Player Watch Trent Bianco (Delisted 2023)

Spuddd

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don’t really have a position on Bianco, at least not definitive. Like most supporters, I love his background of being a tragic like us. His size and pace concern me, but that is offset by his disposal.
Am I willing to say he will be a star? No.
Am I will to say he will be a 200 game player? No.
Am I willing to say he will be a five year player? No.
Am I will to say he will be better than McCrae, Rantall et al. - No.
Am I pleased by his season to date? Yes.
Do I have hope for the future? Yes.

Like I said, putting a line through young players, or proclaiming them as the next Sam Mitchell is foolish, and just comes off as grandstanding.
So what you're saying is you're happy for someone to stand on the same grandstand and say that a the best mid from our recent draftees is a player who hasn't even pulled on the jumper because it presumably aligns with your opinions.

But when someone else makes a determination, presumably outside of your alignment, its foolish?

So what you're saying is you're happy for someone to stand on the same grandstand and say that a the best mid from our recent draftees is a player who hasn't even pulled on the jumper because it presumably aligns with your opinions.

But when someone else makes a determination, presumably outside of your alignment, its foolish?
I just think it’s silly to say that a first year player won’t make it. I think you have other reasons for doing that.

Spuddd

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I just think it’s silly to say that a first year player won’t make it. I think you have other reasons for doing that.
I'd love to know what you think these reasons are?

Because it sounds as though you know more about me, than me.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
How can you put Reef ahead of Trent, when one has played a handful of AFL games and the other hasn't?

I'm all for optimism, but this is an outrageous call.

Based on comparative performance at VFL level. Prior to his selection, Bianco was no where near as dynamic as McInnes has shown himself to be. Have no doubts that'll translate to senior footy once he gets his opportunity.

I don’t really have a position on Bianco, at least not definitive. Like most supporters, I love his background of being a tragic like us. His size and pace concern me, but that is offset by his disposal.
Am I willing to say he will be a star? No.
Am I will to say he will be a 200 game player? No.
Am I willing to say he will be a five year player? No.
Am I will to say he will be better than McCrae, Rantall et al. - No.
Am I pleased by his season to date? Yes.
Do I have hope for the future? Yes.

Like I said, putting a line through young players, or proclaiming them as the next Sam Mitchell is foolish, and just comes off as grandstanding.

Would N.Daicos fall into this category?

Spuddd

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Based on comparative performance at VFL level. Prior to his selection, Bianco was no where near as dynamic as McInnes has shown himself to be. Have no doubts that'll translate to senior footy once he gets his opportunity.
I've got no problem with this, as if you're right - we're going to have two great players on our hands.

I still have a level of hesitation as exposed form is as good as anything else, and we haven't seen him at AFL level. VFL standard as we all know, is a step behind.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've got no problem with this, as if you're right - we're going to have two great players on our hands.

I still have a level of hesitation as exposed form is as good as anything else, and we haven't seen him at AFL level. VFL standard as we all know, is a step behind.

Happy to admit I'm wrong if that's how it turns out but I'm very bullish about McInnes. Just needs to stop getting injuries.

I'd love to know what you think these reasons are?

Because it sounds as though you know more about me, than me.
Like I said, it’s grandstanding. You’ve got a history of changing your tune though. Remember you being bullish on Wilson only to drop him like a hot potato.

You like Bianco, hope you’re right about him. You’ve put a line through Rantall and Macrae. Hope you’re wrong about them.

vinnievavoom

Senior List
Mar 26, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Happy to admit I'm wrong if that's how it turns out but I'm very bullish about McInnes. Just needs to stop getting injuries.
With McInnes' first few VFL games i didnt see what the recruiters saw in him. Then he comes out in the game her got injured and he looked dynamic and excites me. I am confident he will be a gun. Not fair to compare players because they are all different, but i think some supporters and commentators have gone too early on Bianco declaring him a budding superstar and on exposed form in the VFL and AFL im not convinced. I say give Bianco a break and don't expect too much too soon, or you will be disappointed and he will be your next whipping boy when he doesn't meet your expectations. Im not bagging Bianco, and hope that in time he can develop into a good player who can contribute. My issue isnt that Bianco is not good enoiugh, it is that some supporters seems to think he will be a superstar.

Spuddd

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Like I said, it’s grandstanding. You’ve got a history of changing your tune though. Remember you being bullish on Wilson only to drop him like a hot potato.

You like Bianco, hope you’re right about him. You’ve put a line through Rantall and Macrae. Hope you’re wrong about them.
And rightly so on Wilson - he had all of the attributes to be an instant contributor based on age profile and an existing history of being a professional athlete.

Yet, once he was exposed to the greatest test of them all, he failed & did so on consecutive weeks - to the tune of being dropped.

Here's the thing - people are allowed to have opinions on players, its arguably the purpose of this forum, you shouldn't be taking aim at individuals for having an opinion, even if its stronger than any that you have had.

