Review Hamish 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a mess, the one area we didn't clean out. From picking quality players to the overall strategy.

Blown 5 first rounders on

Fog - High ceiling but speculative. Fair punt, SA lad.

Jones - Reach on every experts draft board

McHenry - Limited pressure player with mid teens pick whose not a forward? I dont get it.

Galluci - Fail, didnt even develop him properly giving him 5 minutes of mid time anyway.

McAsey - Again with the first round KPD pick. Our two rookies (Murray/Butts) tracking well for their age.

Picking Pedlar on the smallest possible sample.

Using second rounders on Mids - Top clubs all used Top 7 picks as their core - Macrae, Bont, B.Smith. Petracca, Oliver. Neale (traded for top 5), McLuggage, Rayner.

Our midfield - Two rookie picks (Laird/Keays) and young second rounders (Shoenberg/Berry), despite being bottom for 4 years.

Where did Hamish learn to draft? Cause we have 1 superstar talent on the list who we dont know the ceiling of - he's filled out which probably takes some of his scope away.

Need to throw away a third of the list, completely wasting our time.

+ Reid has NFI what he's doing with list management and the club doesnt know how position itself coming into trade period. Got unders for literally everyone who left.

Its a mess, the one area we didn't clean out. From picking quality players to the overall strategy.

McHenry - Limited pressure player with mid teens pick whose not a forward? I dont get it.

Galluci - Fail, didnt even develop him properly giving him 5 minutes of mid time anyway.

McAsey - Again with the first round KPD pick. Our two rookies (Murray/Butts) tracking well for their age.

Using second rounders on Mids - Top clubs all used Top 7 picks as their core - Macrae, Bont, B.Smith. Petracca, Oliver. Neale (traded for top 5), McLuggage, Rayner.

Our midfield - Two rookie picks (Laird/Keays) and young second rounders (Shoenberg/Berry), despite being bottom for 4 years.

Where did Hamish learn to draft? Cause we have 1 superstar talent on the list who we dont know the ceiling of - he's filled out which probably takes some of his scope away.

+ Reid has NFI what he's doing with list management and the club doesnt know how position itself coming into trade period. Got unders for literally everyone who left.
Jones wasn't a reach, he was consider a top 10 bolter in his draft year. Pedlar didn't play much in his draft year due to injury but in his previous years indicated he was top 10 so hardly small sample. And you have Rayner as a tick....????

Sounds like you work at the club. Are you happy with where we sit? If you aren't you agree with everything I say so there's no point defending the indefensible. Your wasting your time.

I obviously don't work at the club but I'm sick of uninformed people on this board just blurting out false information all the time like they know what's going on inside the club. You don't.

I also follow the draft incredibly closely so I know to not assess players in hindsight. We've made some average selections in the past but name me a club that has hit on every draft pick. It's a game of probability. And people on this board make it sound like we've picked players who were not considered anywhere near that pick, whereas the reality is that clubs essentially have extremely similar top 15 rankings and it's just the order slightly changed up. People are kidding themselves if they think that Chayce Jones wouldn't have been taken within the next few picks in the 2018 draft. People are kidding themselves if they think Zak Butters wasn't around that mark for our first or second pick. Sometimes you can just be a victim of probability.

And sometimes poor development/coaching has a bigger say than the talent that walks through the door. Do we honestly think that Carlton missed on a significant number of their draft selections, or that something deeper in the club stopped players from progressing (Dow, Petrevski-Seton, Lochie O'Brien, etc)? Our lower level development coaches of Mick Godden, Brent Reilly and Matt Wright don't seem to be great at their jobs.

As a fan, no I'm not happy with where we sit currently but I can see the long-term goal. We can see that we have some parts coming together to build a stronger side down the track. There are still quite a lot of holes on the list so let's wait and see what happens in the next couple of drafts.

Berry and Schoenberg will be very good players but Ogilvie has had way too many misses. Doedee, Hamill, Cook, Gollant, Hinge, Thilthorpe, Butts, are the players that should all be very good players but comparing us to other clubs we have a very long way to go to build a group of at least 30 quality players.

Last edited:
Berry and Schoenberg will be very good players but Ogilvie has had way too many misses. Doedee, Hamill, Cook, Gollant, Hinge, Thilthorpe, Butts, are the players that should all be very good players but comparing us to other clubs we have a very long way to go to build a group of at least 30 quality players.

