2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With COVID restrictions in metro Melbourne, the City v Macarthur semi final was moved to Kogarah fairly late in the piece.
3,000 in attendance.
They moved it from Melbourne to get a crowd so Melbourne City don't even get to play in their home state let alone their home ground despite finishing 1st on the table and then it only gets 3k anyway.

Last edited:
Good get for the Big Bash with the Nike deal the first of its kind for Nike in Australia, with the global sporting brand never having sponsored an entire league.
It will be informative to see how Nike use this opportunity to sell their merchandising across both competitions.

Good get for the Big Bash with the Nike deal the first of its kind for Nike in Australia, with the global sporting brand never having sponsored an entire league.
It will be informative to see how Nike use this opportunity to sell their merchandising across both competitions.

hopefully, they do better than what the A-league had with Reebok(?), which used a standard template for each club. So, basically, each team had the same basic shirt bar the colours

It's interesting as Nike are not reknown for their involvement in cricket. AFAIK they don't sell cricket equipment or even cricket shoes. I wonder if this is going to result in them dipping their toe into the cricket market.

It's interesting as Nike are not reknown for their involvement in cricket. AFAIK they don't sell cricket equipment or even cricket shoes. I wonder if this is going to result in them dipping their toe into the cricket market.

Its an international market so you are probably spot on.

FYI, sorry for the delay.

13/04/2018

..... the state government announced it will gift the Western Bulldogs Football Club a large parcel of nearby land that had been earmarked for residential redevelopment.

The government plans to hand the club all of the land at the southern end of the oval, along with the existing Cross Street and VicTrack land stretching all the way to West Footscray station.

The 5000-square-metre site between Cross Street and the railway line was slated for redevelopment by the former state government in 2014 and an expression of interest campaign was held seeking interest from private developers.

But the land will now be gifted to the club for football and “community development” purposes likely to include shops and residential apartments.

The Bulldogs issued a statement confirming that it has been working on a master plan for the redevelopment of the precinct for some time.

“The Club plans to develop the southern end of VUWO both with match-day viewing, seating, and hospitality offerings, but to also develop the expanded site with complementary uses which may include car parking, commercial, residential, entertainment and retail opportunities.”

Income from developing the commercial and residential elements of the project will be used to fund further upgrades to the oval.

The project will require the realignment of Cross Street.

Sounds like a win win for the club, the council and the local community.

Relevant to why soccer may have thought it was a gravy train.
I was replying to a call by a poster I had missed earlier.

Be a shocker if the parcel of land was simply cashed in, not that Peter Gordon would have allowed that to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The results of this marketing exercise MAY be relevant more widely than just Australia is my point & logic.

Hmmmm, assumed as such I just wanted to check as I couldn't see any basis for that observation. Why would it be more effective engaging at the competition level than the franchise level if the focus is beyond Australia?

Given the AFL dominates sponsorship in Australian sport as much as it dominates anything else, I would suggest domestic interest dominates sponsors decisions to invest in domestic competitions

I would also suggest that tribalism (or lack there of) might be a reason why it was commercially more viable to sponsor the league than for the individual franchises to organise their own.

I'd be interested in knowing how much, if at all, was the sponsorship larger than Collingwood's with Nike overall

Hmmmm, assumed as such I just wanted to check as I couldn't see any basis for that observation. Why would it be more effective engaging at the competition level than the franchise level if the focus is beyond Australia?

Given the AFL dominates sponsorship in Australian sport as much as it dominates anything else, I would suggest domestic interest dominates sponsors decisions to invest in domestic competitions

I would also suggest that tribalism (or lack there of) might be a reason why it was commercially more viable to sponsor the league than for the individual franchises to organise their own.

I'd be interested in knowing how much, if at all, was the sponsorship larger than Collingwood's with Nike overall

Why indeed, possibly a pro active local employee looking for an opportunity in an international company. It is bit beyond the next suburb.

Why indeed, possibly a pro active local employee looking for an opportunity in an international company. It is bit beyond the next suburb.

Again it is really unclear what you are trying to say? Proactive local employee looking for an opportunity? Next suburb?

The reason the AFL is so dominant commercially is it is easily the most popular sport nationally.

It doesn't dominate participation, the Sydney market, pay TV & streaming, integrating ppl of different cultural backgrounds. The sport is immensely popular in Melbourne I'll give it that.

It doesn't dominate participation, the Sydney market, pay TV & streaming, integrating ppl of different cultural backgrounds. The sport is immensely popular in Melbourne I'll give it that.

Is it that you are just not very bright or does the afls dominance mess with your head so bad you can't concentrate when you read stuff?

It dominates sponsorships as much as it dominates anything else. I.e. it's gets proportionately more revenue from sponsorships than it gets bigger crowds and memberships than, say, the Nrl (or close enough)

It dominates tv ratings, streaming and tv money....but it does so less than it dominates sponsorships and attendance

It dominates "participation" in that it's roster is bigger than any other sport. Obviously Australian football the sport is "dominated" by walking and swimming in terms of participation

I hope this helps but I'm not confident

Is it that you are just not very bright or does the afls dominance mess with your head so bad you can't concentrate when you read stuff?

It dominates sponsorships as much as it dominates anything else. I.e. it's gets proportionately more revenue from sponsorships than it gets bigger crowds and memberships than, say, the Nrl (or close enough)

It dominates tv ratings, streaming and tv money....but it does so less than it dominates sponsorships and attendance

It dominates "participation" in that it's roster is bigger than any other sport. Obviously Australian football the sport is "dominated" by walking and swimming in terms of participation

I hope this helps but I'm not confident

BBL is watched overseas. Sponsoring the BBL would be cheaper than say the IPL of the T20 blast in England.

So perhaps its just a toe in the water for world wide audience?.

Who knows what their strategy really is?

BBL is watched overseas. Sponsoring the BBL would be cheaper than say the IPL of the T20 blast in England.

So perhaps its just a toe in the water for world wide audience?.

Who knows what their strategy really is?

BBL, while it has dropped off, gets large audiences for a month and a half each year in Australia. It would get trivial numbers in England be low value in India (might get higher raw viewer numbers there but India's economy is about the size of the UK despite having 20 times the population)

Nike would overwhelmingly be focussed on the australian market with their BBL sponsorship. There might be a marginal consideration of India at best.

BBL, while it has dropped off, gets large audiences for a month and a half each year in Australia. It would get trivial numbers in England be low value in India (might get higher raw viewer numbers there but India's economy is about the size of the UK despite having 20 times the population)

Nike would overwhelmingly be focussed on the australian market with their BBL sponsorship. There might be a marginal consideration of India at best.

Quite so. I agree with you it does seem strange. Good for the BBL though!

Why do you think they'd be sponsoring then? I couldn't hazard a guess, so what do you imagine their strategy to be?

Quite so. I agree with you it does seem strange. Good for the BBL though!

Why do you think they'd be sponsoring then? I couldn't hazard a guess, so what do you imagine their strategy to be?

I don't think it is strange though

As I suggested earlier I think the BBL is different in that the BBL itself has more value in total to an apparel sponsor than the individual franchises do in aggregate.

There is no way the AFL or NRL or even the A League I suspect would ever do that.

Good luck with your projects.

Well that's just rude. I was asking for clarity.

Talking about "the next suburb" makes absolutely no sense in this context. I'm pretty sure you were trolling and now you are too embarrassed to explain yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back