Review Hamish 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Rendell was no better overall IMO, I think the loss of Stewart and the dwindling of our scouting stocks has put us back a bit.

I mean I wouldn't listen to Rendell these days, he's on the crocmedia gravy train.

Our recruiting team has been decimated over the last few years. This has impacted us severely:mad:

2018 was a fail for me, not so much for the draft itself, but for not doing enough beforehand to move up the draft order.

It depends on what you end up with, not what moves you make.

The draft is a fail if we spent big on acquiring Rozee and he failed here, which considering the mess we were (and probably still are to a degree) in certainly isn't out of the question.

But we know for a fact the recruiters wanted Tim English and Pyke overruled them.

FFS. First we have my truth, now we have have my dictionary. That’s neither factual or even true.

I and others heard it from a Phil Bunn interview. Jenny and Kristof posted here they heard it directly from Pyke at a club function.

That’s been discussed many times and your take is wrong.

It’s super ******* annoying when old, settled issues are brought to life again, just for the pleasure of the short of attention

Pyke didn’t have authority over Hamish.

The ******* end. Period

No, a Phil Bunn interview was my source. But it was good to see it corroborated by others, they are both Brisbane based and it was a Brisbane based Crows function.

I agree with your last sentence.

No. You heard what you wanted to hear. How the duck would Phil Bunn even know?

And again, Pyke didn’t have the ability to overrule anyone. And didn’t

For discussion purposes:

Matt Rendell:

ND -
Patrick Dangerfield
Andy Otten
Myke Cook
Tony Armstrong
Aaron Kite
Phil Davis
Shaun McKernan
Rory Sloane
Tom Lee
Will Young
Daniel Talia
Jack Gunston
Sam Shaw
James Craig
Brodie Smith
Jarryd Lyons
Sam Kerridge
Mitch Grigg
Nick Joyce
Cam Ellis-Yolmen

Rookie Draft:
James Moss
Jared Petrenko
Ed Curnow
Brodie Martin
Ricky Henderson
Chris Schmidt
Brian Donnelly
Luke Thompson
Matthew Wright
Matthew Jaensch
Tim Milera
Jake von Bertouch
Lachlan Roach
Ian Callinan
Sam Martyn
Rory Laird
Dylan Orval
Tim McIntyre
Will Young (again)

Expansion mini-draft:
Brad Crouch

Hamish Ogilvie:

ND-
Rory Atkins
Sam Siggins
Matt Crouch
Riley Knight
Jake Lever
Harrison Wigg
Mitch McGovern
Harry Dear
Wayne Milera
Tom Doedee
Jordan Gallucci
Myles Poholke
Elliott Himmelberg
Ben Davis
Darcy Fogarty
Andrew McPherson
Chayce Jones
Ned McHenry
Will Hamill
Lachlan Sholl
Fischer McAsey
Harry Schoenberg
Josh Worrell
Ronin O'Connor
Lachlan Gollant
Riley Thilthorpe
Luke Pedlar
Brayden Cook
Sam Berry
James Rowe

Rookie Draft:
Kyle Hartigan
Jack Osborn
Tim Klaosen
Charlie Cameron
James Battersby
Jake Kelly
Alex Spina
Reilly O'Brien
Keenan Ramsey
Anthony Wilson
Paul Hunter
Jonathon Beech
Hugh Greenwood
Alex Keath
Sam Shaw (again)
Ben Jarman
Patrick Wilson
Cam Ellis-Yolmen (again)
Lachlan Murphy
Jackson Edwards
Kieran Strachan
Paul Hunter (again)
Jordon Butts
Ben Keays
Ben Crocker
Bryce Gibbs (re-listed)
Tariek Newchurch
James Borlase

PSD:
Jackson Hately

Supplemental:
Nick Murray

Mid season rookie:
Patrick Parnell

It was only a page ago that it was corrected that Laird was not under Hamish’s watch

When it comes to Luke Edwards the biggest unknown I want to uncover is why his form wavered so wildly from his underage year where he was projected to go in the first round, to his draft year where he almost went completely undrafted (6th to last pick after NGAs).

Considering 60% of the draft prospects didn't even play in 2020, that slide was dramatic..
Probably because he didn't have a big leap, or electric pace, or a 60m kick, or run a marathon each day. The recruitment industry is obsessed with those visible attributes. His dad would never have been drafted either in the current day and age.

No, a Phil Bunn interview was my source. But it was good to see it corroborated by others, they are both Brisbane based and it was a Brisbane based Crows function.

I agree with your last sentence.
The interview said Pyke asked for speed which is different to asking for Gallucci.
At the time there were plenty of melts, 1 year in and no-one knows the effects of the s**t show that followed for the next 2 years.
Good environments produce good footballers. Crap ones spit kids out very quickly.

The interview said Pyke asked for speed which is different to asking for Gallucci.
At the time there were plenty of melts, 1 year in and no-one knows the effects of the s**t show that followed for the next 2 years.
Good environments produce good footballers. Crap ones spit kids out very quickly.
Agreed. Nobody has ever said Pyke asked for Gallucci specifically, to my knowledge.

