Universal Love Found - Long lost 1997 Crows club song

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
The version played after the siren might have been commissioned by the AFL especially for the granny. It's quite possible that all copies of the recording have been destroyed (apart from what was captured by the broadcast - which we all have copies of). Or perhaps the CD is sitting under a layer of dust at AFL House.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
The version played after the siren might have been commissioned by the AFL especially for the granny. It's quite possible that all copies of the recording have been destroyed (apart from what was captured by the broadcast - which we all have copies of). Or perhaps the CD is sitting under a layer of dust at AFL House.

It was used for the first 2/3 of the AFL season, at least for home games.

We switched to the current version in round 17, 1997 (the game we destroyed Richmond and ended Robert Walls' coaching career).

After that particular game, it was used in Melbourne for the PF and the GF, and once again for the 1998 GF.

On a side note, in 1998:

The semi final in Sydney used the generic Fable Brothers one (for some reason the SCG only used the generic ones in the late 1990's)
The Preliminary Final used the current version
The Grand Final had the same one as the 1997 GF

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
It was used for the first 2/3 of the AFL season, at least for home games.

We switched to the current version in round 17, 1997 (the game we destroyed Richmond and ended Robert Walls' coaching career).

After that particular game, it was used in Melbourne for the PF and the GF, and once again for the 1998 GF.

On a side note, in 1998:

The semi final in Sydney used the generic Fable Brothers one (for some reason the SCG only used the generic ones in the late 1990's)
The Preliminary Final used the current version
The Grand Final had the same one as the 1997 GF
The club must have a copy lying around somewhere then

Come to think of it, even if the AFL made it, surely someone at the club took an interest and requested a copy. Do the AFC archives have it? Anyone here well-connected with the club archivists?
Weirdly I don't think the club took any interest in it or had any idea that anyone else did. I seem to remember a few years back when the whole "why aren't we the Mighty Adelaide Crows in our song any more " thing happened and the club was more or less just like "What are you nerds talking about?"

I think maybe it was just a thing that the venues/AFL sorted out and we just ran out to whatever.

RoweyThePainter

Club Legend
May 17, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I bought a CD single version of the club song in 1997, used to crank it in the car often.

With current version I can see why people say it is the worst song in AFL, many subtle changes make it lame and uninspiring.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Would anyone know how to get into contact with Bill Sanders? I feel like he could be someone who might be able to help uncover something, given he wrote it.

Not sure if anyone else has listened to the new Crows Hall Of Fame podcast, but he was last weeks guest and went into detail about the creation of the song. They played a rough snippet of the very original version of the song - the one performed by the SAPOL band, which is also near impossible to find a clean version of - and mentioned about there being "a few variations to it since then". Could be a long shot, but he may have a cassette or something in a cupboard somewhere, or know how each version came about and know where to go looking.

Back