Recommitted Patrick Cripps [Re-Signed to 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

You like paying 800k a year over 6 years for a midfielder who’s body looks like it’s starting to fail him?

Go back. Read the second sentence of my post. What you'll see is, that I think your's is an overreaction. Yeah I'm very happy to have signed Cripps for just $800k. He'll be overpaid at the backend and underpaid in his upcoming prime years.

Amazing how many have only just cottoned onto Cripps being a slow player. It’s been that way since he was drafted, and he has never needed to use whatever pace he has to any great extent.

I still remember Jay Kennedy-Harris closing a 10-metre gap in a couple of seconds in his first game. He’s glacial.

His best attributes have always been his read at the stoppages, his vision and his ability to get his arms free while being tackled. His athleticism, or lack of has never prevented him being a very good player, and I doubt his testing would be much different to his past (mediocre) results.

Strange time to comment on his lack of pace though. His movement has looked far better over the past month, and he’s starting to accelerate a lot more. Understandably was struggling to bend over earlier in the year with his cracked vertebrae, but apart from general malaise that comes from playing in this current trainwreck there’s nothing material hampering him at the moment.

No matter what we did it was always gunna be the wrong move according to the BF armchair experts!

We lose him the reaction would of been lol Carlton even their captain walked.

We sign him up and lock him in for close to a million a season which is his market value and what WA teams offered we are also stupid.

At the end of the day we signed Cripps for unders on a long term deal making him effectively a one club player and all of a sudden his body broken at 26yo and that also was the wrong move! 🤪

No matter what Carlton did with Cripps Big Footy was always gunna s**t on any move we made and carry on folks!

Just have to love social media and school holidays coming up now for more online entertainment!

No matter what we did it was always gunna be the wrong move according to the BF armchair experts!

We sign him up and lock him in for close to a million a season which is his market value and what WA teams offered we are also stupid.

At the end of the day we signed Cripps for unders on a long term deal making him effectively a one club player and all of a sudden his body broken at 26yo and that also was the wrong move! 🤪

No matter what Carlton did with Cripps Big Footy was always gunna sh*t on any move we made and carry on folks!

Just have to love social media and school holidays coming up now for more online entertainment!
The talk three weeks ago was that it was a four year contract. That would have been perfect.

No matter what Carlton did with Cripps Big Footy was always gunna sh*t on any move we made and carry on folks!

So true.

I disagree, I feel like his management team have capitalised on money and years he won't get from anywhere else. Who would offer Cripps 6 x 900k? You can count both Perth Teams out and probably every club bar NM and Gold Coast. 900k for an inside mid that cant play anywhere else...

Where does the $ 900k, per year figure come from ?.

If so, 5.4 million, is way overkill.

Where does the $ 900k, per year figure come from ?.

If so, 5.4 million, is way overkill.
Carlton announced that Cripps, 26 and a restricted free agent, had signed until the end of 2027, with sources familiar with the negotiations confirming that he had agreed to a deal that would mean he is paid well below the likes of Collingwood’s Brodie Grundy - who signed a seven-year deal worth more than $900,000 a season - and less than the annual $800,000 that he might have commanded.

At the end of the day we signed Cripps for unders on a long term deal making him effectively a one club player and all of a sudden his body broken at 26yo and that also was the wrong move!

To be fair, Carlton FC do enough to make themselves look silly. We just laugh at them for whatever they do do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hats a fair point. I also don’t think it’s fair that he should be taking less money because the club was stupid enough to throw huge money at the likes of McGovern, Williams, Martin and Saad. If anyone’s earned their money it’s Cripps.

Go back. Read the second sentence of my post. What you'll see is, that I think your's is an overreaction. Yeah I'm very happy to have signed Cripps for just $800k. He'll be overpaid at the backend and underpaid in his upcoming prime years.

His prime was 2 years ago. He is a shell of what he was.

13 games in and what has he done ?

6 years 750k sounds like a pretty good result.

