Is Richmond a genuine threat in 2021?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d get roasted if I posted this on the Richmond board, but I think the time is right for a new senior coach.

Not just for a freshen up and different perspective for the sake of it. IMO Dimma has a long history of not being the best tactical coach on game day. He benefited greatly from his senior assistants, and with the new soft cap the senior coach needs to be good at everything. I think Richmond have been out coached more often than not this year, sometimes badly.

think we still have the talent to squeeze out a crack at the flag next year, but needs a Geelong 2011 style reset.

the only question is: should we target Clarko, or David Teague?

We were on the backfoot from the start of the season given the short turnaround between seasons. Haven't been able to play the same side consistently , injuries are a huge part in trying to get the team to gel and play some good football. If you take 5-10 best 22 out of every other team in the comp where you get one back from injury but 2 go down rinse and repeat you would be looking at the same results. Everyone gets injuries at some point I would argue that the Eagles and Tigers have been hit hardest from the contenders in relation to the amount of injuries to multiple players.

Compared to previous years we are now replacing those injuries with kids with no experience compared to the likes of Sam Lloyd, Anthony Miles , Townsend etc who could compete.

The older brigade have virtually all been injured this year bar Jack? Edwards , Cotch, Prestia, Vlastin, Nankervis, Lambert, Houli, Astbury and even Martin who missed with concussion but is struggling with a foot injury all spent a fair chunk of time on the side-lines.

Injuries aside I still think the way the game has gone this season we would have finished 6-10th best case, our football was pressure and system related, there is enough body of work from this season to show that with the new rule changes the coaching staff have not adapted the game plan or the players aren't fit enough to cope with it. Our biggest asset was intercept marking in the back half and rebound through handball through the middle. It hasn't happened this year because you don't get time to get back to defence due to the quick play on rule, it was evident in the first 3 rounds where we struggled vs Carlton and Hawthorn and got polaxed by Sydney. The coaching staff backed in their system to get the job done but the problem was the game was changing and you only have to look at Sydney's rise and the way they play the game to show the clubs who had adapted the most are in the top half a dozen teams this year.

Well, yes… I guess DH might benefit from an extended off-season and the chance for a re-set, after the turmoil (professional and personal) of last year, and without the scrutiny and pressure of being a reigning premiership coach. But I don’t think anyone should write him off as a capable senior coach just yet.

anyone writing off a triple premiership coach is just a dumbass. Should be given every reign to redevelop and go again for as long as he wants within reason.. he has points in the bank.

I am shocked hawks have wanted to move Clarkson on given his four premierships, the man is a footy genius and should have been resigned long term and told to build the club back to greatness. Hardwick should be backed in 100% and told the same

anyone writing off a triple premiership coach is just a dumbass. Should be given every reign to redevelop and go again for as long as he wants within reason.. he has points in the bank.

I am shocked hawks have wanted to move Clarkson on given his four premierships, the man is a footy genius and should have been resigned long term and told to build the club back to greatness. Hardwick should be backed in 100% and told the same
Yeah but you've been president of the Chris Scott club for the last ten years and where has it got you?
Zilch...

I’d get roasted if I posted this on the Richmond board, but I think the time is right for a new senior coach.

Not just for a freshen up and different perspective for the sake of it. IMO Dimma has a long history of not being the best tactical coach on game day. He benefited greatly from his senior assistants, and with the new soft cap the senior coach needs to be good at everything. I think Richmond have been out coached more often than not this year, sometimes badly.

think we still have the talent to squeeze out a crack at the flag next year, but needs a Geelong 2011 style reset.

this is literally the most delusional post and I am a cats fan saying that..

the man created a game plan that was the reason you became a champion team.. his coaching and game plan was a masterpiece that other sides couldn’t contain. Where you get the idea he isn’t a good game day coach has absolutely zero reality attached to it.

Obviously everything comes to a end. Our injuries to our midfield has killed us this year. No continuity and when they are back they look underdone. I really don't think todays result or the last couple of defeats truly reflects our best. It's definitely coming to a end but get those 9 best 22 players back with some footy under there belt and we are definitely more competitive

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

nope, sorry but the tigers “ look at us we have injuries” nonsense is self absorbed crap that literally half of the AFL has to deal with, it’s not an exclusive Richmond phenomenon injuries…

Early against Brisbane we knocked them off at skilled without dangerfield Duncan Jeremy Cameron menegola playing… that’s 4/6 players not playing and we beat a top four contender.

similarly against collingwood we had about 6-8 best 22 missing and got the points…

good teams still find ways to win, Richmond just aren’t up to the standard anymore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nope, sorry but the tigers “ look at us we have injuries” nonsense is self absorbed crap that literally half of the AFL has to deal with, it’s not an exclusive Richmond phenomenon injuries…

Early against Brisbane we knocked them off at skilled without dangerfield Duncan Jeremy Cameron menegola playing… that’s 4/6 players not playing and we beat a top four contender.

similarly against collingwood we had about 6-8 best 22 missing and got the points…

good teams still find ways to win, Richmond just aren’t up to the standard anymore
They’ve been dropping games all year even with a near full strength side.

