Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

MinerBoy I see your strava full of runs in my area today..

Down ready for the Geelong Half tomorrow?
How you feeling.. Target?

Oh g'day mate. Sorry I didn't catch BigFooty post while I was away.

Just a family weekend. We stayed at the Geelong Conference Centre up at Eastern Gardens.

You would have noticed I didn't do the HM but did get out for that distance anyway lol. Stopped at the bridge where the 7k guys split off and waited for a mate to shout out some encouragement. Think that was probably 9km in to the half.

We both did Sandy Point about 6 weeks ago and I did 1:23 high and he went 1:24 low... yesterday he went 1:22:28 (not bad for an early 50s bloke).... so now I'm chasing him again lol. Have registered for the Traralgon half early June.

Were you happy with your run? Must have been delighted with the weather. Nice and fresh and the wind and rain mostly stayed away. As good as you could have hoped for in the end.

Oh g'day mate. Sorry I didn't catch BigFooty post while I was away.

Just a family weekend. We stayed at the Geelong Conference Centre up at Eastern Gardens.

You would have noticed I didn't do the HM but did get out for that distance anyway lol. Stopped at the bridge where the 7k guys split off and waited for a mate to shout out some encouragement. Think that was probably 9km in to the half.

We both did Sandy Point about 6 weeks ago and I did 1:23 high and he went 1:24 low... yesterday he went 1:22:28 (not bad for an early 50s bloke).... so now I'm chasing him again lol. Have registered for the Traralgon half early June.

Were you happy with your run? Must have been delighted with the weather. Nice and fresh and the wind and rain mostly stayed away. As good as you could have hoped for in the end.
Yeah I was really happy, knocked about 70 seconds off my PB getting it down to 1:40:58... Cannot at all complain, especially as 2 years ago when I did that last I had only been running for 8 months and did under 2 hours for the first time and was super happy. So I was thrilled, stuck to my plan almost perfectly. Weather was spot on, i was really concerned on Saturday but that window for the run was perfect, one windy section but otherwise no complaints at all

Decided I'm going to run my first marathon, the 2021 Melbourne Marathon in October. Have got back into running over the last month or so and have been working on getting my split times down over 8km (started 6.53, currently 6.04) just to build up the stamina after not running for several years.

Downloaded the Melbourne Marathon 12 week marathon planning guide and have slotted a couple of the half marathon events (Princes Park Run, Run for the Kids) into the planning guide as practice events for getting used to marathon day. Looking forward to what should be an entirely realistic goal over the next 5 months!

Shoe wise I'm wearing Brooks Glycerin 19 (2E), which feel absolutely amazing.

Last edited:
Decided I'm going to run my first marathon, the 2021 Melbourne Marathon in October. Have got back into running over the last month or so and have been working on getting my split times down over 8km (started 6.53, currently 6.04) just to build up the stamina after not running for several years.

Downloaded the Melbourne Marathon 12 week marathon planning guide and have slotted a couple of the half marathon events (Princes Park Run, Run for the Kids) into the planning guide as practice events for getting used to marathon day. Looking forward to what should be an entirely realistic goal over the next 5 months!

Shoe wise I'm wearing Brooks Glycerin 19 (2E), which feel absolutely amazing.
All the best... I'm also popping my marathon cherry in Melbourne.
Registered for the Mara a month ago, started building volume from last week.. Quietly shitting bricks but also really exciting times

Hope everyone is going well, and these lockdowns aren't causing too much chaos.. Gold Coast is this next weekend coming.. Anyone meant to be doing it and currently on a knifes edge about it?

My physio Dane has already head up to GC and I have a mate from this way I hope is heading up early this week to make sure. Not sure what day he;s scheduled to head up though.

No GC for me. I'm doing re-scheduled Traralgon HM July 11 (was postponed from June 6 or 7 due to Covid restrictions at the time).

Hey MinerBoy bouncing back to a previous topic we had discussed, do you reckon the Tempo Next %s would be a good first marathon shoe? Mine have become my fave pair of shoes, lightweight, bouncy, pull up really well after a run in them... I am thinking given i am doing my long runs in them I should get another pair for the marathon, and then today I see Rebel has them for $140!!
So regardless I might get some, just need to decide orange or teal haha, but if they would work for a marathon then it may just kill 2 birds with the one stone

Haha gday mate - I just bought another pair from Rebel earlier. I have 3 pair now and will probably run the Traralgon HM in a pair next week, instead of my VaporFly2.

Interesting Q too as mara ia longer than where I am at currently. However I was speaking to a mate who did a mara TT 4 weeks ago when Traralgon was originally re-scheduled and this is his exact quote:-

"I ran that marathon in them. I was not initially sure with how loud they were but they have grown on me. Super grippy in the wet too". Doesn't give much really but the crux was he had no issue doing the mara in them.

