2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Well that's just rude. I was asking for clarity.

Talking about "the next suburb" makes absolutely no sense in this context. I'm pretty sure you were trolling and now you are too embarrassed to explain yourself.

Your yokel blinkers are in play AGAIN ... see the quote I replied to.
Your need to ignore the purpose of the thread, non AFL, is a recurring theme.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Your yokel blinkers are in play AGAIN ... see the quote I replied to.
Your need to ignore the purpose of the thread, non AFL, is a recurring theme.

My "yokel blinkers"? Nice one

The AFL is the dominant commercial sport nationally by some margin. It is very relevant to assessing other sports commercial arrangments

You are so jaded dude. That's the problem here

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
My "yokel blinkers"? Nice one

The AFL is the dominant commercial sport nationally by some margin. It is very relevant to assessing other sports commercial arrangments

You are so jaded dude. That's the problem here
You certainly see things through VFL glasses.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Sure is and don't forget the Victoria University is also heavily involved as well!
So all round a great result for the much maligned Footscray community!
Its Government at work, a gift to a footy club under the guise of community. The 'in' crowd at play.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Its Government at work, a gift to a footy club under the guise of community. The 'in' crowd at play.

Probably, but then the club and the community are fairly well interwined, club still has a heavy presence in Footscray via its AFL/VFL and AFLW/VFLW teams and tens of thousands of local members in what is still a member owned club, and has been for a hundred years or so. hell even when the war was on, they only went down the road to Yarraville.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The contract would place substantial obligations on the Bulldogs.

One of the stupidest things I've read here is that they might just on sell the land.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Probably, but then the club and the community are fairly well interwined, club still has a heavy presence in Footscray via its AFL/VFL and AFLW/VFLW teams and tens of thousands of local members in what is still a member owned club, and has been for a hundred years or so. hell even when the war was on, they only went down the road to Yarraville.
All good, do we have any relevant analysis of the community of Footscray today.
I' m not complaining, my mob do well from Government largesse, flawed as it can be.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The contract would place substantial obligations on the Bulldogs.

One of the stupidest things I've read here is that they might just on sell the land.

The additional land gives them a greater footprint for Whitten Oval. Theres no intent to sell anything.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Interesting manoeuvring around the private ownership of Supercars with a bid being fronted by V8 legend Mark Skaife linked to AFLs Ned Kelly through TLA Worldwide.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree, IMO the strength of SOO is based in the parochial Queensland support. If we get smashed for a decade like we did to them, the interest will drop.

Apparently the story goes that in the 1880s (or 1890s maybe) rugby and football were tussling for popularity in the Queensland but then in quick succession a Victorian rep team annihilated a Queensland football team and then a Queensland rugby team rolled NSW.

Anyway, last night metros were 5% down on 2019 despite the sydney lock down

werdna78

All Australian
Sep 29, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fulham Football Club
Should be impossible for Q to achieve a 50/50 win/loss record based on population or club numbers.
QLD have always relished the underdog role and the hate is real of NSW. The dynasty was awesome to watch, but the tables are switched and IMO NSW is in a prime position for their own dynasty.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The Australian 30.6.21

"NRL expansion: Second Brisbane team for 2023 season hangs in the balance

Meetings between the NRL and three bid teams - the Firehawks, Dolphins and Jets - were due to be held in Brisbane on Monday this week, but were cancelled due to government Covid restrictions.

The NRL’s focus has since turned to ensuring the current premiership season continues amid a growing list of Covid-related hurdles.
The players have been placed into bubbles and will travel on charter flights, games in Sydney will be contested at empty stadiums and State of Origin III will be moved from Stadium Australia.
The extreme measures will impact the NRL’s revenue streams and profitability for 2021 while also diverting attention from expansion.
The NRL was planning to make a decision on expansion for 2023 by the end of July, however it now appears inevitable the deadline will be pushed back.

At least one of the expansion bid teams believes 2024 is a more realistic date for a new team to launch due to the NRL’s more pressing priorities and the lingering uncertainty of Covid.

The NRL is nearing the pointy end of negotiations with Channel 9 over a new broadcast deal from 2023, with the result of that to decide whether expansion is financially viable [But, whilst NINE & Foxtel both want Brisbane 2, they don't want NRL to expand to 17 teams, as skill level diluted too much. Fear ratings might drop].

V’landys said the cancellation of this week’s meetings would not have a huge impact and he had not given up hope of a 2023 launch date.
“I’m not worried about the delays – a couple of weeks in the scheme of things is neither here nor there,” he said.

“The whole idea of having another team is to improve the revenues of the game. If it was going to be a burden you wouldn’t do it".

V'landys said expansion ultimately relied on what broadcasters were willing to pay.
“If we proceed or don’t proceed all depends on broadcast revenue,” he said.

“Our financial position at the moment is reasonably good considering the circumstances. A lot will depend on the next month or two".
“We will never put financial pressure on the game, never ever. We will always make the decisions for the best overall benefit of the game.
“If the next two or three months causes us to haemorrhage in finances then we will naturally have to look at it.
“The broadcasters have got to provide the additional revenue or else it doesn’t proceed.
“We’ve been negotiating on that for quite a while. We will know that in the next couple of weeks.

South Sydney CEO Blake Solly and Broncos chairman Karl Morris this week called for a decision on expansion to be delayed a year due to the uncertainty engulfing the game.

V’landys said the current clubs would be consulted before a decision was made.
“That’s part of the process. We’re not going to make the decision without going to them, even though we don’t have to.
“We have to show that it’s to the full benefit of the game. If we can’t convince ourselves that step won’t need to proceed” ".
TRAVIS MEYNE

(Click on "Travis"- then scroll to 30.6 "Expansion Shock" in the subject index for full article)

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
perth-wildcats-have-a-new-owner-with-takeover-by-seg-completed/100259326

The takeover of the Perth Wildcats by Sports Entertainment Group has been completed, with the organisation confirming it has signed an agreement to purchase the club from Jack Bendat.

Key points:
  • Jack Bendat's deal with Sports Entertainment Group is subject to final NBL approval on July 30
  • Chairman Craig Coleman said SEG hoped to "build on the incredible legacy of Jack Bendat"
  • Dr Bendat said the Wildcats' success was testament to the "community-first" and "winning culture" they created during his time
The purchase, for an undisclosed sum, brings to an end the 14-year ownership of the Wildcats by Dr Bendat, which produced six NBL titles, and helped save the league from bankruptcy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back