Not sure I buy the whole leave money on the table for other players angle. Cripps knows that staying with the Blues he’ll be looked after post footy.

Fair enough, but I can see only 4 years of this contract being completed.

Cripps deserves to be looked after, Saad + Williams & McGovern pffft.

Hats a fair point. I also don’t think it’s fair that he should be taking less money because the club was stupid enough to throw huge money at the likes of McGovern, Williams, Martin and Saad. If anyone’s earned their money it’s Cripps.

Carlton are as above ****ed either way because they committed money and draft assets to get these guys. The only way they could sell Cripps leaving in any kind of positive light is if he wanted to return to WA and played the family card, plus the Blues ended up with a top 5/6 free agency pick.

The Age article (take it with a grain of salt, journos mostly have NFI and think that enough of them say the same thing then it's true) says Cripps took a pay cut, which is not the same as taking under market value. Someone like Williams coming in is looking for his pay day. There's no way he's getting $800k at GWS with their list over the last 4-5 years. Cripps on the other hand could've easily have been paid that or more the last few years so if he sacrifices money now he's still going to leave the game with a fat back pocket.

Gun player signs for Carlton, remains loyal and signs on for unders, yet most of you here troll him and the club, instead of congratulating. Digusting. For all of you trolling, look at my avatar picture.

Cripps has been poor for the last two years. Carlton for the last 20.

At the end of 2019 Cripps was a B2B B&F winner, B2B AA and AFLPA MVP at the ripe old age of 24. Not too many players running around more valuable at that time.

He's battled with injuries and hasn't been the same player since. His team has since added Jack Martin, Zac Williams and Adam Saad for somewhere in the range of $1.5-2m a year and are on track to miss the finals for the 8th year in a row (really 10 if you exclude Essendon's 2013 relegation), the entirety of Cripps career. Cripps and Docherty as co-captains have received plenty of criticism this year both for output and leadership.

It's great that Cripps has decided to remain a one club player but it's also not 2019. Most non-Blues fans if given the choice of Saad, Williams, Martin and Cripps on their reported contracts for the next few years or not would choose not.

Cripps has been poor for the last two years. Carlton for the last 20.

At the end of 2019 Cripps was a B2B B&F winner, B2B AA and AFLPA MVP at the ripe old age of 24. Not too many players running around more valuable at that time.

He's battled with injuries and hasn't been the same player since. His team has since added Jack Martin, Zac Williams and Adam Saad for somewhere in the range of $1.5-2m a year and are on track to miss the finals for the 8th year in a row (really 10 if you exclude Essendon's 2013 relegation), the entirety of Cripps career. Cripps and Docherty as co-captains have received plenty of criticism this year both for output and leadership.

It's great that Cripps has decided to remain a one club player but it's also not 2019. Most non-Blues fans if given the choice of Saad, Williams, Martin and Cripps on their reported contracts for the next few years or not would choose not.
3 things have contributed to his form over the past 2 seasons, firstly corona, secondly the way the game is played these days/coaching, and last, hes had a back injury for quite a while and only just starting to play good again. Next year with a solid pre season, some adjustments, you'll see him back to form, he may not return to his peak form, but he will be a very very good player for us for the duration of his contract. Thank you Cripps for signing and remaining loyal.

His prime was 2 years ago. He is a shell of what he was.

13 games in and what has he done ?

A short sighted response to an injured player's form drop.

I've seen it before enough times to know reality is not dictated by some reactionary skirts on a football forum.

$800k for Crippa is a steal. Very happy with the price tag. A year too long for me, but that's the cost of a cheap contract.

I've seen it before enough times to know reality is not dictated by some reactionary skirts on a football forum.

$800k for Crippa is a steal. Very happy with the price tag. A year too long for me, but that's the cost of a cheap contract.

So a 6 year contract for a guy carrying a long term injury ??

It’s a form drop that’s lasted over 12 months and counting to be fair. How many good games did he play on the back end of last year ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back