Senior 7. Matthew Kennedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Always had a soft spot for him so rapt that he's putting together a string of good games after it appeared as though his cards were marked.
May not win many foot races but has some presence both forward and over the ball and is one of a few that go out of their way to initiate contact - if he continues to work on his defensive game, he'll hold down a place in our side for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Playing to his strengths, but yet another game where we fade late because we can't pace our minutes and effort as a team. He's not the sole culprit there, though.

If he's got value in the league and we're serious about the list we've built and where we want to take it, I'd take a pick in the 15-30 range and run. If he doesn't, we can just retain him on the rookie list, happy for us to do that ahead of keeping Newman, Pittonet, McDonald, Parks, and Newnes. He's earned that.

I don't think anyone can sign him away from us without us delisting him.

Playing to his strengths, but yet another game where we fade late because we can't pace our minutes and effort as a team. He's not the sole culprit there, though.

If he's got value in the league and we're serious about the list we've built and where we want to take it, I'd take a pick in the 15-30 range and run. If he doesn't, we can just retain him on the rookie list, happy for us to do that ahead of keeping Newman, Pittonet, McDonald, Parks, and Newnes. He's earned that.

I don't think anyone can sign him away from us without us delisting him.

He had 11 disposals in the last quarter. Kennedy, Silvagni, Walsh and Weitering were the ones who kept us running. He's not the sole culprit for any late fade, because he's not a culprit at all. Wow Jimmae, Kennedy has really done a number on you somewhere. It's okay to back off from a strong opinion on someone and hope they prove you wrong.

Thought he was done, but been very good last 3 weeks. Almost certain to stay now, if he can maintain 20+ possession games.

He plays with intent, bit of grunt and passion, things sadly missing from Setterfields game.

Walsh more on a wing, Ed in a more peripheral role and Kennedy and Dow getting more midfield grabbing it with both hands has been a big factor in us getting over the line the last 2 weeks.

He had 11 disposals in the last quarter. Kennedy, Silvagni, Walsh and Weitering were the ones who kept us running. He's not the sole culprit for any late fade, because he's not a culprit at all. Wow Jimmae, Kennedy has really done a number on you somewhere. It's okay to back off from a strong opinion on someone and hope they prove you wrong.
I've seen it repeatedly in his running patterns and ability to pressure. It's not about his consistency across a game, it's about his imapct in those areas, and the flow-on effect that has on the running requirements for the team.

Modern statistical analysis of sporting performance takes into account this sort of thing, and if we're even close to best practice at the club, Kennedy's performances would light up like a Christmas tree.

Happy to retain if we can't faciliate a trade, but he's not best 30 to me.

I've seen it repeatedly in his running patterns and ability to pressure. It's not about his consistency across a game, it's about his imapct in those areas, and the flow-on effect that has on the running requirements for the team.

Modern statistical analysis of sporting performance takes into account this sort of thing, and if we're even close to best practice at the club, Kennedy's performances would light up like a Christmas tree.

Show me that analysis then. How you can say he was one of the culprits in the last quarter is beyond me. I don't think I've ever seen you praise him. He's definitely your least favourite player going by your weekly assessment of him.

You're looking at ability to pressure but he had the second most tackles on ground. How about looking at what he did do well and then ask yourself how many of our players have the well rounded games you expect of Kennedy?

Show me that analysis then. How you can say he was one of the culprits in the last quarter is beyond me. I don't think I've ever seen you praise him. He's definitely your least favourite player going by your weekly assessment of him.

You're looking at ability to pressure but he had the second most tackles on ground. How about looking at what he did do well and then ask yourself how many of our players have the well rounded games you expect of Kennedy?
We held them to 1 point in the last Q but we faded? What did Freo do then?

Kennedy faded? He had 11 touches

Some people will go to any lengths to not admit any fault, it’s embarrassing really...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Each and every team has players with different skill-sets. There are tall players, small players, fast players, slow players, inside players, outside players, athletes and 'old fashioned footballers'. That's what makes them a TEAM.

