Recommitted Brayden Maynard [contracted and staying at Collingwood]

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree he is better than Saad (and younger) but Melbourne is not Carlton so not sure they'd pony up pick 8 or equivalent. They'd probably get Melbs late teen first rounder though.

Surely not true though? Have to be a dozen other players you'd let go before Maynard.

We have loads to give away. Not many where we wouldn't have to pay their salary and give picks for a club to take them off our list.:D

Aish for Josh Thomas , Will Hoskin Elliott, Tom Wilson , Jack Madgen , Pies future 3rd round pick

Weideman + 2nd round pick

Does anyone actually rate Weideman ? Looked at his career stats compared to Schache. Interesingly taken same draft , 7 picks apart. Schache has him covered in everything and is languishing in the 2s. Would be an easier get and less cost. Not that id want either at the pies

Weideman‘s value has plummeted as it stands. And for him to be OOC he isn’t doing himself any favours. We as Melbourne supporters keep hoping he’ll get there. He has shown signs previously.

Does anyone actually rate Weideman ? Looked at his career stats compared to Schache. Interesingly taken same draft , 7 picks apart. Schache has him covered in everything and is languishing in the 2s. Would be an easier get and less cost. Not that id want either at the pies

Last five games at senior level have been awful but prior to that he’d kicked about 20 goals in 3 games at Casey and pundits everywhere we’re talking him up. He’s a risk no doubt but he’d be the steak knives in this deal. Pies need key forwards plus he brings that famed Weideman name with him. Pick 25 & Weid would be my opening gambit for Maynard.

Last five games at senior level have been awful but prior to that he’d kicked about 20 goals in 3 games at Casey and pundits everywhere we’re talking him up. He’s a risk no doubt but he’d be the steak knives in this deal. Pies need key forwards plus he brings that famed Weideman name with him. Pick 25 & Weid would be my opening gambit for Maynard.

Ill highlight some key points of you trying to sell a lemon

- Last five games at senior level have been awful < We already have players capable of doing this and currently doing this.
- he’d kicked about 20 goals in 3 games at Casey < VFL is never a good judgement for peformance at AFL level
- He’s a risk no doubt but he’d be the steak knives in this deal < Steak knives are generally something extra. 25 for Maynard isnt going to do it.
- Pies need key forwards < That is the only thing youve been bang on about. Feel like Weid isnt main focus material
He is playing behind TMAC and cant get a kick currently. So not getting the best key defender.
- plus he brings that famed Weideman name with him < lol

Is your whole post tongue in cheek , since ive broken it down im starting to think it is

Saying all this. Our list managers are dumbheads and will probably do Weid plus 2nd Round Pick for Maynard and we will pay Maynards salary for 5 years

Think he's definitely in conversation to be amongst in the top handful of defenders who can play on both smalls/talls with an ability to run/carry too. Has showed a lot in the amount of games he has played already but I think his best is still yet to come. Was fairly close to AA selection a couple of years ago too.

In terms of value, definitely not a top ten pick on the open market. The Saad deal isn't even close to a benchmark. Saad is in the prime of his career (age wise) and more proven and sure, knock some of Saad's ability in comparison to Maynard but Saad is a little more proven. That's not a knock against Maynard, I just think we certainly need to see more.

I think on the open market Maynard is respectfully and logically somewhere between a late first-round to early second-round pick as it currently stands. No club in their right mind would trade an early first-round pick for him, not like he's a BnF winner or has gone AA in his role down back. I know Saad wasn't either, but for where he was form wise + multiple high-end polls in Essendon's BnF etc it almost dictated that pick trade to get it done. Obviously Saad's form at Carlton currently doesn't see how it warranted a high-end first selection but that has a little to do with Carlton's struggles as a whole. Maynard though, definitely not a top ten selection on the open market, that's massive overs.

Just generally though, Collingwood would be foolish to let him walk. He's definitely in their top half a dozen players in terms of both importance and also going ahead into the future. The way the game is played too, players of his ilk are worth their weight in gold. It just wouldn't make sense having a player of his age + what he's shown for them to be let go.

