Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if he turns out to be good, what are the odds he turns out to be *as good* as Clarkson? Committing to an untested coach, no matter how promising, ahead of a four-time premiership winner is complete madness.
It is Malthouse to Buckley but way way worse.

Even if he turns out to be good, what are the odds he turns out to be *as good* as Clarkson? Committing to an untested coach, no matter how promising, ahead of a four-time premiership winner is complete madness.

It is risky.

I can see a malthouse/buckley situation at the hawks next year. Both head coaches had massive egos and would not let the understudy touch “their” team. I hope it causes all sorts of friction.

We all know how much of an angry little flog clarko is.

Looking at it purely from a timing perspective and nothing else (e.g. ignoring financial aspects), the clubs in the best position to land Clarkson in 2023 would appear to be:

Gold Coast
Port Adelaide
Carlton
GWS
St Kilda
West Coast

I'm going by the logic of these clubs being the most likely to have reached the end of the road with their current coach by that time. Gold Coast and Carlton would have to hold off on sacking Dew and Teague for another year and a half but there's an argument it would be worth it for the chance to recruit the most coveted coach in the business. Not sure when Hinkley's contract comes to an end but he's had almost a decade now, so if he hasn't delivered a flag by the end of next year surely they accept it's not going to happen. Same goes for Cameron.

There's a lot of speculation at this point about what Clarko will do. But I don't think he's the kind of man to renege on the succession plan out of ego (Not like Malthouse). He loves the Hawks and will see it through because of that. What he wants to do after 2022 is anyone's guess and after 18 years as a senior coach, I think he'd be quite rich by this point and may just wish to retire on the wealth he's accumulated. Or if he does want to keep coaching he might choose to take a year out of football first. He can afford it. But in the end, it's all up to Clarko, and going by how he likes to play his cards close to his chest, I don't think we'll know until it happens.

Last edited:
Why would he walk into that shithole of an organization?
They will fold within 10 years time.

He's much better off choosing a team like Collingwood who have history and a great fanbase.
Seems he's tied to Hawthorn for next season, so unless Collingwood is going to go with a caretaker coach for another season they may want to look for someone who can commit not and not wait until next year for that commitment

I also wouldn't be surprised if the AFL stepped in to give that incentive to move north

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its only madness if you assume Clarkson wanted to stay beyond 2022. If he was going to leave in 12 months either way then its not.

Can't agree, Malhouse is a shithouse individual and doesn't like to have threats to his throne or authority around. For someone who coached for 30 years he has virtually no assistants become coaches, unless you count the no hopers that were Watters and Neeld. Buckley was put there by Eddie not Mick.

Clarkson on the otherhand has been running a coaching school, Bolton, Fagan, Simpson, Beveridge, Ratten part II, Hardwick, Leon Cameron...

Can't agree, Malhouse is a shithouse individual and doesn't like to have threats to his throne or authority around. For someone who coached for 30 years he has virtually no assistants become coaches, unless you count the no hopers that were Watters and Neeld. Buckley was put there by Eddie not Mick.

Clarkson on the otherhand has been running a coaching school, Bolton, Fagan, Simpson, Beveridge, Ratten part II, Hardwick, Leon Cameron...
Fair point actually

Not sure you understood my point.

I’m saying it’s way way worse for a club to lose Clarkson than Malthouse.

Clarko ain’t much better. And none of those assistants directly challenged his throne, like mitchell is now doing. He does have a massive ego, and is an angry little dwarf.

A lot of it will come down to if he wanted to leave. I don’t believe he did. But kennett had him in the gun for years, and their hand was forced by mitchell putting his hat in the ring for the collingwood job. Notice that he removed himself from the race the day before the succession plan announcement. Forced their hand.

Clarko got called into a meeting expecting to hear news about a potential extension, only to be told to gtfo once his contract is finished. I hope he is fuming and fireworks ensue.

Id like to see Clarkson to Tasmania tbh, its about time the AFL woke up and gave them a franchise, having Clarko as coach would be massive for it.
Yep good idea. Exiled as far away from Kardinia Park as possible thanks with as many treacherous bodies of water in between.

The Clarko succession plan smacks of Malthouse/Buckley all over again. Master coach, yet a club board wanting to keep their champion player away from other circling clubs.
Isn't it interesting that the champion players get first crack at being a senior coach. Who knows if theyll be any good? What about all these assistants that have been in the system for years or decades that can't get a look in?
I hope it goes **** up for them!

I think it's not worse for simple fact that Hawks on field performances can't get worse. Clarko taking them no where so it can only get better for them

It's hard to fathom how good a list Buckley inherited and broke apart. Started from basically the same on field position as Chris Scott but with a much younger group doing it.

To paraphrase comments from military advisors to the US during the Vietnam war - more bombing is just moving the rubble around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back