Carlton in the Media (articles, podcasts etc) - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing isn't it?

People have called for a public response from our captains, yet as soon as they do it's a waste of time.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. They can't win...until they actually win.
I don't recall people calling for the captains to front the media. Not sure why they would for the reasons I already said, all we've done this year is talk.

If you really are backing Teague 100% prove it by playing for him on the field because what you're showing now is that you aren't buying in.

Jonathan Brown on Fox Footy called Williams the laziest footballer in the AFL, then backed it up with footage. It doesn't get any worst than that I suppose.

I saw that and must say that at Gws he was never like that ..... something must be going on in his head because he does look unfit and disinterested.... he’s a better footballer than he’s shown this year

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sad state of affairs when I'm agreeing with Joey Montagna on First Crack (just watched it). "They've (Carlton) got a lot of half back flankers, but no-one that can really defend."
Actually.....I find myself agreeing with the majority of journos & experts when they talk about us this year. Scary times indeed when that is happening.

Agreed. Not opposed to him being captain next year. He's got a sternness about him that Cripps lacks, and backs it out on the field, unlike Docherty. I see a bit of Pavlich in him.

If Weitering is going to be the man, I'd like to see him shift to a more aggressive CHB role where he can get set up the play and marshall the troops from the back. Oppo coaches would love the way we set up for Liam Jones to take a million intercept marks followed by a turnover kick

Is the FC one worth watching for interesting takes or just more depressions we already know too well...?

I found it all worth watching. Certainly the footage of Teague saying we want to be an attacking side 18 months ago, is interesting considering how far the defensive side has fallen away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to say that some of the vision shown is embellished somewhat. They show Whitfield beating 6 of our players, but some of those guys were way too far away and had opponents running with them. If they came in for Whitfield, they'd be baked for leaving their opponent free.

The scribes needs to stop with the hyperbole a little.

I have to say that some of the vision shown is embellished somewhat. They show Whitfield beating 6 of our players, but some of those guys were way too far away and had opponents running with them. If they came in for Whitfield, they'd be baked for leaving their opponent free.

I think that piece of footage is used because 6 players are goal side of whitfield at the stoppage. When Whitfield reappears downfield to link up, none are goal side. Not one.

There's not a lot of recognition in AFL circles that defenders have sometimes to choose between a list of unpalatable options that very frequently doesn't result in them stopping the goal. North - the team with the lowest points scored this year - averages 62.9 points scored a game; that's 10 goals, and most of the time goals come from mistakes.

I said a while back that there's not really much by way of defenders who are pundits. It's why you get criticism that doesn't really stack up beyond close examination sometimes.

Good article. The main conclusions:
1) our lack of defensive pressure up the ground causes easy D50 entries.
2) coaching is an issue.

Things the football community has already been saying but it’s a good read nonetheless - it puts the points beyond doubt using stats to compare our team with others:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back