his game because I rate the kid and it would be a shame if he does not make it. He has done a lot of work, like I said during the game, his defensive positioning was fantastic, 10 marks, his link play was good but his kicking, particularly in the first half was shameful. Unfortunately its a trend in his game

Yep.Sampson had a few chances in the last to clunk a mark.(Strong part of his game).

Parker had a chance to goal about 45 seconds before they equalised. Should have nailed it.

Spot on!

Nobody on this board is more a fan of Naish potential then i BUT that does not mean you cant ignore what he has produced to date in his career in seniors as well as VFL. He does a lot right but for a player who main strength his ability to link play and hit targets he to often miss kicks. I believe he tries to do to much with the ball and that is what is holding him back, and what I saw yesterday, its still and issue. Some are to blind to see it.

Hope he gets it out of his game because I rate the kid and it would be a shame if he does not make it. He has done a lot of work, like I said during the game, his defensive positioning was fantastic, 10 marks, his link play was good but his kicking, particularly in the first half was shameful. Unfortunately its a trend in his game

I feel like he has a bit of the Shorts about him in that his kicking is a weapon and so, as a result, often comes across like he feels he has a responsibility to break the game open with it, when a simple 25m kick to a team mate is a better option than the long down the line.

Good replcement for CJ.
Good call 👍
Ryan has been fantastic as a forward and ruckman for first year underdeveloped Giraffe.

He’s got a bit of attitude about him too, which is a great thing. Never sooked once yesterday when smashed in contests, straight up and gave it to the opposition.

X said he probably needed to play a bit more to his strengths yesterday. Tried to body a bit too much rather than using his height and long arms to advantage in marking contests

Good call 👍
Ryan has been fantastic as a forward and ruckman for first year underdeveloped Giraffe.

He’s got a bit of attitude about him too, which is a great thing. Never sooked once yesterday when smashed in contests, straight up and gave it to the opposition.

X said he probably needed to play a bit more to his strengths yesterday. Tried to body a bit too much rather than using his height and long arms to advantage in marking contests
Is a natural footballer to me.Which is odd considering he's a Qld boy.
Without putting to much pressure on him.With his tapping he reminds me of Max Gawn ,but with better fwd craft.

Without putting to much pressure on him.With his tapping he reminds me of Max Gawn ,but with better fwd craft.

Better kick too. Kicked 11.4 at VFL level. Will be a weapon for us in the next couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better kick too. Kicked 11.4 at VFL level. Will be a weapon for us in the next couple of years.
He'd put a fair few team mates at both levels to shame.

Has the most upside of any of our u20s imo.
Haven’t seen him play a bad game yet.
Don’t expect to see him anytime soon though in the AFL, needs kgs

Last edited:
Very impressive hitout for the vfl side against a quality opp - if you were to select a vfl side to challenge our side - Willy would be it. A couple of things stood out for me...

- Parker is a weapon - tackles hard, gets in the opp face, kicks goals, runs fast, has skills, plays Tigers style - 100 milies an hour - get him in while he's in form
- Ryan - is going to be a quality pickup for us, dominated the ruck, good ground skills and very smart
- Umpires suck in VFL too
- Dow was tagged hard and couldn't find a way to get the ball - what he did was quality
- Ross, Naish, D Rioli - were all solid without demanding to be called up
- RCD was good but coughed it up a few too many times when clear for my liking
- Mansell - I'd forgotten how good he is, played a great game - hard at it, composed and good disposal
- Stack is ready to go - played a very composed and mature game and got better as the game wore on so fitness doesn't seem to be an issue. Commentators seemed to want to blame him for a few things ie not manning up etc but I think they mistook him for egg a few times
- MRJ - looks awesome - I think if he was playing in AFL he would be good for us - great defensive pressure, he is scary fast over the first 10, amazing skills - even if he gets only 10 possies he can change games
- Disappointed not to see Maaate play
- Cumberland - like the way he goes about it, good and honest but not sure he has the skill for AFL
- EGG - saw him squib a couple of times but great skills but will not play AFL for tigers again
- HRS - was targeted by Willy and lost his composure a few times but will learn and it fired him up a bit - he has a bit of nastiness about him - will be better for the run
- Pickett - a class above - wtf was he doing playing VFL anyway? Bloody hell he tackles hard and tackles to hurt - just goes a bit too high - he tries to get under their arm pit/chest rather than waist/hips - so when the player drops the knees - his tackles most often slip high and over the top - so its an easy decision for the ump but at least he makes them earn it!
- Mitch Hibberd is a w***er - learn the rules you tosser
- a high quality tough VFL game - a really good hit out for our boys

From that game I would say in order of AFL readiness and ready to go would be Pickett, Parker, Ryan, RCD, Mansell, Stack, HRS and MRJ.