Kennedy is 'an old fashioned footballer'. Tom Mitchell, David Mundy, Matthew Kennedy (Swans), Ben Cunington, Tom Liberatore and Ollie Wines are 'old fashioned footballers' who get around the ground the same as Kennedy. They play with a physicality and head-over-the-ball style game that makes up for their lack of athleticism. Their coaches and team-mates are aware of what their assets are and what their deficiencies are and are more than capable of covering with team structures. Your fixation on 'his running patterns and ability to pressure, the flow-on effect that has on the running requirements for the team' is extremely narrow minded and would have seen Diesel Williams delisted after one season.

Kennedy has played his best block of three games because he has finally started to play to his strengths - physicality, tackling, contested ball, quick handballs, penetrating kicking, goal kicking and strong marking.

I'm hoping to see him continue this form and be rewarded with a contract as he is the type of player we need, as it takes the pressure off Cripps.

Last edited:
Toughness and hardness are important attributes for the type of player that Matt is. He has them both in spades.

Confidence that you are not one bad game away from being dropped is another important factor. Reckon Matt is starting to get that confidence as well.

Should have an excellent rest of season.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Each and every team has players with different skill-sets. There are tall players, small players, fast players, slow players, inside players, outside players, athletes and 'old fashioned footballers'. That's what makes them a TEAM.

Kennedy is 'an old fashioned footballer'. Tom Mitchell, David Mundy, Matthew Kennedy (Swans), Ben Cunington, Tom Liberatore and Ollie Wines are 'old fashioned footballers' who get around the ground the same as Kennedy. They play with a physicality and head-over-the-ball style game that makes up for their lack of athleticism. Their coaches and team-mates are aware of what their assets are and what their deficiencies are and are more than capable of covering with team structures. Your fixation on 'his running patterns and ability to pressure, the flow-on effect that has on the running requirements for the team' is extremely narrow minded and would have seen Diesel Williams delisted after one season.

Kennedy has played his best block of three games because he has finally started to play to his strengths - physicality, tackling, contested ball, quick handballs, penetrating kicking, goal kicking and strong marking.

I'm hoping to see him continue this form and be rewarded with a contract as he is the type of player we need, as it takes the pressure off Cripps.
Can't recommend this post highly enough.

I thought Crippa’s work out of CHF in the last 30 minutes was really important too. That doesn’t happen without Kennedy shouldering the load.

My knock on Kennedy was that I didn’t see he, Cripps and Setters working in the same side, and I thought Setters was a better footballer. Proving the haters wrong atm. If he continues this form he should be given a two year deal, show some confidence in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was supposed to be a reply to your previous post, regarding delisting Kennedy and players going missing during games.

Kennedy is a permanent FA, he can go where he likes, if he chooses and as he’s a rookie I’m pretty sure, we aren’t eligible for compensation.

On your first point, how much of the blame for not being able to run out games, do you put on the players (Dow, Kennedy) compared to the game plan, coach, fitness staff and rotations?

I get a little bit of info on Bam (2nd and 3rd hand). One comment from people who know him is he is desperate to get back to the farm (near Wagga) to the extent that they've often questioned his desire to 'make it' and wasting an opportunity.

That's not saying he doesn't train hard or put in but unlike others, at least up until now, it wouldn't have been the end of the world if he had been de-listed and may it's a 1%-er that's held him back.

Hoping that this recent form is a turning point and we see the best of Kennedy.

Love the fact that Kennedy is playing like a player, who’s desperate to make it, on his last chance. It also looks like he’s been playing in a way, where he actually has an impact, he’s also very good overhead, so can play forward.

If he maintains this form, he will well and truely deserve a new contract.

He's actually the sort of footballer I have a real soft spot for. The same reason I've always been a fan of Sam Mitchell, etc. Slow but good old fashioned hard working tough footballers that still make their attributes work for them in this era of overgrown super athletes.

Should not be overlooked just how important he was taking the load off Cripps too. First half there were times I almost forgot Crippa was even playing (he was on one leg which didn't help) but the important thing was I didn't feel we were needing Crippa to turn up and be the hero, the likes of Bam Bam, Dow and Walsh were doing the damage.

