Unofficial Preview Round 17 v St. Kilda @ Who knows where Stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Almost no chance Berry gets dropped. With Covid complications it will be very risky to let him return to Brisbane to play next week's VFL game. Coaches have clearly decided to build him back up to full fitness by playing and training with the seniors. Imagine he returns to Brisbane and then can't get back to Melbourne in a week or two if the club wants to bring him back into the seniors? Even worse who is he going to train with (extended squad in Melbourne currently) or play for if Victoria doesn't allow our VFL team in for games against Richmond or Box Hill? I would imagine he plays the next three games (all likely in Melbourne) and the club will reassess his position from there.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Almost no chance Berry gets dropped. With Covid complications it will be very risky to let him return to Brisbane to play next week's VFL game. Coaches have clearly decided to build him back up to full fitness by playing and training with the seniors. Imagine he returns to Brisbane and then can't get back to Melbourne in a week or two if the club wants to bring him back into the seniors? Even worse who is he going to train with (extended squad in Melbourne currently) or play for if Victoria doesn't allow our VFL team in for games against Richmond or Box Hill? I would imagine he plays the next three games (all likely in Melbourne) and the club will reassess his position from there.
As it stands now, the boys down in Melbourne are scheduled to fly home on Tuesday and play The Saints at the Gabba on the weekend. I guess it all depends on how our fearless leaders (Premiers in each state i mean) deliberate on the covid infections going around for the next few days.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In: Neale, Madden (if available)
Out: Mathieson, Coleman

Ah Chee to play forward freeing up spot in back line for Madden.

Berry to be retained. Will be better for the run and needs both the kms and the intensity.

Prior to remain medical sub.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
As it stands now, the boys down in Melbourne are scheduled to fly home on Tuesday and play The Saints at the Gabba on the weekend. I guess it all depends on how our fearless leaders (Premiers in each state i mean) deliberate on the covid infections going around for the next few days.
Excuse the intrusion, but Victoria has just opened their border to QLD so this game will almost certainly be at the GABBA now (bar any new setbacks) 👍👍
Would still be pleasantly surprised if this happens. AFL has been very cautious, at times, with this stuff. Thinking of the Freo, Collingwood and some of the AFLW games this year.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I maintain Ah Chee is still being played out of position, and we won't see the best of him until he's moved to the wing or half forward. If Kiddy gets dropped, I hope Ah Chee takes over his role and either Madden or Answerth takes over Ah Chee's role down back, depending on fitness.

Answerth just had groin surgery yeah?

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Either way they won’t drop Berry. They’ll keep building him up from here.

Your assuming someone else would give him that. They won’t.

I reckon someone will.

Readymade player. Known quantity. Won't have to trade for him.

We offered three years to CEY on similar logic.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think Matho has shown that he's a full time midfielder yet. He comes in and replaces 50 % Neale's time on the ball but others have to pickup the slack at the same time.

He's not really creating selection headaches. It's just him or Dev drops back out and Dev remains because he works defensively

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Yeah that doesn't include the city of brisbane which remains a red zone per the tweet I posted. Happy to be corrected if there is an update later today or there was something said at a press conference, but actually pretty sure brisbane city council itself and moreton bay council remain red zones - redlands, logan and ipswich are the ones that moved to orange along with other parts of the state.

I don't think Matho has shown that he's a full time midfielder yet. He comes in and replaces 50 % Neale's time on the ball but others have to pickup the slack at the same time.

He's not really creating selection headaches. It's just him or Dev drops back out and Dev remains because he works defensively
No way Matho is picked over Dev IMO, for the reasons you suggest.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You don’t play around with calves especially so close to finals. I would give Neale another week of rest. You understand their thinking with Berry but then again who would be a better prospect to bring in. Hopefully there will be some gradual improvement. Coleman has had one good game and I would bring in TBez. It’ll be interesting but we do carry and back players in even if they’re not playing too well.

Low key hoping we stay in Melbourne for this one, making the MCG our home away from home for 3 weeks would be perfect for finals preparation. The more opportunities we have to win games there and perform well on the grand stage the better imo.

We shouldn't disadvantage ourselves any more than is necessary. We have genuine prospects of a top two finish, two Gabba finals. Vital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back