If Nicks “asked for speed”, might we have skipped one or more of Schoenberg Pedlar and Berry for someone with more speed?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For discussion purposes:

Matt Rendell:

ND -
Patrick Dangerfield
Andy Otten
Myke Cook
Tony Armstrong
Aaron Kite
Phil Davis
Shaun McKernan
Rory Sloane
Tom Lee
Will Young
Daniel Talia
Jack Gunston
Sam Shaw
James Craig
Brodie Smith
Jarryd Lyons
Sam Kerridge
Mitch Grigg
Nick Joyce
Cam Ellis-Yolmen

Rookie Draft:
James Moss
Jared Petrenko
Ed Curnow
Brodie Martin
Ricky Henderson
Chris Schmidt
Brian Donnelly
Luke Thompson
Matthew Wright
Matthew Jaensch
Tim Milera
Jake von Bertouch
Lachlan Roach
Ian Callinan
Sam Martyn
Rory Laird
Dylan Orval
Tim McIntyre
Will Young (again)

Expansion mini-draft:
Brad Crouch

Hamish Ogilvie:

ND-
Rory Atkins
Sam Siggins
Matt Crouch
Riley Knight
Jake Lever
Harrison Wigg
Mitch McGovern
Harry Dear
Wayne Milera
Tom Doedee
Jordan Gallucci
Myles Poholke
Elliott Himmelberg
Ben Davis
Darcy Fogarty
Andrew McPherson
Chayce Jones
Ned McHenry
Will Hamill
Lachlan Sholl
Fischer McAsey
Harry Schoenberg
Josh Worrell
Ronin O'Connor
Lachlan Gollant
Riley Thilthorpe
Luke Pedlar
Brayden Cook
Sam Berry
James Rowe

Rookie Draft:
Kyle Hartigan
Jack Osborn
Tim Klaosen
Charlie Cameron
James Battersby
Jake Kelly
Alex Spina
Reilly O'Brien
Keenan Ramsey
Anthony Wilson
Paul Hunter
Jonathon Beech
Hugh Greenwood
Alex Keath
Sam Shaw (again)
Ben Jarman
Patrick Wilson
Cam Ellis-Yolmen (again)
Lachlan Murphy
Jackson Edwards
Kieran Strachan
Paul Hunter (again)
Jordon Butts
Ben Keays
Ben Crocker
Bryce Gibbs (re-listed)
Tariek Newchurch
James Borlase

PSD:
Jackson Hately

Supplemental:
Nick Murray

Mid season rookie:
Patrick Parnell

I've also tried to forget about Jarrhan Jacky.

It was only a page ago that it was corrected that Laird was not under Hamish’s watch
Yes it was. He was a rookie pick of Rendell. And a bloody good one.

2018 was a fail for me, not so much for the draft itself, but for not doing enough beforehand to move up the draft order.

Absolutely.

It's impossible to view that draft without the decision to retain Lynch.

Absolutely.

It's impossible to view that draft without the decision to retain Lynch.

Retaining Brad Crouch was the real disaster of that trade/draft period. Lynch may have gotten us another second round pick, but at the time we still could have gotten a pick in the low teens for Crouch, which should have been enough capital to beat Port to the punch. Instead we let him run his value down on and off field and got a second round selection for him 2 years later. One of the worst decisions the club made in recent history.

Retaining Brad Crouch was the real disaster of that trade/draft period. Lynch may have gotten us another second round pick, but at the time we still could have gotten a pick in the low teens for Crouch, which should have been enough capital to beat Port to the punch. Instead we let him run his value down on and off field and got a second round selection for him 2 years later. One of the worst decisions the club made in recent history.
Kelly said we were never going to give b crouch a 5 year deal so why not trade him after he won the bnf? Unbelievably bad list management. Reid and whoever else involved should of been sacked.

We already had the picks.

Fremantle traded pick 6 (and a future 3rd) for pick 11, 23, 30 and 49.

We had picks 8, 15, 20 and 38... and received pick 13 for Mitch McGovern.

More than enough to grab that Fremantle pick and nab Ben King at least
Absolutely this. I argued this for a long time. We had the picks earlier as well so really could have got in on the front foot. Even if we could have only got to pick 5 it would have given us either rozee, b king or bailey smith. Still schittz me to this day

Absolutely this. I argued this for a long time. We had the picks earlier as well so really could have got in on the front foot. Even if we could have only got to pick 5 it would have given us either rozee, b king or bailey smith. Still schittz me to this day
Not getting Rozee or Ben King was a major fail by our club. Smith is overrated and would have left after 2 years. Don't really rate him at all. King and Thilthorpe would probably be the most dominant forward line pairing ever seen. We should be targetting King end of 2022 when OOC. He will definitely leave GC imo.

Last edited:
Kelly said we were never going to give b crouch a 5 year deal so why not trade him after he won the bnf? Unbelievably bad list management. Reid and whoever else involved should of been sacked.
If you believe what I was told, which has been verified by others here, we tried to trade Brad at the end of 2019 and the AFL kiboshed the deal.

There was a reason Barrett was so bullish on Brad to the Gold Coast that off-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back