Ill highlight some key points of you trying to sell a lemon

- Last five games at senior level have been awful < We already have players capable of doing this and currently doing this.
- he’d kicked about 20 goals in 3 games at Casey < VFL is never a good judgement for peformance at AFL level
- He’s a risk no doubt but he’d be the steak knives in this deal < Steak knives are generally something extra. 25 for Maynard isnt going to do it.
- Pies need key forwards < That is the only thing youve been bang on about. Feel like Weid isnt main focus material
He is playing behind TMAC and cant get a kick currently. So not getting the best key defender.
- plus he brings that famed Weideman name with him < lol

Is your whole post tongue in cheek , since ive broken it down im starting to think it is

Saying all this. Our list managers are dumbheads and will probably do Weid plus 2nd Round Pick for Maynard and we will pay Maynards salary for 5 years

Not a bad counter assessment. As I said pick 25 & Weid would be my opening bid. Pies would probably say top 10 pick or no deal. In between is the negotiation space.

Not a bad counter assessment. As I said pick 25 & Weid would be my opening bid. Pies would probably say top 10 pick or no deal. In between is the negotiation space.
A think a pick in the twenties & Weidemen would be a super win for Collingwood if both parties agreed to a deal like that. Allows them to pickup a decent player in the draft and also filling arguably their biggest need as a club in forward stocks. Possibly a little bit overs from a Melbourne perspective but when you'be recruited Ben Brown who wouldn't be on cheap money too sitting in the back just waiting to get a game, I suppose you need to give up something.

In terms of value, definitely not a top ten pick on the open market. The Saad deal isn't even close to a benchmark. Saad is in the prime of his career (age wise) and more proven and sure, knock some of Saad's ability in comparison to Maynard but Saad is a little more proven. That's not a knock against Maynard, I just think we certainly need to see more.

I know Saad wasn't either, but for where he was form wise + multiple high-end polls in Essendon's BnF etc it almost dictated that pick trade to get it done. Obviously Saad's form at Carlton currently doesn't see how it warranted a high-end first selection but that has a little to do with Carlton's struggles as a whole. Maynard though, definitely not a top ten selection on the open market, that's massive overs.

I thought the Saad comparison was no good either, but go have a look at their career averages comparison:
https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Compare?playerIds=CD_I992010,CD_I295461&comparisonTab=h2h

Actually really similar. Saad slightly shades him on score involvements (3.3 to 3.1) and rebound 50s (3.8 to 3.4) but Maynard has him covered on tackles (3.3 to 2.6) and marks (4.1 to 3.2). Maynard is 2 years younger and has played 9 more games, at 24 fair to say he is coming in to his prime. I think Saad was AA one year (?) and came top 3 in essendons bnf i think (?), but Maynard has come 5th 2 years running in the pies bnf (both teams which were top 6 in the league) and has had some pretty big performances in finals-shutting down toby greene in the 18 sf and gary abblett in the 19 qf come to mind. Overall i think it's hard to mount a case one is worth significantly more or less than the other.

I don't think there's any substance to this rumour fwiw, but in a hypothetical trade scenario the pies hold all the cards-they'd probably be asking for the dees future first plus a sweetener. They got reamed last year when they were trying to negotiate with an open hand-you get what you deserve. They'll be keen to re-establish a reputation at the trade table as anything other than easy beats, so they're hardly going to trade a contracted player coming in to his prime for anything less than overs.

The dees don't have pick 25? Their first pick is currently at 34 and you'd have to assume their future 2nd would be in the mid 30s too.

Actually it’s pick 30. Future second you’d think would be around that mark too.

I’d be open to trading future first for Maynard but then take Weid off the table or look at other options.

Actually it’s pick 30. Future second you’d think would be around that mark too.

I’d be open to trading future first for Maynard but then take Weid off the table or look at other options.

I got 34 from Lore's spreadsheet, apologies if wrong. Either way makes it pretty hard for you to offer 25.