I get a little bit of info on Bam (2nd and 3rd hand). One comment from people who know him is he is desperate to get back to the farm (near Wagga) to the extent that they've often questioned his desire to 'make it' and wasting an opportunity.

That's not saying he doesn't train hard or put in but unlike others, at least up until now, it wouldn't have been the end of the world if he had been de-listed and may it's a 1%-er that's held him back.

Hoping that this recent form is a turning point and we see the best of Kennedy.

Super laid back guy is Kennedy.

Likes football but isn't obsessed with it which is why the coaches need to constantly remind him to use his body and be aggressive.

Delist him tomorrow and he'd shrug and go home.

Kennedy set Walsh up for the match sealing goal by being 'fast' enough to assess the situation and good enough to provide a one-two option for Walsh to have a ping - who was good enough and desperate enough to get off the ground after being tackled and receive the one-two from the 'slow' bloke who got to position - ahead of the crumbing forwards and strong enough to hold ground under pressure to give off...

there were lots of little one-percenters on display in the final quarter which was the most pleasing aspect of the game for me a defensive not give up mindset that has gone missing too often in games for too long and what was really pleasing was to see a bunch of 'role players' not 'stars' do some heavy lifting when it mattered stepping up to a level they hadn't played to previously in the game - Levi actually negating, Darcy's influence, Fogarty showing composure in 2-3 instances to turn defense into attack, Williamson breaking the line with run, Newnes making 2 crucial field tackles when Fremantle looked out and away, Eddie pushing himself into midfield to impact in 2-3 crucial contests, Jones making 2 important intercept marks, Stocke absolutely cramming anyone anywhere near him and kicking with composed penetration...

Kennedy appeared in many contests in that final quarter and frequently had to cover for Cripps who was playing lame for a good part of the game...

this is what footballers do in combination together to win games when the game is on the line. Similar efforts from individuals digging deep to combine and resist Fremantle's momentum were on display in crucial moments all over the ground in the final 15 minutes- it was the type of successful effort rather than sort of effort that makes the difference between winning close games and losing.

I don't rate tackles inside the bubble as inherently being about being high quality with your defensive read and ability to position and execute, because often enough the ball can skittle towards you and you just collapse on the incoming player after managing to be second to the football. I'm sure that clubs break that apart to better identify that.

We faded towards the end of the first half and during the third, before rallying. Freo raised the level of pressure and our ability to lift ours was mediocre, and this is a common problem. This is an issue of game sense (ability to make plays and use options so we maximise our gains from our effort), speed, and anaerobic endurance (repeat sprints). Kennedy, Newnes and Newman are not players who can address that, so when the intensity goes up, they tend to fall away. In Kennedy's case this can be partially hidden by the number of stoppages, or centre bounces if he winds up as a receive option (similarly Newman can be covered for if we're switching the ball a lot or the opposition is pinging the goals a fair bit).

From the perspective of when Kennedy failed to rise above this: he had 1 disposal in the second quarter and just the two tackles after quarter time. Frankly that's him playing to his strengths more when he's on the outside of the contest (i.e. committing to aerial contests instead of ground level pressure), but the question I'm asking and in part answering is: what happens when other people cover for this, and are there better alternatives overall?

In terms of collecting and providing that kind of statistical analysis, I can't. Not because it doesn't - or at least cannot - exist, but because it's a professional-grade package that would cost a pretty penny to have access to. But the scope of it would be to link tracking data so that you can not only look at how one player can influence a team, but also how they influence their area of the ground at any given moment.

This is a huge part of analysis and recruitment in soccer, and has been for a number of years, but often it's a more structured and slower-paced game than AFL, plus there's more money involved to fuel the work. I'm not sure Champion Data or any other stats service would really knuckle down on off-the-ball zonal pressure, for example, and yet the ability to constantly close down leading opportunities would be a great way to identify smart/capable defenders and smart/capable defensive structures.

