Game Day Carlton Reserves Game Day Discussion Rnds 2 - 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate, no one is suggesting they won't come on, settle down
Not about settling down. Frustrated than so many love to chop at the kids. I get for many it is a chop at the club to criticise recruitment etc rather than sniping the kids, but perspective is just what we need. Our structure at both levels is shot. Some through poor coaching and planning, some about massive player unavailability. Matt Kennedy in particular has papered over the cracks all season at lower level and now moved up.

As for them coming on, there is limited upside to them being forced to do the workhorse roles which should be filled by mature players. Carroll would already give comparative output at the top level to Newnes or Cottrell. Role playing would likely be better for his development than constantly doing the grunt yards. Not as sold on Ramsay’s readiness yet. Honey is the type to maintain similar output at the higher level and would benefit from some “cleaner” footy while not flinching at the tough stuff.
Can live with Kemp’s role for a while, but creative ball players do not benefit from long term defensive, mop up restraints.

Not too disappointed, depleted side had a crack.

Carroll the standout for mine, smart and classy with plenty of courage. Seems to have a decent tank too which is a bonus.

Kemp, good to see him out there getting through games. Likes to impose himself and finds plenty of the footy as a result.

Ramsay kept chipping away and has a good work rate. Plenty of courage for a player that small, which is his only down side. A big pre season will make him interesting to watch next year.

Honey, looms classy but needs to work harder and use his teammates more when available. Looks a good prospect.

Parks, battled all day and gets the most out of himself.. Athleticism is a bit of a worry.

Durdin, shows enough signs there's something to work with. Not afraid to put his head over it considering his size.

LOB, disappointing again and just hangs out the back of packs all day looking for it on a silver platter..
I'll be surprised if he's on our list in 2022.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

So did the match committee get it right for this week?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not about settling down. Frustrated than so many love to chop at the kids. I get for many it is a chop at the club to criticise recruitment etc rather than sniping the kids, but perspective is just what we need. Our structure at both levels is shot. Some through poor coaching and planning, some about massive player unavailability. Matt Kennedy in particular has papered over the cracks all season at lower level and now moved up.

As for them coming on, there is limited upside to them being forced to do the workhorse roles which should be filled by mature players. Carroll would already give comparative output at the top level to Newnes or Cottrell. Role playing would likely be better for his development than constantly doing the grunt yards. Not as sold on Ramsay’s readiness yet. Honey is the type to maintain similar output at the higher level and would benefit from some “cleaner” footy while not flinching at the tough stuff.
Can live with Kemp’s role for a while, but creative ball players do not benefit from long term defensive, mop up restraints.

I think I have been quite critical as to the gameplan across both sides, rather than criticizing players, which I haven't, as it's hard to assess given the style we play

Carroll, Kemp, Ramsay have more class as footballers, than the likes of Newnes and Cottrell, but they don't have the tank, speed and consistency. VFL to AFL is a decent jump. But I wouldn't of had concerns if one of those kids, replaced another kid in Cottrell

Perhaps, rather than having a crack at me, have a chat at those suggesting the same outs each week, based on their bias and or their opinion, that we would be better served by having certain players out

Again, I don't give a s**t about the names, age or where a player was drafted, just consistent output and structure

For those wondering why we're not having it all our own way:

E5MdAnCVkAEnAOY

Decent side out there for Coburg.
Don't know any of them

Honey is progressing in a similar way to what Owies was. He is getting his couple of goals most weeks & I suspect once he does get a look in at AFL level he will continue to register a couple of goals every week.

Yeah spot on. I’m actually loving the fact that we’re in a position now to actually develop these kids and don’t have to rush them into the team under done like in the past. Lukey Power was down on the bench for the second half today and you saw it straight away in the 3rd quarter these kids love him. It was a real eye opening experience to actually see development in front of you. It’s not something we’ve seen much of in the past.

Could Honey become our small defender?
Smart
Fast
Hard
Reasonable above his head
Worst case it Might help him develop as a forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think he could no doubt, if he can defend his opponent probably then also offer us some rebound with that turn of foot he has, I’d imagine he could potentially be that lockdown small/medium defender our list still requires, similar to Bews of Geelong... On the other hand we are bereft of quality small/medium multiple goal kicking forwards with a turn of foot that can be dangerous and hit the scoreboard also adding the required defensive pressure that complement our talls...
I’d prefer him as a forward option atm, has some serious upside if he can put it all together...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very poor last quarter. Just stopped.

Carroll and Kemp the highlights.

Ramsay worked into the game.

Durdin and Honey barely sighted.

Parkes overall meh though was ok in the third.

LOB unsighted.

