Autopsy Round 13, 2021: St.Kilda v Adelaide

I actually disagree. Last year the players weren't lazy or useless, and Bruce rocked up with a few too many extra 6 packs to the pre-season just like every year with us. He played sh*t last year and everyone at the doggies was wondering why the fu** they picked him up. The fact he's turned it around now is an indication of the fact he was told to pretty explicitly pull his head in and pick up his act. The two are unrelated. Bruce playing well and us playing poorly are mutually independent events and fretting over them like this isn't gonna help us play better or be happier about footy.

He was apparently training okay, he just didn't seem to find his rhythm last year. It looked like he was being de Richoed. At the Saints he'd run back to help out defence and then sprint back to provide a forward option. The Dogs wanted him deep forward and he found it hard not to go hunting kicks like he was used to. His best year with us he roamed the forward 50 running constant leads, even if they weren't honoured.

He's turned back into what got him 60 goals with us. We are now playing Membrey up the field and can't score. Coaches are obsessed with turning and forward that works well into an extra s**t wingman or play them up the ground where they are much less effective. It's the metal band bringing in a philharmonic orchestra to ruin a perfectly good song syndrome. They try to look smart and forget their job.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
He was apparently training okay, he just didn't seem to find his rhythm last year. It looked like he was being de Richoed. At the Saints he'd run back to help out defence and then sprint back to provide a forward option. The Dogs wanted him deep forward and he found it hard not to go hunting kicks like he was used to. His best year with us he roamed the forward 50 running constant leads, even if they weren't honoured.

He's turned back into what got him 60 goals with us. We are now playing Membrey up the field and can't score. Coaches are obsessed with turning and forward that works well into an extra sh*t wingman or play them up the ground where they are much less effective. It's the metal band bringing in a philharmonic orchestra to ruin a perfectly good song syndrome. They try to look smart and forget their job.
He embarrassed himself last year which was obviously a wake up call. Quitting drinking suggests he wasn't taking his career seriously enough. Good on him but he's 29, comparing him to King is ridiculous.

He embarrassed himself last year which was obviously a wake up call. Quitting drinking suggests he wasn't taking his career seriously enough. Good on him but he's 29, comparing him to King is ridiculous.
He is on fire today lol

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

Did i miss something? Was there a comparison to King?

I didnt really want us to trade him but i also understand the clubs decision on contract length and cost.

I think its madness to suggest we wouldnt love him in the team right about now, if nothing else he doesnt miss too much.

Did i miss something? Was there a comparison to King?

I didnt really want us to trade him but i also understand the clubs decision on contract length and cost.

I think its madness to suggest we wouldnt love him in the team right about now, if nothing else he doesnt miss too much.
Everyone on the list sucks and we need to bring back Bruce, Hind, Parker, Freeman, Savage, Hickey and Acres.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Everyone on the list sucks and we need to bring back Bruce, Hind, Parker, Freeman, Savage, Hickey and Acres.
Bruce, Hind, Parker, Hickey would all be walk up best 22 based on their form this year.
So were they the problem or are we?

also I wasn’t being a smart ass, was there actually a comparison to king?

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Not saying they make our best 22 but they'd get a game this week.

With 28 to pick from, I would say
Bruce - maybe
Hind and Savage fighting over one spot
Parker - no
Freeman - no
Hickey, Marshall and Ryder are fit so no
Acres - lol

Only one I was dirty on was Hind. Was obvious he would be a great fit off halfback but we let him go.
Parker was unlucky to be let go. Good depth.

the rest pfft.

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Veteran Reimagine Moorabbin
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
With 28 to pick from, I would say
Bruce - maybe
Hind and Savage fighting over one spot
Parker - no
Freeman - no
Hickey, Marshall and Ryder are fit so no
Acres - lol
Parker's better than Lonie
Hind and Savage on opposite HBF's
Yeah Hickey only plays if Marshall or Ryder don't
Freeman probs not
and yeah, Acres lol

Bruce, Hind, Parker, Hickey would all be walk up best 22 based on their form this year.
So were they the problem or are we?

also I wasn’t being a smart ass, was there actually a comparison to king?
I haven't really bothered to read much on here the last few days, terribly boring. I think gringo said we'd love to have Max King currently sitting 2nd in the Coleman. I was just taking the piss with the general rhetoric on here that everyone that leaves our club was a mistake made by the club, lol.