Has the most upside of any of our u20s imo.
Haven’t seen him play a bad game yet.
Don’t expect to see him anytime soon though in the AFL, needs kgs
Agree.Think he softens the blow if CJ does leave.
I know he got canned but i think Cumberland could surprise.
Has that Caddy feel about him.

Agree.Think he softens the blow if CJ does leave.
I know he got canned but i think Cumberland could surprise.
Has that Caddy feel about him.
Agree about Cumberland👍 He’s coming off a serious knee injury and could take a good 12 months to get back his confidence and touch

Very impressive hitout for the vfl side against a quality opp - if you were to select a vfl side to challenge our side - Willy would be it. A couple of things stood out for me...

- Parker is a weapon - tackles hard, gets in the opp face, kicks goals, runs fast, has skills, plays Tigers style - 100 milies an hour - get him in while he's in form
- Ryan - is going to be a quality pickup for us, dominated the ruck, good ground skills and very smart
- Umpires suck in VFL too
- Dow was tagged hard and couldn't find a way to get the ball - what he did was quality
- Ross, Naish, D Rioli - were all solid without demanding to be called up
- RCD was good but coughed it up a few too many times when clear for my liking
- Mansell - I'd forgotten how good he is, played a great game - hard at it, composed and good disposal
- Stack is ready to go - played a very composed and mature game and got better as the game wore on so fitness doesn't seem to be an issue. Commentators seemed to want to blame him for a few things ie not manning up etc but I think they mistook him for egg a few times
- MRJ - looks awesome - I think if he was playing in AFL he would be good for us - great defensive pressure, he is scary fast over the first 10, amazing skills - even if he gets only 10 possies he can change games
- Disappointed not to see Maaate play
- Cumberland - like the way he goes about it, good and honest but not sure he has the skill for AFL
- EGG - saw him squib a couple of times but great skills but will not play AFL for tigers again
- HRS - was targeted by Willy and lost his composure a few times but will learn and it fired him up a bit - he has a bit of nastiness about him - will be better for the run
- Pickett - a class above - wtf was he doing playing VFL anyway? Bloody hell he tackles hard and tackles to hurt - just goes a bit too high - he tries to get under their arm pit/chest rather than waist/hips - so when the player drops the knees - his tackles most often slip high and over the top - so its an easy decision for the ump but at least he makes them earn it!
- Mitch Hibberd is a w***er - learn the rules you tosser
- a high quality tough VFL game - a really good hit out for our boys

From that game I would say in order of AFL readiness and ready to go would be Pickett, Parker, Ryan, RCD, Mansell, Stack, HRS and MRJ.

Parker also undisciplined. Would fit right in to the seniors.

Also, based on what I saw yesterday, I wouldn't be against offering Ebinger a rookie deal. Would be decent medium marking forward for us.

Parker also undisciplined. Would fit right in to the seniors.

Also, based on what I saw yesterday, I wouldn't be against offering Ebinger a rookie deal. Would be decent medium marking forward for us.
Barely touched it after Mansell went on to him I thought. Mansell is very close checking after Ebinger got a free run at it early on.

Agree about Cumberland👍 He’s coming off a serious knee injury and could take a good 12 months to get back his confidence and touch

Spot on re Cumberland. Way too early to be judging him. He is playing in a bit of unsuitable role, 3-4 games off an ACL and could easily have had 2-3 goals. I really like the look of this guy and I think if we are patient we could have a nice player on our hands. Has already produced a sensational goal square grab and a brilliant snap goal in his first couple of outings off the knee. I would think his natural habitat would be more around wing/half back, but also may have the strength and speed to be an inside mid.

Just let him run around in the VFL this season and let’s look forward to what he can produce 2022 off a full pre-season, all going well.

Spot on!

His kicking is shocking must have been a miracle to slot 2 goals from a distance to nearly win the game. Sorry how many senior games has he had so I know he cant improve. Poo forget it I'm blind I didn't see a thing! I know noting.

Spot on!

Exactly,,keep it a bit more simple play the percentages, ,his defensive side is getting much better reads the ball well and is a lot more confident backing into a pack to mark,,,he definitely has a weapon with his right foot
Just better judgement in when to let it rip,and when to play safe,,
I really hope he makes it too
,he is very popular at the club,infectious personality,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back