Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Jackson Callow!

Remove this Banner Ad

With a purely random kick to a forward 50m contest (which lets face it - with most of our mids kicking it may as well be random), the 'average' KPP forward will mark <20% of the time.

The Defender marks about ~10%, with the defensive 3rd man almost as much. The attacking 3rd man in marks just 5% (not often you get a two v one in your forward line), with the rest (>50%) spoils. Of those about 15% are controlled spoils (dead-ball, or direct to team-mate), and the remaining 35% are uncontrolled spoils (to congestion or attacking player)

TOB gets to perhaps 20 contests a game. The "Average" forward would take four marks, and perhaps 2 times a team-mate gets the crumbs.

Tim only takes two marks (drops four), but causes double the amount of uncontrolled spoils, with team-mates getting the crumbs lets say 6 times. Many bemoan that if he just held those four marks he'd have kicked 4-5 goals.

Others (such as I suspect Clarkson), sees him create 20 contests, and only lose (get outmarked) 2.

Lewis only gets to 15 contests a game. He takes four marks (fantastic!), but gets outmarked 5 times. His opponent is better able to control the spoil. Fans see him take four marks, kick 3 goals. Clarkson sees him only get to 15 contests, and lose 5.

So which player is better? (IMO you need both).

At the moment, Lewis, Kosi, Jeka (likely Callow, need to see more) don't get to anywhere near as many contests - and whilst they may win a higher % of them than TOB, they are also prone to lose more too.

With a purely random kick to a forward 50m contest (which lets face it - with most of our mids kicking it may as well be random), the 'average' KPP forward will mark <20% of the time.

The Defender marks about ~10%, with the defensive 3rd man almost as much. The attacking 3rd man in marks just 5% (not often you get a two v one in your forward line), with the rest (>50%) spoils. Of those about 15% are controlled spoils (dead-ball, or direct to team-mate), and the remaining 35% are uncontrolled spoils (to congestion or attacking player)

TOB gets to perhaps 20 contests a game. The "Average" forward would take four marks, and perhaps 2 times a team-mate gets the crumbs.

Tim only takes two marks (drops four), but causes double the amount of uncontrolled spoils, with team-mates getting the crumbs lets say 6 times. Many bemoan that if he just held those four marks he'd have kicked 4-5 goals.

Others (such as I suspect Clarkson), sees him create 20 contests, and only lose (get outmarked) 2.

Lewis only gets to 15 contests a game. He takes four marks (fantastic!), but gets outmarked 5 times. His opponent is better able to control the spoil. Fans see him take four marks, kick 3 goals. Clarkson sees him only get to 15 contests, and lose 5.

At the moment, Lewis, Kosi, Jeka (likely Callow, need to see more) don't get to anywhere near as many contests - and whilst they may win a higher % of them than TOB, they are also prone to lose more too.
I think a lot of the numbers come down to the specific roles they play. Lewis, Jeka and Kosi sit under the long high ball a lot more TOB does who plays more of a Gunston role. Who would also lose less contests because of hkw

When TOB flies in for a contest he’s usually one of the last ones there with a clean run, much harder to get out marked than say Lewis whose job is to sit under that high ball, create a contest then try and mark it.

TOB has a greater fitness base than our other forwards. Due to more preseasons. But with his hands like butter he can’t play the Gunston role like he is and he doesn’t have the size to sit under the high ball like Lewis and Kosi can.

I’d like to see Jeka in the TOB role, as Jeka doesn’t have the strength to wrestle yet but is really good on a lead and a better field kick than TOB despite that being one of TOB’s strengths.

Look what Jones did to us. Those 5 contested marks were towering. In dangerous spots. And deflated our team. Cant put a price on it.
If they can clunk. Play them.
We don't pay blokes to consistently spill marks.
It's reactive.
It actually wasn't him. It was stringer that won the game for them His 5 constested marks really wouldn't have made much of difference in the scheme of things

Yep. Stringer, Draper, and yes Jones, were the key reasons they won. Hind/ Ridley the others.
The rest were average.
Mate jones was a good contributor. I would have several Essendon players including Hind that had more impact

It is not clear if these were all of Callow’s involvements in the play (Edit: they weren’t) or just his highlights (I suspect just highlights), but we see 7 contests for 7 wins wth 85% DE.

😎

Last edited:
It is not clear if these were all of Callow’s involvements in the play or just his highlights (I suspect just highlights), but we see 7 contests for 7 wins wth 85% DE.

😎

Only the last mark really contested, but yeah he looks good!

Look what Jones did to us. Those 5 contested marks were towering. In dangerous spots. And deflated our team. Cant put a price on it.
If they can clunk. Play them.
We don't pay blokes to consistently spill marks.
It's reactive.
Was just coming to say this i spent most of the game just thinking wow i wish we had someone who could clunk them like Jones did and Naughton does.

I don't know if Callow has what it takes or not but i am a little higher on him than most around here and it has been forever since we had a forward that can just clunk everything.

Was just coming to say this i spent most of the game just thinking wow i wish we had someone who could clunk them like Jones did and Naughton does.

I don't know if Callow has what it takes or not but i am a little higher on him than most around here and it has been forever since we had a forward that can just clunk everything.
I think he's quite different to Jones, who seems to have a good leap & marks the ball at its highest point (above other players). Played out of the goal square, this type of player (served with quick/deep forward entries) has troubled us for as long as I can remember.

I don't think Callow is that type of forward. I was hoping Mitch Lewis would become that, but he doesn't charge/leap at the ball the same way. TO'B is probs our closest & I'm a fan so kinda don't want to get into that discussion...

I'm hoping Callow (or Jeka) can develop as a CHF in the Walker/Jono Brown mould.

It actually wasn't him. It was stringer that won the game for them His 5 constested marks really wouldn't have made much of difference in the scheme of things
Stringer got their first goal in the final quarter to put them back in front
Jones marked the next two centre clearances for a goal and a behind that should have been another goal
That few minutes was the final margin
Stringer may have won it for them but Jones killed us off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stringer got their first goal in the final quarter to put them back in front
Jones marked the next two centre clearances for a goal and a behind that should have been another goal
That few minutes was the final margin
Stringer may have won it for them but Jones killed us off

I was a huge fan of picking Jones at our first pick, I reckon he will be a super star of the competition. DGB could be too, so not complaining about what we did. Really wish we had that second top 5 pick!

I was a huge fan of picking Jones at our first pick, I reckon he will be a super star of the competition. DGB could be too, so not complaining about what we did. Really wish we had that second top 5 pick!
Jones was picked in the 2019 draft

Which player is better? At this stage of our cycle, the kids with a handful of games if that.

TO has been in the system for years and years and has surely reached his ceiling. He will be 28 before the start of next season.

As long as they are not getting beaten up or having their confidence shattered a la Schoey when he had to play CHB, it would be better for the players and the team if Kosi, Jeka and Callow were all getting as many AFL level games as possible, with dropping back to BHH if they needed to work on something. Already it looks like Kosi will pass TO as a player, possibly in this year or next. Expect if we gave the other two games, at least one of them would be adding more value by the end of next year, than TO does at the moment, having been in the system for nearly 8.5 years.

14 disposals - 8 marks - 2 goals - 3 behinds

Callow showed some really good signs yesterday. He’s one player that’s definitely worth persisting with as he has a lot of upside.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back