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Freeman probs not
and yeah, Acres lol

yeah could live with that, Was disappointed Parker was cut.

Was savage they cut both Hind and Savage, Reall dump list management in my view.

I didn't compare him to King, I said if he was scoring the same amount of goals we would be losing it. Replace that with Membrey then the point stands. People have a hard time admitting he's doing well because they wanted him gone. Same with Nick Hind, people would rather protect their bad calls than admit to a mistake.

You'd think we were an elite set up with the way some fans go on about how nothing we've ever done is a wrong move and that every decision was impeccably executed. Most people seem to think the hand of fate has just rained bad luck down on us and it was more akin to a tsunami than poor decision making.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Freeman probs not
and yeah, Acres lol
Where are you playing Coffield and Clark?

Parker is the only one I didn't understand because he looked like something completely different to what we had and the queue for a spot he was chasing wasn't that long.

I didn't compare him to King, I said if he was scoring the same amount of goals we would be losing it. Replace that with Membrey then the point stands. People have a hard time admitting he's doing well because they wanted him gone. Same with Nick Hind, people would rather protect their bad calls than admit to a mistake.

You'd think we were an elite set up with the way some fans go on about how nothing we've ever done is a wrong move and that every decision was impeccably executed. Most people seem to think the hand of fate has just rained bad luck down on us and it was more akin to a tsunami than poor decision making.

The thing is, Gringo, I don’t think they were necessarily bad decisions - at the time. There was some thought behind the trades - even though they seems to have bitten us in the bum.

It’s been spoken about plenty that with Marshall, King, Membrey (maybe Battle) where was Bruce going to play? Of course, injuries struck, which makes it appear an even worse decision - but were we going to play Bruce in the vfl on big money all going well injury-wise?

Regarding Hind. Did you think we should have offered him two years - based on what we had seen last season? Or would everybody have been up in arms?. Yes, he’s playing very well now, but I’m not sure I heard many on here calling for him to play half back flank with who we had performing there last year.

So sometimes trades which appear reasonable at the time, turn to sh*t on the back of unforseeable circumstances. Not saying we’ve never stuffed up, but looking at these two trades, I can see the logic behind it - then. No ones got a crystal ball.

Wouldn’t have let Savage go personally.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers

Happy to call out the bad calls, in fact I always said delisting Parker was an error and said just this week that Hind is making our coaches look dumb. But you basically whinge about literally every move we've made.

Apparently we have an attitude issue at the club, so we trade out Bruce who has literally admitted he wasn't fit enough and is 29, we used those picks to get Zak Jones (26) and Ryan Byrnes (20). But apparently Bruce's crap 2020 isn't about his lack of conditioning and poor attitude but because he had to be "de-Richoed" (which is pure crap). So you're willing to give a break to Bruce but none of our players it seems.

Bruce is having a good season and good on him as I said, and yes we'd be happy if Membrey had kicked that many and if we were in the Bulldogs position. But that trade was a good one and more than likely if we had Bruce he'd be just average for us and his attitude wouldn't have improved.

It's just hard to take anything you say seriously when you belittle every move. I mean in Bruce we've moved on an older guy with a bad attitude and gotten in two younger players, one who finished top 10 in our b and f last year and another who would arguably be our best young player. But you're still willing to sink the boots in over it.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Happy to call out the bad calls, in fact I always said delisting Parker was an error and said just this week that Hind is making our coaches look dumb. But you basically whinge about literally every move we've made.

Apparently we have an attitude issue at the club, so we trade out Bruce who has literally admitted he wasn't fit enough and is 29, we used those picks to get Zak Jones (26) and Ryan Byrnes (20). But apparently Bruce's crap 2020 isn't about his lack of conditioning and poor attitude but because he had to be "de-Richoed" (which is pure crap). So you're willing to give a break to Bruce but none of our players it seems.

Bruce is having a good season and good on him as I said, and yes we'd be happy if Membrey had kicked that many and if we were in the Bulldogs position. But that trade was a good one and more than likely if we had Bruce he'd be just average for us and his attitude wouldn't have improved.

It's just hard to take anything you say seriously when you belittle every move. I mean in Bruce we've moved on an older guy with a bad attitude and gotten in two younger players, one who finished top 10 in our b and f last year and another who would arguably be our best young player. But you're still willing to sink the boots in over it.
Bolded seems like a problem we should have been able to adress really.

Back