Review 2021 U19 Challenge - Vic Metro v Vic Country (Friday July 9, 12pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
With the Champs delayed, the Victorian teams get a challenge match because why not.

Live stream on the AFL website. Friday July 9 at 12pm.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Instant reactions...

Josh Ward was pretty easily BOG with about 30 touches and 2 goals. Looks a top 10 pick, along with Josh Goater who had a big second half. Darcy had a couple of moments, but was well held by maintaining touch on him. Daicos was below his usual standards for me, even though he ended up with 40 touches - disposal was below average for him, fed too many easy possessions. Ward's 30 touches felt like 30, Daicos' 40 felt like 20. I'd like to see him get an entire game across half forward.

Owens, Preston and Taylor were also good.

For Country, Connor Macdonald had a good game. Ben Hobbs and Josh Rachele worked their way into it. I liked Mitch Knevitt through the midfield. Mac Andrew had his moments, Josh Gibcus got the better of Darcy in the second half quite easily. Hard one to really judge because Country weren't as prepared as Metro.

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For posters that get to watch more nab league then myself is that daicos's normal type of game ?
Elite talent but Not sure if I'm just being highly critical and looking for things, I just don't think he is a clear stand out as some have suggested.

Elite work rate and I love his Acceleration over 2-4 steps when moving to get separation. But I just don't think he is strong through contest , I wouldn't call his skills elite and he looks smaller then he is listed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
For posters that get to watch more nab league then myself is that daicos's normal type of game ?
Elite talent but Not sure if I'm just being highly critical and looking for things, I just don't think he is a clear stand out as some have suggested.

Elite work rate and I love his Acceleration over 2-4 steps when moving to get separation. But I just don't think he is strong through contest , I wouldn't call his skills elite and he looks smaller then he is listed.

Can't fault the work rate, running patterns and all that. He's a smart player and knows where to position himself. But I think today was a below average game for him. Missed the last fortnight and then today was a step up in terms of opposition and pressure, so he didn't have his usual time and space at the contests. Thought his touch was a bit off, missed some easy kicks. He's always been a more uncontested midfielder, but having said that his contested side is usually a bit better than it was today. It'll be good to see him against bigger, stronger midfielders at the Champs to see how much is just him being better than most NAB League players.

At the very least, he'll be a good half forward. Could be one of the better ones in the league. That's where he actually impacts the game, not so much the cheap stuff at the back of the packs.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Knightmare did you catch this game? You’re a Collingwood man, right. Thoughts on Daicos?

I did.

Big game. 41d, 2g.

Daicos was everywhere and in everything. Skills sound. Work in traffic exceptional.

Consistent with everything he has done this season and not a performance that should surprise anyone.

Only creating separation as the top pick in my power rankings.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Are Daicos 41 possies, Tom Mitchell type stats or do they hurt the opposition?

Today he wasn’t Tom Mitchell he was U18 Toumpous! They just always seemed to look for him and because of the way he demanded the ball he got it in a lot of bad situations. My guess would be that if/ when he learns to call for it in better positions he’ll have more impact.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I did.

Big game. 41d, 2g.

Daicos was everywhere and in everything. Skills sound. Work in traffic exceptional.

Consistent with everything he has done this season and not a performance that should surprise anyone.

Only creating separation as the top pick in my power rankings.
Skills were hardly sound today muffed a lot of disposals and got himself/ team mates into bad situations.

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Daicos' biggest issue is he does demand it in the wrong spots at times. Sells himself into trouble and because he's so agile and smart, generally makes it work but got caught a few times today and coughed it up. I'm sure it'll be something he'll improve on as he matures, he is a dead set jet that could easily average 25+ through the midfield, or kick 30+ a year if stationed forward.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Skills were hardly sound today muffed a lot of disposals and got himself/ team mates into bad situations.

I'd suggest the opposite. Those instances were few and far between, with numerous instances where he got himself and teammates out of trouble just because he works so well, has the vision and is so smart and composed in traffic.

daniel23

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can't fault the work rate, running patterns and all that. He's a smart player and knows where to position himself. But I think today was a below average game for him. Missed the last fortnight and then today was a step up in terms of opposition and pressure, so he didn't have his usual time and space at the contests. Thought his touch was a bit off, missed some easy kicks. He's always been a more uncontested midfielder, but having said that his contested side is usually a bit better than it was today. It'll be good to see him against bigger, stronger midfielders at the Champs to see how much is just him being better than most NAB League players.

At the very least, he'll be a good half forward. Could be one of the better ones in the league. That's where he actually impacts the game, not so much the cheap stuff at the back of the packs.

Thanks mate appreciated, horne is still head and shoulders above everyone. How do you view goater? He seems the one with that desirable x factor as a inside /outside mid, Loved his work moving through traffic. Does he move into the top 10 based on his last month and how do you view him vs Callaghan.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
My guess would be that if/ when he learns to call for it in better positions he’ll have more impact.

Pretty much what I think. If I'm the opposition coach, I don't really mind if Daicos is getting a handball out the back of the pack. Or running past the guy who's taken a mark. Because if he's doing that, then he's playing behind the ball. I'm worried if he's forward of the ball and getting the touch. That's where he got his goals from.

I'd rather see him running forward from the pack, not running around the back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back