With McInnes' first few VFL games i didnt see what the recruiters saw in him. Then he comes out in the game her got injured and he looked dynamic and excites me. I am confident he will be a gun. Not fair to compare players because they are all different, but i think some supporters and commentators have gone too early on Bianco declaring him a budding superstar and on exposed form in the VFL and AFL im not convinced. I say give Bianco a break and don't expect too much too soon, or you will be disappointed and he will be your next whipping boy when he doesn't meet your expectations. Im not bagging Bianco, and hope that in time he can develop into a good player who can contribute. My issue isnt that Bianco is not good enoiugh, it is that some supporters seems to think he will be a superstar.

It happens though,
As we supporters have black and white blinkers.
Every player we recruit will be a champion etc etc.
I fell into this trap with players like Sier,MClarty,Kirby,Tom Jok was another.

And rightly so on Wilson - he had all of the attributes to be an instant contributor based on age profile and an existing history of being a professional athlete.

Yet, once he was exposed to the greatest test of them all, he failed & did so on consecutive weeks - to the tune of being dropped.

Here's the thing - people are allowed to have opinions on players, its arguably the purpose of this forum, you shouldn't be taking aim at individuals for having an opinion, even if its stronger than any that you have had.
I think it’s just your use of high modality vocabulary. Maybe if you toned that down you would be easier to read.
Just a suggestion.

Spuddd

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think it’s just your use of high modality vocabulary. Maybe if you toned that down you would be easier to read.
Just a suggestion.
Luckily I don't write to satisfy your reading needs, in the same way you don't curb your condescending tone.

vinnievavoom

Senior List
Mar 26, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
[QUOTE="magpie_marty, post: 70821006, member: 180804"
It happens though,
[/QUOTE]
I think we have a promising group of young players coming through. I would pretty much give them all time except for 2 players. I think Wilson wont meet our expectations because he has a low ceiling. Also, although he tries hard, i dont like the way Chugg turns the ball over. We can persist with Rantall, who i think will come good as an inside mid in time. Bianco... Dont really know where he fits in. I think his only hope is to become an inside mid, and he needs to show more toughness and better spatial awareness. I love the look of McInness, Henry, MaCrae and Ginnivan. But they all need time.

vinnievavoom

Senior List
Mar 26, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
[QUOTE="magpie_marty, post: 70821006, member: 180804"
It happens though,
I think we have a promising group of young players coming through. I would pretty much give them all time except for 2 players. I think Wilson wont meet our expectations because he has a low ceiling. Also, although he tries hard, i dont like the way Chugg turns the ball over. We can persist with Rantall, who i think will come good as an inside mid in time. Bianco... Dont really know where he fits in. I think his only hope is to become an inside mid, and he needs to show more toughness and better spatial awareness. I love the look of McInness, Henry, MaCrae and Ginnivan. But they all need time.
[/QUOTE]
Forgot to mention McMahon who needs time and looks promising. Johnson and Begg are wait and see.

Luckily I don't write to satisfy your reading needs, in the same way you don't curb your condescending tone.
Ok Spud.
Hope your boy Bianco continues to shine.

vinnievavoom

Senior List
Mar 26, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just a suggestion.
From google... for those who didn't understand that post. I understand now...
"High modality words can be when trying to persuade or convince another person or reader by eliminating uncertainty. ... Other words include would, is, must, absolutely, night, may sometimes, rarely, occasionally, certainty, definite, certain, clear and necessary."

Just a suggestion.

In grammar and semantics, modality refers to linguistic devices that indicate the degree to which an observation is possible, probable, likely, certain, permitted, or prohibited. In English, these notions are commonly (though not exclusively) expressed by modal auxiliaries, such as can, might, should, and will

Thedivided

Cancelled
Oct 15, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure why Bianco is getting such a negative review here looks very promising and nails clutch shots when it matters. Such high standards on here nowadays and writing of blokes that missed a whole year of footy last year 😅 this place is going nuts.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
His kicking and decision-making by foot, at least by Collingwood standards, is trending towards elite.

And to be fair, Maynard was in the AA squad in 2020 and desperately unlucky to make the team, IMO. If Bianco becomes a player of his quality, Collingwood would be doing backflips.

I acknowledged that his use by foot was approaching that standard by comparing him to Pendles and Sidey. I also think that 2020 Maynard season will prove to be an aberration so I hope we’re not doing backflips when they know they have a very good one anyway.

DWil6

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2007
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Premier League
At least I have made calls based on exposed form.

- Bianco, Poulter, McCreery will make the grade
- Henry, Mcrae, Lynch wont
- Reef's an unknown.

So far, only Lynch has come close to proving that wrong... and he got dropped the next week

You've just put Reef to the top of that list and the bloke hasnt even stepped foot into an AFL game. Not saying he cant, but theres no form.

This sort of commentary makes one instantly rule your out as any sort of judge of footballing talent.

The principal of my high school was a pies supporter, he would wear his pies jumper on a mon after a win, it wasn’t worn much during my high school years, especially in 99 😂

Ha ha. Love this. One of my daughters was in primary school in 1990. The Monday after we won the flag, her excited teacher asked all the kids who barracked for the Pies to stand up, and promised them all 'A' s for the rest of the year.:p

Back