hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
He’s raced plenty overseas… Maybe the guy wants to stay in Supercars. He’s got a pretty good thing going right now just winning races, driving different cars on his weekends off and probably getting paid quite well.
Raced and won too.

Guys like Whincup, and to a lesser extent CL who dont bother going OS when they clearly have the talent to do so.... smacks of the "Big Fish, Small Pond" mentality. I know the money is a far greater issue but still

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
He’s raced plenty overseas… Maybe the guy wants to stay in Supercars. He’s got a pretty good thing going right now just winning races, driving different cars on his weekends off and probably getting paid quite well.
I didn‘t know that.
I consider Supercars a stepping stone, and a retirement plan.
Those prime middle years are wasted here, no matter the dollars on offer.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
How available are these drives?
Are they offered to Supercars talent?
Well they certainly aren’t available when you spend the majority of your time driving a car that’s no longer manufactured and a horrible copy of an American car squished into a chassis from a car no longer manufac.
No one from Europe is going to come knocking on your door.
You have to go to the mountain because the mountain isn’t coming to you.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Well they certainly aren’t available when you spend the majority of your time driving a car that’s no longer manufactured and a horrible copy of an American car squished into a chassis from a car no longer manufac.
Not entirely true.

Mostert was a works BMW driver, SVG has raced in Europe too. I think a few others have raced OS with success.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I mean yes it's harder, the open wheel era of Aussie racing is long gone.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
SVG was meant to race 24 hours of Le Man last year…
Yep, Mostert has done Daytona I think or maybe Sebring too.

The problems here is it's tintops or nothing really. I mean guys do the Bathurst 12Hr but there's nothing else. The cost of going car racing in Europe is massive

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Are you suggesting driving for a manufacturer was the key for drivers who have driven professionally overseas ?
No doubt it was a part of Ambrose's success.

Mostert pre Covid seemed to be a BMW driver on occasions, but cut ties in 2020. Was that Supercars pressure?

Open wheelers are the better route for those with an eye to a professional career internationally, with McLaughlin a real exception due to his Penske connection.

Carerra Cup has delivered for Matt Campbell & Jaxon Evans* is following that path. Jordan Love ** is behind Evans on the same path.

*https://www.porsche.com/australia/m...port/customerracing/youthdevelopment/drivers/jaxonevans/

** https://www.jordanlove.com.au/

No doubt it was a part of Ambrose's success.

How was it part of his success?

FINALLY, someone actually puts some blocks on SVG and doesn't just let him waltz past, good job Waters.

Back