Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

Why focus on any player’s negatives without balancing it with their positives? Posters do this regularly and all it produces is a totally misleading and superficial impression of the player concerned.
I think you’ll find it’s exactly what I did, net/net, his impact is close to zip.

Does some great work and offsets it with brain fades. Arguably the same with it without him - hence why I would be happy to see a trade.

If you think that great sides don't use those tactics you are very much mistaken.
Richmond play to the ragged edge and go over regularly - they are allowed to get away with it.
The great bombers sides with their drug increased bodies constantly physically bullied everyone and got away with it.
Geelong did the same when they had Thompson and his medical mate down there and they got away with it.
We don't get away with it because we are Collingwood.
But then you don't want to hear such things do you?
It’s not about “getting away” with anything or “because we are Collingwood”.

Those teams (not Essendon, they were sanctioned for their indescretions and given the brownlow treatment, they would have likely had any flags taken off them too) have been greatly successful, agreed, but they also have one thing that The Maynard era does not, and that’s a flag…

End of the day, that’s what clubs are judged on, that’s what history remembers. It’s not about how much effort you put in

I think you’ll find it’s exactly what I did, net/net, his impact is close to zip.

Does some great work and offsets it with brain fades. Arguably the same with it without him - hence why I would be happy to see a trade.

Yesterday was ill-disciplined and really stupid, but I don't think he has particularly many doses of stupidity anymore.

If you're including kicking errors in brain fades, Darcy Moore also makes his share. Every defender who isn't mega cautious with the footy - ala Roughy and Mayne - concedes their share of turnover goals, but if you don't take the risks you get stuck and eventually turn it over -it's the same thing anyway, just without the clean exits.

In which case you must think “defensively minded and stop at least a goal a game” is an accurate summation of his positive contributions. With all due respect, I think it sells him well short. He is a part of the heart and soul of the team and I wouldn’t trade him unless he insisted on it.

Yesterday was ill-disciplined and really stupid, but I don't think he has particularly many doses of stupidity anymore.

If you're including kicking errors in brain fades, Darcy Moore also makes his share. Every defender who isn't mega cautious with the footy - ala Roughy and Mayne - concedes their share of turnover goals, but if you don't take the risks you get stuck and eventually turn it over -it's the same thing anyway, just without the clean exits.
Yeah I do agree with this. Mayne has such good DE because he is ultra safe. Moore's DE is excellent too but every so often he tries to smash it down the corridor and it leads to a turnover but when it comes off we move the ball quickly. Maynard is the worst offender I think and his temper sometimes gets the better of him.

Trade him to the Demons for 2 first rounders, they'd be dumb enough to pay that for a half back flanker. Use next years first for Daicos and use the 2 first round picks to get another gun midfielder to go with Nick and use the second first rounder to get a KPF and we are set for the next 10 years. This years draft is a beauty

Trade him to the Demons for 2 first rounders, they'd be dumb enough to pay that for a half back flanker. Use next years first for Daicos and use the 2 first round picks to get another gun midfielder to go with Nick and use the second first rounder to get a KPF and we are set for the next 10 years. This years draft is a beauty
Yeah nah. You don’t trade away players of Maynard’s caliber.

Maynard's calibre? He isn't even in our top 3 defenders.

Maynard needs to stay. He is your heart and soul (Ben Johnson) type player.

i am a bit confused how Melbourne can afford an expensive free agent style recruit every season, while still retaining their internal quality players. Doesn’t add up to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maynard needs to stay. He is your heart and soul (Ben Johnson) type player.

i am a bit confused how Melbourne can afford an expensive free agent style recruit every season, while still retaining their internal quality players. Doesn’t add up to me.

Treloar was a heart and soul player.

Cannot believe some of you people , you don't trade 24 yo players who are in your best 2 or 3 , Maynard is one of the best defenders in the league
plays his heart out every game for us. Trade someone like Adams ,has value but can be injury prone and will be close to 30 by the time we are back in flag contention. Also he stuffs about 20% of his disposals has horrid kicking efficiency and a worse turnover average than Madgen.

Maynard is one of the most versatile defenders in the competition and one of it's best as indicated by his inclusion in the 40 man AA squad of last season.

He is our fiercest competitor week in week out, a player you want alongside you out on the ground and one you want to coach if you are serious about putting together a team capable of winning a flag.

At 24 he's also one of the precious few we have in this age range that are both young enough and good enough to be pillars of our next push for a flag.

Any talk of him being dispensable and a player who should be put up for trade is nonsense.

Cannot believe some of you people , you don't trade 24 yo players who are in your best 2 or 3 , Maynard is one of the best defenders in the league
plays his heart out every game for us. Trade someone like Adams ,has value but can be injury prone and will be close to 30 by the time we are back in flag contention. Also he stuffs about 20% of his disposals has horrid kicking efficiency and a worse turnover average than Madgen.

good lord… talk about overrating your own players.

There will always be a few that hate any sort of turnover but when playing attacking style football with an aggressive mindset it will always happen.

For putting the opposition under direct physical confrontation he is our best . . period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back