Preview Round 15 2021 - GWS Giants v Hawthorn, 1.10 pm @ MCG, Sun 27 June

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The team's response from the debacle in Tasmania to the game against Carlton was great - but it should not take a poor game to motivate our players to be at their best. The most pleasing part of the win was probably the disposal accuracy, which I think was a season high - but that was partly due to the lack of pressure that the Blues put on our players. We had better be ready to fight through a harder pressure game from the Hawks next week. Although they have their own issues, with their midfield beaten by the Bombers' midfield that is missing a number of players. The Hawk's game is the third winnable game in a row for us, with them sitting in second last place. It must be absolutely non-negotiable that we win this game to stay in contact with the top 8, or that will be the end of our finals aspirations.

While our forward and back lines are still a work in progress, so is the Hawks' team, and hopefully we are better for the hitout against Carlton. Our forward line operated quite effectively, with Finlayson, Greene & Himmelberg kicking 11 goals between them; while the defenders were solid for the most part, with a number of the Blues' goals coming courtesy of favourable umpiring decisions. Hopefully Davis is better for the run; the Hawks' forward line doesn't have a player as dangerous as McKay, so they should be able to contain them equally well. But again it will be the midfield that needs to set the foundation for winning the game. I presume that de Boer will go to Mitchell to choke off their main supply of ball; hopefully that allows Hopper, Ward, Taranto and Green to get plenty themselves.

I am not expecting too many changes after a win. However, Daniels may be available to return, and Ash of course after being the medical sub would be available for selection. On the other hand, we'll need to check the situation of Kelly and Hill after their twisted ankles - it might be useful to allow Bobby to fully heal if more time is required, with Daniels available. Otherwise, I do hope Ash returns: I'd be happy to swap out Sam Reid, with Adam Kennedy taking any defensive/shutdown role required. Not that I expect Leon to think the same way.

The team's response from the debacle in Tasmania to the game against Carlton was great - but it should not take a poor game to motivate our players to be at their best.
Why change a habit of half a decade now?

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
This is a great place to be in that we genuinely have some competition for spots which is healthy. I think in the past we have played the best players in the 22 rather than the best team

I know we want to see ash in the team but if the role isrebounding half back then we have cumming/Whitfield/Kennedy already in that role. I know a solutionthat’s been mentioned is Reid out and Kennedy to be the shutdown defender but I actually think Reid is a better player in that regard. Maybe ash gets a chance in more of a wing role?

This is a great place to be in that we genuinely have some competition for spots which is healthy. I think in the past we have played the best players in the 22 rather than the best team

I know we want to see ash in the team but if the role isrebounding half back then we have cumming/Whitfield/Kennedy already in that role. I know a solutionthat’s been mentioned is Reid out and Kennedy to be the shutdown defender but I actually think Reid is a better player in that regard. Maybe ash gets a chance in more of a wing role?
I think Ash is a significantly better player than Kennedy.
That is the swap I'd make.

I can only imagine the knock on Ash is his defensive accountability at the moment. Possibly why he wasn't selected last week
He is getting better at that.
I was thinking it was a freshen up, but if it was performance based, you are correct, it has to be the defensive side of the game.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
He is getting better at that.
I was thinking it was a freshen up, but if it was performance based, you are correct, it has to be the defensive side of the game.
If it was that it would have said managed rather than omitted in the team selections

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back