Think we agree the future first is the centre of the (hypothetical) deal. Personally i'm not keen on weideman so doesn't bother me if you take him off the table. I only really commented because it pisses me off that people think maynard's value is somehow a 2nd rounder lower than what we drafted him at (pick 30). As i say, i think it's a moot point anyway (but ya know, friday arvos at work and all).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood 2021 trades

1624012358429.png

That's really delusional thinking you can get a gun player for unders who was in the all Australian squad last year and probably got robbed making the team from two biased selectors picking player's from there old club. Some context Melbourne paid pick 6 for Steven may and kolodashnij plus two first round picks 10, 16 and a future 4th for lever and a second round pick 35. The Dee's deal fairly compared to your unrealistic unders suggestion so probably a starting point would be trying to find a top ten pick with james jordan as stake knifes unless pies just want more picks added instead of steak knifes.

May is a gorilla minding fullback. Maynard a back pocket/flanker. Apples and oranges.

I said I’d entertain our future first for Maynard which will likely fall between 10-18. More than fair as a starting point in negotiations.

Also, making the AA squad of 40 is nice but he has not been AA (yet). Simple as that.

You must love getting your unders. So delusional one first round between 10 to 18 don't cut it period.....

In 2016 we traded pick 29 to Essendon for Michael Hibberd. Gun medium defender who would go on to win AA honours and finish multiple times in the top 3 of our b & f.

Brayden Maynard is a very similar player at an equivalent stage in his career as Hibberd was then. Maybe a year or two younger. Pick 10-18 is not unreasonable at all.

Certainly not a ‘delusional’ suggestion.What do you care anyway.

You have no idea as Maynard is better than Hibberd.....
No he doesn't and it's embarrassing as a Melbourne supporter reading through all this.

He's contracted to 2022, Collingwood have all the power regardless if Maynard requests a trade this year. And even if he does, Collingwood have every right to ask for a decent package in return.

One of the best half backs in the game. About to hit the prime now that he is 25 years of age and 100 games of experience under his belt.

When you look through the players at Collingwood coming out of contract this season there’s not a whole lot of money tied up in players they’ll be getting rid of. Pendles will likely get a pay cut. Cox I think was on decent money. But word was they may need to lose another player to stay within TPP. Not saying it will be Maynard or that he wants to come to Melbourne. But seems there may be scope to shake a player free.

If Maynard is gettable and valued around pick 15 I’m sure the Hawks would be happy to give them back their second rounder and a player for him. Someone like Cousins or Howe who can’t get a regular run at it and is ready to go. Lewis is another that could be an option that I wouldn’t like to see leave.
The pies could sign up O’Brien as a RFA and we don’t match...
All would be cheap contracts and give the pies room to move inflated contracts and ageing players like Cox, Mayne and Greenwood.

.... waiting for the “lols and seriously” comments.

But word was they may need to lose another player to stay within TPP.

The only word I’ve heard is that the salary cap ‘hangover’ that Wrighty was talking about is the club front loading the repayment of the outstanding Treloar debt.

Hopefully that should allow us to re-enter the free agency market in the next few years.

When you look through the players at Collingwood coming out of contract this season there’s not a whole lot of money tied up in players they’ll be getting rid of. Pendles will likely get a pay cut. Cox I think was on decent money. But word was they may need to lose another player to stay within TPP. Not saying it will be Maynard or that he wants to come to Melbourne. But seems there may be scope to shake a player free.
It’s interesting when people talk about the Pies cap still being full. How could they have possibly afforded making a play for Merrett if that was the case?
From my understanding the reason why 2021 cap is in play is because the Pies loaded a good portion of Treloar’s contract (5 x $300pa) this year to reduce the future cost. Cox will come off his $550k this year and I’d assume Pendles will be on a greatly reduced 1 yr rolling deal. So I would think leading into 2022, a lot of $$ would have been freed up.

If Maynard is gettable and valued around pick 15 I’m sure the Hawks would be happy to give them back their second rounder and a player for him. Someone like Cousins or Howe who can’t get a regular run at it and is ready to go. Lewis is another that could be an option that I wouldn’t like to see leave.
The pies could sign up O’Brien as a RFA and we don’t match...
All would be cheap contracts and give the pies room to move inflated contracts and ageing players like Cox, Mayne and Greenwood.

.... waiting for the “lols and seriously” comments.
All out of contract and I suspect gone end of the year. Greenwood also having concussion issues, and Cox was well and truly overpaid. The triggers he hit in 2020 gave him an extra year. So that will be a $550k saving unless he plays for minimum chips.

We brought in a number of kids this year on 1st year $$$.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back