Analysis Coronavirus - The Impact IV “Phasing into the New Normal”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Darwin has entered a 48hr lockdown due to cases arising from the Newmont mine.

There were approximately 900 people at the mine during the relevant period. About 220 remain in the NT the rest have flown out, 400 to Brisbane & 250 to Perth. It's also assumed to be the Delta variant at this stage.

I would hope our contact tracing team are onto it straightaway.

Third vaccine approved for use in Australia
By Rachel Clun
Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose COVID19 vaccine has been approved for use in Australia, the third vaccine to be approved for use.
The Therapeutic Goods Administration granted the Janssen-Cilag vaccine provisional approval on Friday. It occurred on the same day Moderna was granted a provisional determination, bringing that vaccine a step closer to being approved.
While Moderna is expected to be used from September, the Commonwealth has no deal to purchase any of Janssen’s viral vector vaccine, which uses the same technology as the AstraZeneca jab.
The Commonwealth has no deal to purchase any of Janssen’s viral vector vaccine, which uses the same technology as the AstraZeneca jab.

The Commonwealth has no deal to purchase any of Janssen’s viral vector vaccine, which uses the same technology as the AstraZeneca jab.Credit:Jason South
The medical regulator approved the vaccine for adults aged 18 and over.
“Provisional approval of this vaccine is subject to certain strict conditions, such as the requirement for Janssen-Cilag Pty Ltd to continue providing information to the TGA on longer-term efficacy and safety from ongoing clinical trials and post-market assessment,” the regulator said in a statement.
“The Janssen vaccine has been shown to prevent COVID-19; however, it is not yet known whether it prevents transmission or asymptomatic disease.”
The US paused its use of the Janssen vaccine earlier this year after it was also linked to the rare clotting disorder, thrombosis with thrombocytopenia, that has been linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine.
The US Centres for Disease Control and Food and Drug Administration decided to resume the use of the vaccine in April, in a move welcomed by the company.
“We will collaborate with health authorities around the world to educate healthcare professionals and the public to ensure this very rare event can be identified early and treated effectively,” Johnson & Johnson’s chief scientific officer Paul Stoffels said after vaccinations resumed in the US.

Nah,, lockdown should be used as a last option not the first but if you have no faith in tracers or your hospital system to deal with anything then lockdowns your answer…..
Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The trouble is, even the best contact tracers will be overwhelmed eventually if the list of exposure sites is doubling every day.

It's also worth remembering that Melbourne didn't lockdown right away last year. At first, they sent cops to seal off some public housing towers, and then they tried to limit it to only a few suburbs before realising they'd screwed up. The lesson was go hard and go early.

Oh wow. I assumed this would all be to do with the Granites Gold Mine FIFOs, but it's primarily due to someone who has come over from Sydney

Phase 1 restrictions from noon today for Perth/Peel for 3 days
* Masks
* No Crowd at Optus (match to go ahead)
* Venue/event capacity restrictions

Feel like we got lucky this woman was on top of it tbh.

She did the right thing, for sure - but you cannot help but feel that she wouldn't even be in this situation if the gold standard state got their s**t together and wasn't sucked in by their own hubris.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question. If I've booked accommodation down south and the date for free cancellation has passed, but let's say the region gets closed off to me in the next few days, will I be able to call the places and get full refunds?

Is it their discretion or is there some law about this situation now?

Question. If I've booked accommodation down south and the date for free cancellation has passed, but let's say the region gets closed off to me in the next few days, will I be able to call the places and get full refunds?

Is it their discretion or is there some law about this situation now?
By law: come under " force majeure".
By commerical sense: Depends on whether the accommodation owner wants your future business.

Am I right in saying that the WA Govt now has some kind of fund in place for businesses for these type of situations? (meaning that they're likely to get compensated, meaning that they're likely to provide refunds)
I only caught a brief mention of it recently, but not the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back