Some people will go to any lengths to not admit any fault, it’s embarrassing really...
Imagine reading an interpretation of an opinion and thinking you've got enough to go on. This ain't the Rosetta stone, I was clearly not specifying when specifically I felt 'late' was. Late in quarters as the game went, and in the second half, was the point I was making. We even struggled in red time in the first but we smartened up what we were doing to allow us to recooperate.

I will say it very clearly now: after the start of quarters, if the heat goes up Kennedy tends to fall away, but his endurance base has gone up over time so this effect can diminish over the course of a game depending on the opposition and their game style. Cripps can be similar at times, but he is a more explosive athlete alongside this.

While I agree with your conclusion about Kennedy playing to his strengths, I'm not sure his physicality is particularly menacing in contested ball situations, and he still survives on his quick hands there. One thing he does well is still generate a fair bit of power on his handballs even when off balance at the start of the action, but he achieves this in the old-school manner of diving as he disposes to generate the power behind the action.

Looks high-action and spectacular, but often takes him completely out of the play, which is regularly exploited in the modern game. He is definitely making an effort to iron this out of his game as much as possible though, and I still rate it as a tool to have in the toolkit when the moment calls for it. Absolutely a smart and tactical player, just his legs fail him a little bit against average (and above) AFL pressure.

Coming back to your definition of athleticism, I would argue you've narrowed your focus too much to recognise most of the players you've identified as lacking such traits.

Mundy has zip, Kennedy, Liberatore and Wines have that early burst alongside being strong over the ball through core strength and having good quality strength levels through most of their body (ie. they can shake/break free from most situations most of the time), Cunington also possesses that strength and is well-suited to accelerating away from a push-off or fend, and even Mitchell is strong through the lower body and employs significant work rate to follow up on shorter-range possessions to unlock things for himself and team mates.

This was supposed to be a reply to your previous post, regarding delisting Kennedy and players going missing during games.

Kennedy is a permanent FA, he can go where he likes, if he chooses and as he’s a rookie I’m pretty sure, we aren’t eligible for compensation.

On your first point, how much of the blame for not being able to run out games, do you put on the players (Dow, Kennedy) compared to the game plan, coach, fitness staff and rotations?
I'm not sure Kennedy can go where he likes if we opt to retain him, I think that restricts him to delisting himself and going into the draft, or waiting for the PSD to roll around. If I have that correct, we can in effect retain him in order to trade him. It's rare you see that in the AFL, but it's usually because the valuation of the player is such that either they get elevated to the senior list on a new deal or they were getting delisted anyway.

Given the nature of the rookie list these days, it's unclear if Kennedy is on a low deal currently, and I'd imagine that would also be a factor in figuring out how much we're willing to throw at him to keep him on the list. There's also retirements, other delistings and trades, as well as the return of a few extra spots on the senior list to consider.

I would also put some level of blame on Dow, Stocker & Williams (aerobic), SPS, JSOS, Owies (anaerobic consistency), Walsh (pace off the mark). Those are just examples of how I see we allow the opposition to get a roll on in patches of the game, and not an exhaustive list. Different players have different strengths and weaknesses, and certainly some have more strengths and less weaknesses than others.

Tactics absolutely play a role, but I feel like we're carrying a few too many of these players in the side and can't really build around all of them. Newnes, Newman and Kennedy standout to me the most, but when they're fit and in form, we don't feel the pinch as much, but it's a much thinner line.

Teams can't always have stars in every position, but we have so much talent on this list, that I'd rather start from the position of being able to naturally cover for our mistakes with quality mobility and skill execution than not. Footy IQ is needed and of course welcome, but if these guys are MENSA-level for AFL, perhaps their best role for the team is to be in the coaching staff.

I also don't have a problem with player-coach roles, but I'd have to assume that's too big a TPP loophole to be considered.

I think we - regardless of the fate of O'Brien and Williamson - need to move on from Newnes and Newman, but I still see a spot for Kennedy if we can't generate the kind of trade interest I'm seeking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back