Preview Geelong V Brisbane Thu Jun 24 720 pm @ Gabba

I don't know why people think Brisbane will be easier than the dogs. Brisbane are I think a more balanced side and better overall. Plus they're going to be angry and be given free reign. MOC will be completely umpired out of the game. We'll lose the frees count by 15. Zorko has just done a public mea culpa about being a bad boy sometimes and he's sorry, could murder someone and not concede a free.

Brisbane are the most overrated side in the comp.

Had a few bad moments that cost us, one dropped chest mark (uncontested) deep in defence was particularly bad. Looked very scratchy.
You sure that wasn’t Stewart? Oh no that’s right we don’t speak of his mistakes.

Higgins doesn't seem to be covering much ground, well under average, I'm wondering if he's been given some secret squirrel positional role.
Would be good to see his map, otherwise cant be stuffed tracking him a whole match on replay, partly due to what Ricketz said re coverage.
& Partly due to no excuses.
E48CB1A8-07D6-47B3-9A67-8F5038C37F37.jpeg

And they have three guys who I despise not because they are talented (or not) but because they are dirty and/or big mouths - Mitch Robinson, Dayne Zorko, and Lachie Neale

Ricketz

Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
I reckon it will definitely be spicy with a lot of niggle. We will need to be disciplined - go hard at it rather than getting sucked in. We know that fifty-fifty incidents will swing their way, we just can't afford any suspensions from our key players because of it.

Having said that, our age and maturity should mean there is no excuse for bad behaviour.

I think there's enough flaws laid bare for all sides right now that there aren't really any over rated sides currently. If you want the technically most over rated side right now maybe technically you could say Richmond being 8th and being equal 3rd in the betting odds but I'm not sure I'd argue for that one either.

Sep 7, 2005
Dallas Mavs, West Ham

Zorko is a hot head, if we get under his skin he’ll give away 50m penalties all game.

You’ve been banging on about Stewart’s mistakes since his first practise game in tassie five years ago. What exactly do you have against Stewart?
He propagates double standards on BigFooty and I hate that. :D

Interesting. In what way.
I don't think they have enough talent to truly contend when push comes to shove. I said the same last year ... They had everything in their favour and still couldn't come through with the goods.

Their midfield is one dimensional and their backline is ordinary.

They'll be found out again come finals.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
I don't think they have enough talent to truly contend when push comes to shove. I said the same last year ... They had everything in their favour and still couldn't come through with the goods.

I agree that they had a gift last year. Playing it all in Brisbane. I doubt it will be easier to play melb or dogs or whoever at the MCG.

Sire of Claude

Mar 18, 2021
I can't understand the belittling of Brisbane; they are a good team and they are contenders. It should be a tight contest.

The mid-field contest will be crucial - we'll need some decisive clearances - and we are vulnerable in that area. We'll need a bit more from Narkle and a big game from Parfitt. I note Clark has been playing mid in the VFL. Who knows what they'll do with Higgins?

Hold my beer……….Melbourne
Even when Melbourne were sitting atop with an 8-0 record all the talk was about Brisbane and their 5 match winning streak.

And Melbourne accounted for Brisbane easily not that long ago.

If I had my choice to play any side currently in the 8 in the finals it would be Brisbane and I wouldn't care if it was played at their local racetrack.

Does it mean we'll win this game? No

Let's wait until the whips are cracking and watch them fold like origami.

Ricketz

Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
Even when Melbourne were sitting atop with an 8-0 record all the talk was about Brisbane and their 5 match winning streak.

And Melbourne accounted for Brisbane easily not that long ago.

If I had my choice to play any side currently in the 8 in the finals it would be Brisbane and I wouldn't care if it was played at their local racetrack.

Does it mean we'll win this game? No

Let's wait until the whips are cracking and watch them fold like origami.
West Coast for mine. Purely making up the numbers and probably replaced by GWS come finals.

Romeoh1

Apr 27, 2021

They might not be the best in the comp, but Shirley they are better than you suggest.

goyoucatters

Jan 31, 2008
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
For all the other factors at play, we'll be in with a great chance to take the four points as long as we win the contested ball battle. There were stats up recently somewhere about how many times we'd won this stat this season, and how it corresponds really tightly with our W-L record.

Brisbane are neither world-beaters nor complete pretenders. I mostly agree with Jack The Godfather that their inability to get it done last year (given all the inherent advantages) hardly bodes well for them being more of a threat this year. Having said that, if they get on top around the ball, they have more than enough offensive threat to kick a winning score.

Provided we start strongly, I see us being in contention throughout the night. A win would certainly be a really welcome outcome, no doubt. And, provided we do the fundamentals right and bring an appropriate intensity, the line-up we'll put out there is more than capable of getting it done.

Mar 27, 2006
You sure that wasn’t Stewart? Oh no that’s right we don’t speak of his mistakes.

That’s because, unlike Kolo, they represent about 5% of his involvement in play. Kolo, it’s probably hitting 70% (so he does do the odd good thing in the 7 touches a game he gets).

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
Replayaholics
Gee they ran us close last time, uncharacteristic error ridden start for them and Neale's jaw capitulation to Red's temper, and MOC,
but second half came home like a train. Their forwards and in particular Daniher, have improved since then, as well as a more efficient midfield .
Of course Evans (first goal) Miers, Chook among those we suspect not playing this time. Addition of Jezza helps.

Would want to give 100% and get the breaks. Hopefully not down to the line and no Blics HB suss on the siren.