Coaching and off-field staff thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you guys need to stop repeating the same jokes and actually address the talent dissipation that we're experiencing. Teams require consistency to stay on the top. Look at Richmond, Geelong. They don't lose staff or players, and they add what is required. We've lost Witherden, Hinge, Noble, we have had a coaching staff repositioned in Noble's job and now we have lost Griffith. I hope i'm wrong, but from what we're experiencing, I don't think we will walk into 2021 like we did in 2020. Even if our squad is better (per se), the weakened coaching department may offset that and put us back a year or so. I hope i'm wrong, but I'm feeling less optimistic about the season.
Think you will find Danny Daly came to us from Richmond with Leppa. Swings and roundabouts. The walls are not falling down

Overall I think we seem to be one of the teams least affected by the footy dept cap reduction for next year.

We have lost Noble but I think Stone is an excellent replacement for the coaching that he did. We shuffled a few of the coaching staff to the Academy which should probably allow us to access them to some degree. A lot of teams do not have that luxury.

Personally I would prefer to see us not replace Selwyn. Probably the worst thing we could do is bring in someone from the outside with new ideas who would tear down the very successful strategies we have had in place for the last few years. I would be promoting internally and bring in some lower level support. Aim to continue the program that is already in place rather than start a new one and risk failure. We absolutely do not need another Burton debacle.

Overall I think we seem to be one of the teams least affected by the footy dept cap reduction for next year.

We have lost Noble but I think Stone is an excellent replacement for the coaching that he did. We shuffled a few of the coaching staff to the Academy which should probably allow us to access them to some degree. A lot of teams do not have that luxury.

Personally I would prefer to see us not replace Selwyn. Probably the worst thing we could do is bring in someone from the outside with new ideas who would tear down the very successful strategies we have had in place for the last few years. I would be promoting internally and bring in some lower level support. Aim to continue the program that is already in place rather than start a new one and risk failure. We absolutely do not need another Burton debacle.
Glass half empty theory, maybe selwyn replacement will briing bigger and better things.Taking the easy way out get's us nowhere.

Do we have another osteo or is it just 1?

Strength and conditioning is never a one man show. The process won't change. And funnily enough the medical profession learns what works well and what doesn't.

If we didn't we'd still be performing lobotomies and tobacco smoke enemas.

Hmmm, tobacco smoke enemas ...

Good article regarding the reduced Football Cap

A little from the article
ONCE a week, Brisbane's Brownlow medallist Lachie Neale will be out on the training field helping young Lion Deven Robertson up-skill his game.

How to gather ground balls, how to position his body at stoppages, how to handball more efficiently on both sides of his body.

It doesn't stop there. Neale will watch vision with the second-year midfielder, taking him through the good and bad of the previous week's game and analysing upcoming opposition.

Neale is one of 10 Lions taking part in a coach education program established by Chris Fagan and head of development Scott Borlace.

Brisbane introduced the program – where players have essentially become development coaches – to mitigate against the financial losses felt by all football departments this year.

I saw that, thought it was a great article. Liked how Lachie is guiding Dev along. Was an excellent idea from Fages for some of the leaders to help the younger ones. That could work very well perhaps even better coming from their peers rather than a coach.

Most impressed with how our club is managing the difficult changes during these hard times.....and another example of how damn lucky we are to have Fages.

Last edited:
I saw that, thought it was a great article. Liked how Lachie is guiding Dev along. Was an excellent idea from Fages for some of the leaders to help the younger ones. That could work very well perhaps even better coming from their peers rather than a coach.

Most impressed with how our club is managing the difficult changes during these hard times.....and another example of how damn lucky we are to have Fages.
All senior players have a coaching role with the young players depending on what position they are being groomed for and do exactly what Lachie is doing with Dev. Its been that way now since the start of season 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone have any insight into how Mark Stone has settled into the Lions as our Senior Assistant/Strategy Coach. He came to us very highly regarded from Glenelg after taking them to their first premiership after 33 years. He seems to have a very low public profile.

In recent weeks, the sense among the industry has been the Pies are leaning towards appointing an up-and-coming gun coach – think Mitchell, Adem Yze, Daniel Giansiracusa or Dale Tapping – but pairing them with an experienced ‘mentor’ – think Mark Williams, Don Pyke or Brad Scott.
Personally, I wasn't aware Tapping was held in that sort of esteem among the coaches, but it's gotta be good for us.

Personally, I wasn't aware Tapping was held in that sort of esteem among the coaches, but it's gotta be good for us.

It's been somewhat widely known for a while that Tapping has been looking at moving back to Melbourne sooner or later for family reasons too, so the club would in some way already be planning for his replacement. Wouldn't be at all surprised if it came from one of our assistants that we had to stand down.

It's been somewhat widely known for a while that Tapping has been looking at moving back to Melbourne sooner or later for family reasons too, so the club would in some way already be planning for his replacement. Wouldn't be at all surprised if it came from one of our assistants that we had to stand down.

We have always talked up the promotion from within, so would be likely i think. We also did put a couple of talented guys back to the academy, in what i think was an effort to keep their salary outside the cap. Good system to build though, as the guys that are stepping up are familiar with the players, the other staff, the strategy etc. Also helps to attract some good talent. If you were an entry level coach you would love somewhere that is going to push you, develop you but also have a pathway there for you.

Love Fages to bit, but if it doesnt happen next year, time to consider someone else in 23 in my opinion. Hes done wonders for our club but also considering our avearge list I think we need new blood.

King showed stats that if a coach doesnt win a GF in first 5 years they are only about 10% chance to win one. Move him on and go with Don Pyke or someone. Hell, get Clarko up here, could we afford him, we like our ex-Hawks.

Love Fages to bit, but if it doesnt happen next year, time to consider someone else in 23 in my opinion. Hes done wonders for our club but also considering our avearge list I think we need new blood.

King showed stats that if a coach doesnt win a GF in first 5 years they are only about 10% chance to win one. Move him on and go with Don Pyke or someone. Hell, get Clarko up here, could we afford him, we like our ex-Hawks.

Attachments

• Chicken-Little-on-CNN.jpg
    Chicken-Little-on-CNN.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 45

You should stop listening to David King.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back