It’s not whether they’ll be good or not, it’s too many times using high picks on players who aren’t kpf or mids

Dunno how true that is, we were one of the first teams in the league to invest in analytics and bring in dedicated resources in that area.

We invested in analytics regarding pick swap values, future picks, etc. Not necessarily scouting.

Talent ID at the AFC isn't an issue. The selection of players with first round picks compared to later picks is the issue.

We invested in analytics regarding pick swap values, future picks, etc. Not necessarily scouting.

Talent ID at the AFC isn't an issue. The selection of players with first round picks compared to later picks is the issue.
I think you'll find Binuk also analyses the stats etc of draftees we're looking at and often highlights others that stack up well that perhaps our scouts are overlooking.

I seem to recall we poached someone from our neighbours down the road that works in this area as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pedlar and Thilthorpe are his first top 10 picks in years, that look like top 10 picks.

That is my only real hit on the guy

I probably shouldn't post here but...Pedlar was woeful last night. He doesn't look like a top ten draft pick at all. Tom Powell was a similar player type from SA who was the obvious choice at the selection and looks massively better than Pedlar at everything. (i really rate Powell!)

You have too many skinny flankers. They are going to be sore boys.

Ogilvie should have been able to re-set your list in the last five years given his picks but he has wasted the opportunity.

Picking a top ten looking player at pick 2 shouldn't be considered a huge accomplishment!

I don't know how you can keep your job after a prolonged string of failures...but we keep Kenny so who knows how the footy world works!

I probably shouldn't post here but...Pedlar was woeful last night. He doesn't look like a top ten draft pick at all. Tom Powell was a similar player type from SA who was the obvious choice at the selection and looks massively better than Pedlar at everything. (i really rate Powell!)

Ogilvie should have been able to re-set your list in the last five years given his picks but he has wasted the opportunity.

Picking a top ten looking player at pick 2 shouldn't be considered a huge accomplishment!

I don't know how you can keep your job after a prolonged string of failures...but we keep Kenny so who knows how the footy world works!
There were talk of selecting McDonald and even Hollands so this is consider a huge accomplishment that Thilthorpe was selected, Pedlar is coming back from a massive fitness base, he missed the entire year draft year due to injury and COVID-19 and the start of this year but in his previous years was considered a top 10 pick, there was rumour that GWS was going to select him with the next pick if we didn't. In the last 5 years we were consider premiership contenders so there was no way Pyke was going to play the kids.

You're right and "probably" is not the right word.

No doubt you wouldn't agree but Lachie Jones hasn't looked that bloody great and he wasn't coming off a shoulder reco and not playing hardly any footy in his draft year.

I think you'll find Binuk also analyses the stats etc of draftees we're looking at and often highlights others that stack up well that perhaps our scouts are overlooking.

I seem to recall we poached someone from our neighbours down the road that works in this area as well?

Chris Sheedy was the one from Port Adelaide. He is a football analyst, not a recruiting/scouting data analyst. He probably is purely focused on the AFL side and analysing opposition sides, not the scouting side of the club. Looks like we have Binuk Kodituwakku and Dean Dagan in the traditional analytics space now, both fairly new. We know that Binuk is involved with the List Management side of the club as we saw him in trade period being heavily involved. Not sure what Dean does but on LinkedIn/Twitter it just says Data Scientist so he might be involved in all parts of the club, who knows.

Remind me again what picks Johnno Butcher and Andrew Moore were?

Gee it's his second game coming off an injury interrupted preseason and start to the year playing forward in a team getting smashed. We've clearly accelerated him into the side based on on talent and potential before he's really fit enough.

I get little brother likes shitting on every player Adelaide has but surely we can give the kid a few more games before writing him off?

Ogilvie works at the right club were failures are overlooked and the blame is apportioned onto someone else. We have been disappointing for some time. While I don't rate Kenny at least your club has competent list management and drafting.

Remind me again what picks Johnno Butcher and Andrew Moore were?

8 and 9 in 2009?

Powell is obviously a gun. Maybe Pedlar works out..not writing him off at all but if you want to pick Pedlar over Powell so be it.

Jones looks fine for where he was drafted. We just matched the market. Bringing him back underdone was the fault of Kenny not our drafting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back