And actually you blokes were lucky to win that. Umps handed you that win. We have won games with injuries this year aswell. I'm saying it's taken its toll. I'm not saying it's the only reason we are losing. Age, form are other factors. Just there was a 6 week period with our entire midfield plus nank out.

I agree with a lot of that, although your win against Brisbane at home was a gift from the umps ;)

Genuine question though, do you think if Richmond had Balta, Broad, Nankervis, Prestia, Lambert, Vlastuin, Soldo, Edwards available that we would be a threat in 2021? That's 8/best 22, quite a few in our top 10.

I know we don't have the ability to overcome injuries this season, but I wonder if people think our best 22 is still capable?

And actually you blokes were lucky to win that. Umps handed you that win. We have won games with injuries this year aswell. I'm saying it's taken its toll. I'm not saying it's the only reason we are losing. Age, form are other factors. Just there was a 6 week period with our entire midfield plus nank out.

Your midfield was stacked literally 3 weeks ago against WC

The ultimate pisstake is suggesting Richmond should replace Hardwick with David Teague.....

I fully endorse an end of 2016 review, where they basically built an entire new support system of assistants behind Hardwick, and we won 3 of the next 4 flags. Obviously that same strike rate won't happen again, but a rebuild of the assistant coach group will help.

i am flattered your labeling Scott and Clarkson in the same bracket, but your posting has extremely little relevance to what I posted
Yes it does, your unwavering love of Scott and
i am flattered your labeling Scott and Clarkson in the same bracket, but your posting has extremely little relevance to what I posted
Nah I didn't say that,
But surely you're going to have to finally admit Scott just doesn't have it in him if another finals series goes begging

Your midfield was stacked literally 3 weeks ago against WC

Even at the best of times, Eagles are hard to beat in Perth, so that's probably one that wouldn't really raise alarm bells for me.

Missing from the midfield was Dion Prestia (probably our best full time midfielder) Nankervis and Soldo (our only two genuine ruckmen) against Naitanui.

Mind you we weren't even terrible then. We'd been away for a few weeks in a row and lost to the Eagles in Perth by 4 points. Hardly a huge concern in the big scheme of things.

It was the next 3 weeks that rang the alarm bells.

Yeah but you've been president of the Chris Scott club for the last ten years and where has it got you?
Zilch...

A) I’d rather be in the mix every year than not.

B) The only way that would be at all relevant is if there was an available coach during that period who would have done better. Chances are there wasn’t.

I agree with a lot of that, although your win against Brisbane at home was a gift from the umps ;)

Genuine question though, do you think if Richmond had Balta, Broad, Nankervis, Prestia, Lambert, Vlastuin, Soldo, Edwards available that we would be a threat in 2021? That's 8/best 22, quite a few in our top 10.

I know we don't have the ability to overcome injuries this season, but I wonder if people think our best 22 is still capable?

I would say in all honesty no, not premiership quality, but top 8 standard still.

this is literally the most delusional post and I am a cats fan saying that..

the man created a game plan that was the reason you became a champion team.. his coaching and game plan was a masterpiece that other sides couldn’t contain. Where you get the idea he isn’t a good game day coach has absolutely zero reality attached to it.
Hardwick left Tyrone Vickery in the ruck for 10 min against Carlton in an elimination final in 2013. In that 10 min Judd had about 8 clearances and Carlton kicked about 5 goals. He had a long record of having a plan A, and if it didn’t work he had no plan B. He was slow to react in the box, which wasn’t an issue against weaker teams, but a huge issue in finals against decent teams. It’s part of why Richmond lost finals in ‘13, ‘14, and ‘15.

You give all the credit for Richmond’s game plan during ‘17-‘20 to Hardwick. It was assistants like Caracella, Leppitsch and Rutten initially, and then later Adam Kingsley and Craig McCrae, who did the crucial work. It was Kingsley who made the adjustments to our stoppage set up after we were belted by Brisbane in the first final last year. It was Caracella and Leppa who drove our style of smothering defence and turnovers in the middle and forward half.

All of those guys are gone now except Kingsley, who for some unfathomable reason has been moved from midfield to backs. Caracella and Rutten are now at eseendon. Let me ask you: who has looked like they’ve had a better system in 2021, Richmond or Essendon?

I don’t expect you to know all that stuff as you don’t follow the team, but maybe don’t mouth off if you don’t know what you’re talking about

Remove this Banner Ad

Back