Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem I find with this is physical development is never linear, most of the issues come from nigglely injuries that mean you can’t train to your maximum potential for improvement..

he is tracking fine, especially after a bout of OP.

Kingy should absolutely know that he pushed himself this pre-season and wound up with OP. He's progressing well.

Yes I saw his game against the Gold Coast. The jogging around and timidity seems to be more pronounced against the better teams, the Bulldogs are one of the better teams. We shall see how he goes.
Didn't see it the week before against Brisbane tho. He ran out of legs a bit that's about it. He came good in the last tho.

Once he can mentally gut run to his limits then he will elevate.
Pre season piggy back someone like Simpkin on pushing to limits but also needs a sound body.
Froggy and Simpkin are the fitness leaders.

I’ve dealt with some hard things over the years. Even quite recently. One of the things that helped get me through it was that I could deal with it and everything else on my terms. If I didn’t want to see people or face the world, I didn’t have to.

To think he had to deal with this basically from the second he was drafted, as he tried to become and afl player, through the losing and sacking of 2 coaches, through a hub and pandemic, through a shoulder reco and OP, through average form and criticism.

Really puts into perspective what he’s made of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve dealt with some hard things over the years. Even quite recently. One of the things that helped get me through it was that I could deal with it and everything else on my terms. If I didn’t want to see people or face the world, I didn’t have to.

To think he had to deal with this basically from the second he was drafted, as he tried to become and afl player, through the losing and sacking of 2 coaches, through a hub and pandemic, through a shoulder reco and OP, through average form and criticism.

Really puts into perspective what he’s made of.
Still basically a yearling in centre square midfielder terms too. As the pain of this grief fades and he continues to get stronger and work on his craft we're going to see a truly special midfielder for this club.

Geez I have to admit that article got me unashamedly emotional. LDU has been through more than most players would be faced with in an entire career. Injury and form is one thing but losing your father, best mate and mentor all rolled into one through the evil beast that is cancer would have been sickening for him.

So much credit to him for fronting up week after week, despite at times lingering injury, external criticism/pressure and most critically the ongoing spectre of his dad's illness. Thank God for the North Melbourne family. There is a bond for life there, one that will help him through the dark times now and into the future. Hopefully the last four years will bit by bit start to dissipate to the point that the baggage has slipped away and emotionally and physically he can be the best and most focussed person/footballer he can be. Go Team Luke!!!!!

Read this article and would just like to say that I know what this young man is going through. This part is very hard:

"He'd always text me before games saying 'Good luck, love you' and all of that and it's just s**t that it doesn't happen anymore. People say it gets easier with time, and I'm hoping it does. But there isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about him, that's for sure."

I don't think it ever does get better, you just get used to it. But his Dad obviously was extremely proud of him, and whatever he achieves in footy and in life will be a testament to that.

Beautiful article about a beautiful man, father and family.

When LDU was doing some…unusual things on the field earlier in the season - kicking for goal without putting his boot back on, running too far out of centre bounce one week then bouncing while being tackled the next, I figured something was up and his mind was kinda elsewhere.

When it came out about his Dad shortly afterwards it was like “yeah, no wonder.” The mental strength LDU had and has to keep going, keep fronting up and keep getting better…just amazing.

We have to win #5 for Luke and Peter. We have to.

To me there has always seemed to be a gap between the LDU portrayed prior to the draft and the LDU we have so far seen. I only say this from someone who didn't have much of an idea outside of some articles prior to the draft. I haven't seen the professionalism that Lloyd kept talking about or that real drive.

I think this article gives us a great understanding of why this gap exists. Such a tough thing to cope with particularly so close to a life changing moment. Here's hoping that the incredibly tough circumstances that he has endured only strengthens his resolve and that he continues to make his dad proud, which is pretty much breathing at this point.

This kid has a heart the size of Phar Lap and I'll always remember that great vid with his mum and dad when drafted. Have a lot of time for LDU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back