I hope there are players coming back from injury because we got fudge all in the VFL. Though wouldn’t mind seeing Kemp debut.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

The ones have taken SPS, Dow, Kennedy, Murphy, Levi, Owies, Setterfield, Williamson, Parks, Cottrell, Gibbons, Newman at various times during the season, and when each of those players are on the field in the VFL they've made the difference. We delisted 3 KPD's last year, in Ben Silvagni, Hugh Goddard and Harrison Macreadie; Levi, Oscar Mcdonald, McGovern, Marchbank haven't been able to stay on the park. Our project ruckman injured himself a week after being drafted. Sam Philp - who showed an awful lot last year in the VFL - is injured.

The twos look depleted because every Carlton listed KPP is playing ones, and all of our young developing mids are a) in their first or second year or first year back from injury (Carroll, Durdin, Kemp, Ramsay), b) are injured, or c) they've gotten the callup, and are already playing ones.

The only one who's truly disappointing is LOB, who should be performing better than this. 11 disposals and 5 tackles indicates a change of role, though, so I'll be waiting for a match report to see if they've thrown the magnets round.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

The ones have taken SPS, Dow, Kennedy, Murphy, Levi, Owies, Setterfield, Williamson, Parks, Cottrell, Gibbons, Newman at various times during the season, and when each of those players are on the field in the VFL they've made the difference. We delisted 3 KPD's last year, in Ben Silvagni, Hugh Goddard and Harrison Macreadie; Levi, Oscar Mcdonald, McGovern, Marchbank haven't been able to stay on the park. Our project ruckman injured himself a week after being drafted. Sam Philp - who showed an awful lot last year in the VFL - is injured.

The twos look depleted because every Carlton listed KPP is playing ones, and all of our young developing mids are a) in their first or second year or first year back from injury (Carroll, Durdin, Kemp, Ramsay), b) are injured, or c) they've gotten the callup, and are already playing ones.

The only one who's truly disappointing is LOB, who should be performing better than this. 11 disposals and 5 tackles indicates a change of role, though, so I'll be waiting for a match report to see if they've thrown the magnets round.
You only have to go back 2 weeks ago to our win against Port Melbourne & our best 3 were SPS, Murphy & Casboult.

There is little continuity in our VFL side because of injuries. Just about every week we are having to elevate someone to the seniors to replace another injured player.

I think that you forgot to add "in my opinion".

You really don't think that Ramsay and Honey are ready for senior footy yet.

They are not. In my opinion.
I'm not sure why I need to do that on a discussion forum, when the comment is clearly associated with my username. The default assumption when describing a player's performance should be that it is my opinion, and not held as fact.

If I was speaking about the generally accepted view I'd state as much, and you could take a different tact if I provided objective evidence of my opinion (e.g. stats). This is the default strawman argument on forums, and reflects that someone feels like they are on the losing side of argument.

Focus on something else, because I'm happy to discuss.

Thought he was our best against port melb the other week as well class above that day.
Didn't see the match today, great to hear.👍👍👍

Yeah mate he played well the young fella. Was on Lowson for Coburg in the 2nd and 3rd and kept him goalless. Lowson kicked 2 in the first and 2 in the last.

You only have to go back 2 weeks ago to our win against Port Melbourne & our best 3 were SPS, Murphy & Casboult.

There is little continuity in our VFL side because of injuries. Just about every week we are having to elevate someone to the seniors to replace another injured player.
Murphy and Casboult weren't in the best 3 for those of us watching and commenting on that game (subjective I know), those 2 from memory were more around 6-8. Cas was still doing Cas things during that game, think people focused too much on these 2 players stats, not quality of possesions

I think I have been quite critical as to the gameplan across both sides, rather than criticizing players, which I haven't, as it's hard to assess given the style we play

Carroll, Kemp, Ramsay have more class as footballers, than the likes of Newnes and Cottrell, but they don't have the tank, speed and consistency. VFL to AFL is a decent jump. But I wouldn't of had concerns if one of those kids, replaced another kid in Cottrell

Perhaps, rather than having a crack at me, have a chat at those suggesting the same outs each week, based on their bias and or their opinion, that we would be better served by having certain players out

Again, I don't give a sh*t about the names, age or where a player was drafted, just consistent output and structure
Yep only thing that's good about this year is we haven't thrown anyone to the wolves -- Ramsay kemp Carroll honey durdin need miles not hammerings . The one thing I didn't like when we started this journey is we bought in the cannon fodder to keep turning over but sent in the kids to supposedly get games into them - crazy sh$$t right there put dow etc way back maybe not having our own VFL side didn't help but for me that's an excuse

Very poor last quarter. Just stopped.

Carroll and Kemp the highlights.

Ramsay worked into the game.

Durdin and Honey barely sighted.

Parkes overall meh though was ok in the third.

LOB unsighted.

I hope there are players coming back from injury because we got fudge all in the VFL. Though wouldn’t mind seeing Kemp debut.
Sad to hear LOB did nothing. Kemp, Carroll and Ramsay better. Look for the positives.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back