Unofficial Preview Round 17 v St. Kilda @ Who knows where Stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Outs- Jarrod Berry, Rhys Matheison, Keidean Coleman.

Ins- Lachie Neale, Tom Berry, James Madden.

If Neale and Madden don't get up leave Matho and Kiddy in, I think Jarrod needs another couple of weeks in the reserves, Matho unlucky but he's only needed as a replacement for Lyons or Neale IMO, can't play another role, Kiddy has been down since the bye, reward Tom for some good reserves form, Ah Chee up to wing/fwd.

I would omit Birchall instead of Kiddy for Madden but our match committee wont do that.

Jason mp agree although J Berry will get another few weeks to build form.
Needs 8-12 games in a row.. Not had that for a long time even before last injury not sure was on song.
Really him and Kiddy not much game time as well.

Neale if fit for Matho
Madden if fit for Birchall. You noticed we missed some closing speed in the backline.
T Berry for Coleman. I think Kiddy dropping off a bit a Tom been good in the 2's. Tom closing speed and pressure above what Kiddy does
Although Kiddy lot more composed with the ball. Although Tom seemed to be hitting targets better in the VFL of late.

If they considered Berry fit enough to play this week they won't be changing their mind for next week

On form Coleman is the only one I'd drop. Let TBerry or Ah Chee play his role.

Neale for Matho if fit

Madden if fit for Birchall or Kiddy

Wouldn’t be in such a hurry to drop matho people ! Plenty along for the ride this week that go before him

don’t get sucked in with the neale for matho easy out
Who else would you put out if Neale is available. He can only play the mid role which is Zorko, Neale, Lyons, Bailey and Dev and McCluggage.

Re Jarrod - anyone found his time on field?
Quite possible he is being heavily managed and played limited minutes. We would have gone in confident, and felt we had enough ability to manage his return that way.
Played 50% of game time which is roughly on par with Prior for the year

If you were Matho would you stay at the Lions on a one year contract or would you take a 2-3 year contract from another team?

He just bought his parents a house up here, he's fanatically loyal. I reckon he'd take the one, and back himself into taking over from Mitch.

He's improving with every game in the seniors, so I think that's a realistic scenario.

If you were Matho would you stay at the Lions on a one year contract or would you take a 2-3 year contract from another team?

I don't think any team would offer him 3. Doubt any would even give him 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He just bought his parents a house up here, he's fanatically loyal. I reckon he'd take the one, and back himself into taking over from Mitch.

He's improving with every game in the seniors, so I think that's a realistic scenario.
Do you really see Mathieson having the running ability of Mitch?

I just can’t see him ever having the tank or will to run that Mitch has.

he’s a decent inside mid but that’s the only string to his bow

Last edited:

It's the situation he'll get imo. I would really like to keep him, he's proved extremely valuable this year. However, I feel like it might be a situation where another team offers him more appealing terms. I'd like to keep him as depth but that'd be selfish, though Matho might still see himself being a part of a premiership team or beyond. I dunno.

Dunno. He's obviously way too good for VFL and more than good at AFL. In his corner he's been kept out by a Brownlow medalist and he's performed well every time he's been called up. I can see some team willing to give him a decent contract for two years but him having to debate if he wants to stay at the Lions for one more potentially not playing another senior game.

Dunno. He's obviously way too good for VFL and more than good at AFL. In his corner he's been kept out by a Brownlow medalist and he's performed well every time he's been called up. I can see some team willing to give him a decent contract for two years but him having to debate if he wants to stay at the Lions for one more potentially not playing another senior game.

He's not alone though. There are quite a few racking up big numbers in the 2s.

He comes in but he's still our 5th or 6th best midfielder whenever he plays.

I don't see how he fits in bottom teams keeping more talented kids out or how he's best 22 in a stronger side.

Re Jarrod - anyone found his time on field?
Quite possible he is being heavily managed and played limited minutes. We would have gone in confident, and felt we had enough ability to manage his return that way.
67 minutes. Everyone else, other than Coleman (78m) and Mathieson (88m), played >110mins.

We've been doing a thing since the bye where we play the kids for limited minutes, which will be why we've figured we can do that. Prior had been playing about that.

He's not alone though. There are quite a few racking up big numbers in the 2s.

He comes in but he's still our 5th or 6th best midfielder whenever he plays.

I don't see how he fits in bottom teams keeping more talented kids out or how he's best 22 in a stronger side.

He fits into our team as depth, which I admitted is selfish. Players with his skillset and experience have options. If he couldn't get a game it'd be a different story buy he was kept out from a Brownlow medalist. Didn't have a bad game during that role.
Assuming he can't contribute at another club is dumb. Other clubs will be interested, I'd love to keep him as depth for another year. I'm not sure we could handle another year to a primary mid if he was gone.

I maintain Ah Chee is still being played out of position, and we won't see the best of him until he's moved to the wing or half forward. If Kiddy gets dropped, I hope Ah Chee takes over his role and either Madden or Answerth takes over Ah Chee's role down back, depending on fitness.

Could get a two year deal if someone wants to poach him on the cheap when we only offer a year, similar to how we got Cockatoo in.

Given his comments, I'm not sure if that'll be enough to get him to uproot... hard to tell.

I like to keep Matho.. Although depends on list spots and if he still happy to be break glass type of guy
Cannot see him getting a game unless someone is injured. We could also draft someone end of year who could also push him back again

Said the same with Witherden last year. Was too good for twos although others ahead of him.
Walker and Keays a few years beforehand.

Although we do need depth.. CEY has another year although always injured.

Outs- Jarrod Berry, Rhys Matheison, Keidean Coleman.

Ins- Lachie Neale, Tom Berry, James Madden.

If Neale and Madden don't get up leave Matho and Kiddy in, I think Jarrod needs another couple of weeks in the reserves, Matho unlucky but he's only needed as a replacement for Lyons or Neale IMO, can't play another role, Kiddy has been down since the bye, reward Tom for some good reserves form, Ah Chee up to wing/fwd.

I would omit Birchall instead of Kiddy for Madden but our match committee wont do that.
I am sure i read somewhere Madden is having an operation on hand

I maintain Ah Chee is still being played out of position, and we won't see the best of him until he's moved to the wing or half forward. If Kiddy gets dropped, I hope Ah Chee takes over his role and either Madden or Answerth takes over Ah Chee's role down back, depending on fitness.
I agree I prefer Ah Chee forward although been doing a great job down back again.
Think un noticed a lot by people he closes guys down. Where we have Rich/Birchall offensively..
Starc also gets a bit as he plays on the most dangerous small forward they go to and he picks it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back