Mega Thread MFC Dogs Thread - sponsored by dee_mac

Remove this Banner Ad

Here to farm likes
This is Maxy (named after Gawn), he is a nearly 4year old schnoodle (schnauzer+ poodle). He is very crazy and spends his time barking at people outside, jumping on us and doing anything for food. I love him and when he is chill he is very sweet, my mum is on crutches after surgery and he now spends his time sitting next to her getting pats.

IMG20200506105239.jpg

IMG20210623140015.jpg
IMG20210615201125.jpg

Here to farm likes
This is Maxy (named after Gawn), he is a nearly 4year old schnoodle (schnauzer+ poodle). He is very crazy and spends his time barking at people outside, jumping on us and doing anything for food. I love him and when he is chill he is very sweet, my mum is on crutches after surgery and he now spends his time sitting next to her getting pats.

View attachment 1166280

View attachment 1166282View attachment 1166284
He must be old given the photos were taken on a 3315

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Have been asking every dog walker on a walk if he can approach to meet them as he's had a week since his second vaccination. Also, my brother has a blue and red heeler so he has already bee there to visit 3 times for the evening. Great suggestion on the shopping centre as he's a cute dog and people have been losing their mind when they see him so he'll get plenty of attention. Got what I can the canine version of crack (liver treats) which every dog seems to love which are good rewards for good behaviour.

Now he can go out I have been doing this, had him jump up on a few different things and he complied which was good. With recall I remember it taking only 10 minutes to teach my last do but I can already tell Loch doesn't have the same desire to come to calls hes still more interested in exploring new things rather than fixating on me. Last time I had my wife hold him in the sit or lay position as I walked away and release him as I call him, so I plan to try that again.

Good idea. I have already been doing this. I make him sit at the door before I say inside so he learns that he shouldn't just barge in. I will add the going in first as I had been doing this but not consistently. I'll also try the back turning tip.

Have him booked in for puppy school but I hope to have him trained in all the areas they are going to teach by the time I attend. I want to do this for two reasons; 1 to show off how my dog is better then all theirs and 2 for the social aspect for him to normalise being around other dogs in a foreign environment. I'm also planning to try to get in to a more advanced class to pick up some training tips on how to get him to search and find things and more technical things like that.

My sister asked me if I plan to train him as well as my last dog and my response 'better', so I've set a high standard and my last dog was so smart I've put high expectations on the boy too.

Thanks to all of you for the tips, some great ideas. Happy for any more you might have.
I think you should train him to dig for truffles. Truffles are awesome

Don't want to make this thread about me and my dog but I am. Clocked stay and come in the last two days! literally took about 20 minutes of total training time and he is a little boss!

Proper Gander he knows to sit at the entry of a the door to wait to be called inside also. He is still however playing the game and testing boundaries but he's only 13 weeks so can't blame a puppy for being a puppy but I'm trying to be super consistent in my rules.

Tip for those training that seems to be working: I am trying to keep him out of the kitchen and laundry and had the idea of putting some masking tape down as a line I don't want him to cross and it seems to be working. When I tell him to get out he goes right to the line and lays at it. I'm sure the idea isn't original but It has helped me for sure.

Tip for those training that seems to be working: I am trying to keep him out of the kitchen and laundry and had the idea of putting some masking tape down as a line I don't want him to cross and it seems to be working. When I tell him to get out he goes right to the line and lays at it. I'm sure the idea isn't original but It has helped me for sure.
A little late for Dusty. We've had to start blocking off the kitchen as he gets in and scours the benches for anything he can find.

Don't want to make this thread about me and my dog but I am. Clocked stay and come in the last two days! literally took about 20 minutes of total training time and he is a little boss!

Proper Gander he knows to sit at the entry of a the door to wait to be called inside also. He is still however playing the game and testing boundaries but he's only 13 weeks so can't blame a puppy for being a puppy but I'm trying to be super consistent in my rules.

A couple more tips for making sure you're dog knows you are the alpha. If they stand in your way (which mine did as a pup) look straight ahead (not at the dog) and walk straight through them like they're not there. If you're giving them a bone or a treat, don't hand feed it. Pretend to sniff it and dislike it, drop it on the ground and walk away. And if they're demanding/ begging, turn your head away from them and look up - pay no attention. They'll know you want your own space.

You won't have to do these things forever. But if you establish it all as a pup it is definitely worthwhile. Particularly for big dogs

A couple more tips for making sure you're dog knows you are the alpha. If they stand in your way (which mine did as a pup) look straight ahead (not at the dog) and walk straight through them like they're not there. If you're giving them a bone or a treat, don't hand feed it. Pretend to sniff it and dislike it, drop it on the ground and walk away. And if they're demanding/ begging, turn your head away from them and look up - pay no attention. They'll know you want your own space.

You won't have to do these things forever. But if you establish it all as a pup it is definitely worthwhile. Particularly for big dogs

Fair bit of this sounds almost like it belongs in a PUA book.

How to neg your dog into good behaviour.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Fair bit of this sounds almost like it belongs in a PUA book.

How to neg your dog into good behaviour.
I know it’s weirdo, but if you have a dog that will grow medium or large or a dog with energy (or both) it can be really important.

I know it’s weirdo, but if you have a dog that will grow medium or large or a dog with energy (or both) it can be really important.

Like a Hungarian Vizsla? Mine is a nutter (but my favourite nutter).

We were quite good at this kind of stuff... but then we moved in with my partners parents and they may have turned him into a monster.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Like a Hungarian Vizsla? Mine is a nutter (but my favourite nutter).

We were quite good at this kind of stuff... but then we moved in with my partners parents and they may have turned him into a monster.
I love Vizlas. They’re my favourite dogs. I looked after someone’s house and four Vizlas in US for about a year way back. They were nuts though. Two of them were pretty much pups though I guess. They had heaps of energy.

I get ignoring your dog when it's doing blatant attention-seeking behaviour, but I can't really get behind the whole alpha/beta 'eat first so your dog knows you're boss' philosophy. Haven't seen enough evidence to prove it's more effective than simply setting consistent expectations, reinforcing good behaviour and giving consequences for bad behaviour.

I get ignoring your dog when it's doing blatant attention-seeking behaviour, but I can't really get behind the whole alpha/beta 'eat first so your dog knows you're boss' philosophy. Haven't seen enough evidence to prove it's more effective than simply setting consistent expectations, reinforcing good behaviour and giving consequences for bad behaviour.
My family has had five dogs across my lifetime and we’ve always been super chilled with them while doing those last few things you’ve mentioned and they’ve all been extremely well behaved and happy and healthy. Increasingly convinced that the overly prescriptive approaches people take to raising dogs are meaningless. For the most part I feel like dogs are pretty intuitive and will reflect back the lack of tension you impose upon them by acting with a little bit of commonsense where necessary and otherwise just ******* relaxing so they feel comfortable around the house. There’s only so far you can go to coach certain arbitrary habits into them - or at least there’s a certain expectation of ‘perfect dog behaviour’ which is only negligibly different to the more reasonable baseline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hhmmm, have you been talking to my missus?

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back