As much as I love the VF2 for fast stuff as they are so light and help the legs spin, I reckon the tempos are a little more forgiving and bouncy.

Just my 2c :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh I bought the teal/aqua lol....... I already have a mango and a white pair.
Did you just order them or do you have them already? I really want the Mango but they aren't showing in 10.5... so may have to go the aqua

also yes they are bloody loud haha, I ran the Geelong half in them and they were fine. I will do 25k easy on Saturday morning and that is also a good test, i found them so so the first 100k I reckon, but since then I absolutely love them, only issue i find is they encourage speed too much when you are meant to be running easy!

Did you just order them or do you have them already? I really want the Mango but they aren't showing in 10.5... so may have to go the aqua

also yes they are bloody loud haha, I ran the Geelong half in them and they were fine. I will do 25k easy on Saturday morning and that is also a good test, i found them so so the first 100k I reckon, but since then I absolutely love them, only issue i find is they encourage speed too much when you are meant to be running easy!

Ordered the Aqua pair this morning probably around the time you originally posted. Already received the 'shipped' email :hearteyes:

Yep I did Sandy Point HM in February in them and they felt great.

Ordered the Aqua pair this morning probably around the time you originally posted. Already received the 'shipped' email :hearteyes:

Yep I did Sandy Point HM in February in them and they felt great.
I have a pair sitting in my cart just waiting for me to commit hahaha

I have a pair sitting in my cart just waiting for me to commit hahaha
aaaaannnddd I commit

I just couldn't ignore that price, I like the shoes, I was going to get some more anyway I felt for my marathon so just pulled the trigger

Good work Rebel/Aus post - no mucking around.

ffd344c32cc6225ff9634d33046fb118.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why is it so hard to run in the morning? Easiest time of the day is within an hour of sunset. Any one got any tips to help with this one?
I find the opposite myself.. Hardest part is getting out of bed, running as the sun is coming up is magnificent..
I'm cooked end of the day and it just doesn't work for me.. Just routine i guess

Why is it so hard to run in the morning? Easiest time of the day is within an hour of sunset. Any one got any tips to help with this one?
Same with me. I like to run after work, especially after a s**t day. Release the frustration.

On a seperate note, I ran 108kms in June. Wanted to do 100kms in a month and got it done by the 25th.

Did it last year unofficially as didn't have a watch at the time but this time officially on Strava.

Legs are pretty shot at the moment, went for a run on Monday and was a struggle and pulled up really sore.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Not a huge fan of morning running but do a bit of it to tie in with run buddies and also leave evening open to be more useful around the house.

Awake at 5.15am for a 6:00am start isn't great fun when the body is a bit stiff and sore that's for sure and I'm really feeling it at the moment.

Either way, if you have people to run with it makes it easier - morning or night. Not so bad if you suffer together lol. Makes the miles easier and knowing someone is waiting helps with accountability.

I don't think it matters when you do it, just that you do it.
I'm used to mornings now, it absolutely sucks this time of the year and I hate having to wear a headlamp, but it's what I have to do to fit it in with the work and family life.

Building for this marathon it is more of a test having to do an hour in the dark before 7... But at least the days will start getting longer before too long I guess.

Same with me. I like to run after work, especially after a sh*t day. Release the frustration.

On a seperate note, I ran 108kms in June. Wanted to do 100kms in a month and got it done by the 25th.

Did it last year unofficially as didn't have a watch at the time but this time officially on Strava.

Legs are pretty shot at the moment, went for a run on Monday and was a struggle and pulled up really sore.

Well done on cracking the ton 👍 I've done my 2 largest months ever the last 2 months myself, touch wood the body feels really good though.. I have been foam rolling a lot more and am making sure I have a salt bath each weekend as well the day after my long run

Also... Got 2 new pairs of shoes this week haha

The tempo next%s in aqua.. Funnily enough I just looked quickly at them and chucked them away when I got them, not at all actually realising just how bright they are.. Really keen to start breaking them in soon.

Also got a pair of the new Boston 10s from TRC Ballarat online, massive change from the 9s, really chunky sole but just putting them on they have that instant comfort I felt so will see how i go with those as well, wondering if I roll out my 18k on Saturday in them or ease them in as well

I don't think it matters when you do it, just that you do it.
I'm used to mornings now, it absolutely sucks this time of the year and I hate having to wear a headlamp, but it's what I have to do to fit it in with the work and family life.

Building for this marathon it is more of a test having to do an hour in the dark before 7... But at least the days will start getting longer before too long I guess.

Well done on cracking the ton I've done my 2 largest months ever the last 2 months myself, touch wood the body feels really good though.. I have been foam rolling a lot more and am making sure I have a salt bath each weekend as well the day after my long run
Yeah I get lazy on the foam roller.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back