Simche

All Australian
Oct 5, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Arsenal
Bad year off a limited break and with new rule changes.

Gee people here are spoiled all of a sudden. I seem to remember my endless youth being flogged and the team having no desire. Do not wish to return there.
Get everyone fit and see how next year plays out. We have six picks inside the top 50 at current, let's see how that bolsters us and if those blokes can compete with, and hopefully push out stars of our side from yesteryear, lets go for that before we worry about retiring off genuine contributors.

I watched the VFL today, and I hope some of those that are making outlandish claims here did also. Sampson Ryan is eons away from being a professional footballer, Eggmolesse-Smith is a level below, Caddy was best on and Parker I'm unconvinced of. Add to that blokes like Naish still being unconvincing in the seniors and after a bad loss everyone is willing to start gifting games to pick 35 from next year ahead of Houli and Riewoldt.

Culture is important. That's why we spent 37 years in the wilderness. Lets not repeat those mistakes.

Yeh man after 300 games and 3 flags this last 3 weeks has been rough. We've been sh*t for so long in this last 3 weeks. They've had kid enough in this 3 weeks. We can't carry them more after this sh*t 3 weeks.

Some of you have got so entitled. We look sh*t for 3 ******* games and it's push the club champions out? Ungrateful.

Or we could be like St Kilda or Freo.and keep our aging guns and drop right off a cliff for a decade...

The sooner we replace the aging players, the better off we will be in the long run.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Surely Riewoldt has some footy left in him. He's still kicking well over 2 goals per game this year. Basically on par with his career average.
List management is a forward thinking prediction. Jack is already on the decline and the signs have been there for a while, what does his form look like with +1 years?

Granted given he's a KPF, it may depend on what our plans are to replace him and they might think on drafting one and giving Jack one more year as a mentor.

banzai

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Jack is struggling badly. He has started some games well but even those games becomes a liability late (Adelaide aside)

But we dont have a replacement. CJ is more a Lynch type, then there is the reality that he probably wont be at the club next year anyway according to rumors. That pretty much just leaves Chol (who also might leave) and what else?? Any forward we draft aint playing 22 games next year and we will also need backups. We had been playing Garthwaite at full forward in the VFL ffs.

If Jack retires, CJ and Chol leave, what happens if Lynch goes down in preseason? Samson one out in the forward line all year?

* me some of you campaigners need to stop posting after drinking and/or at least 24 hours after a game.

Some of the dumbest s**t I've seen in ages being posted right now.

tigerfan1961

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa, SF 49ers
List management is a forward thinking prediction. Jack is already on the decline and the signs have been there for a while, what does his form look like with +1 years?

Granted given he's a KPF, it may depend on what our plans are to replace him and they might think on drafting one and giving Jack one more year as a mentor.
Said it before and I’ll say it again, trust in Blair people. Been to a number of presentations from him and believe me, he’s planning what the side is going to look like for out to 5 years.
If our older premiership heroes play on, it’ll be because that what Blair and Dimma think is required. They’ll be replaced at the right time.
Just have faith folks, they’ve managed the list pretty well for the last 5-10 years.

Sol23

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
They should all go. Cotchin
raking in 700 grand still makes me sick. I'd like to think he'll be honourable and realise he's cooked but doubt it. I guess when your Mrs 2 previous businesses failed spectacularly you need to subsidise the 3rd. Boxing gyms in covid times when most gyms are failing why not start up that. We're stuck with Cotchin and Riewoldt unfortunately
So true

Sol23

Premiership Player
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
You don’t want them to be pushed but if they won’t make the right decision themselves what other option does the club have.
they’re earning big money and won’t give it up with they don’t have to.
I believe houli will retire.
Cotchin doubtful but is cooked and should.
Jack I’m not sure on.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Said it before and I’ll say it again, trust in Blair people. Been to a number of presentations from him and believe me, he’s planning what the side is going to look like for out to 5 years.
If our older premiership heroes play on, it’ll be because that what Blair and Dimma think is required. They’ll be replaced at the right time.
Just have faith folks, they’ve managed the list pretty well for the last 5-10 years.
I understand respect that, but what they can't always foresee is form and decline. Would he have predicted some of our older players to drop off like this or some youngsters not to come on?

Sometimes original plans need adjusted because things don't go as expected.

Apr 12, 2015
Nathalia Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
Cotchin has to stay if the soft cap remains the way it is. He is like an extra coach and its a shame the younger depth isnt their to influence the game
We just haven't got the 30 to 50 games youngsters to do that. Can't ask under 10 game players to lift you :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 12, 2015
Nathalia Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
Unpopular opinion, but I think they have earned the right to to decide when they will retire.
It's good in hindsight but the saying is the club is bigger than the individual. Geelong hasn't dropped off due to the screwed recruiting but hasn't won anything either. Sometimes is best to drop off a year or 2 and come back stronger with the young ones more experienced and decent recruiting. Look at the Dogs one good year then they dropped off only for 3 years now they are back. They took hard decisions eg Stringer Delhaus so on.

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Or we could be like St Kilda or Freo.and keep our aging guns and drop right off a cliff for a decade...

The sooner we replace the aging players, the better off we will be in the long run.
Yep, thats WORST case. So worst case is we keep some club legends on 1 year too long? And take 1 year longer to start a refresh/rebuild? If they think they're still up to it, then I have 0 issue with any of them going around again.

- Older guns will get their longest pre-season in half a decade for a much needed physical and mental refresh.
Their season finished October 25th last year. If we don't make finals it will finish on about 23rd of August. Thats 2 extra months off. We've had the last 4 seasons going into the last 2 weeks of the season, those shorter pre-seasons stack up on older bodies.
And then on top hubbing for 120 days this year? And then having to go back in shortly this year and worrying it will happen again? Thats mentally draining.

- Coaches have an off season to tweak our game plan to suite the new rules better. We've partly fallen apart due to this rule changes but also not having the intensity and stamina to execute it. Some tweaks, list changes and refreshed list should be able to bring it back to its best.

- We have a really strong draft hand. We can take some talented kids with picks and also use some picks to get in some young players that are ready to go now. Just like 2016 off-season, bringing in a few best 22 players would really freshen the list and make our depth look so much better.

- The kids. We've had to expose a lot of players this year because of our injuries, but in the long run this always pays off. Every time this happens we find a couple of best 22 players. We had Mansell, RCD, Stack, Chol. Naish, Dow and Garthwaite all playing on the weekend. We had 9 players playing with less than 50 games.. We had less averages games than the team Carlton and Hawthorn ran out with this weekend.

- Easier draw. We will either be middle pack or if we really go for, bottom pack. If we can get back to our best, thats turns a 50/50 games against top teams to wins you can just pencil in.

Theres enough there to run it again. Like this is a once in a lifetime team. We will most likely never see a Richmond dynasty team again in our lives which just makes it so bizarre that literally 3 weeks of BAD footy after a sketchy first half of the year and so many are ready to just call it and push the champs out the door. And for what? So we can start a rebuild a year earlier? 1 wasted year is all thats on the line. Thats it. We had 37 wasted years before 2017 and you can't do 1 more for a team that gave you 3 flags?

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
We just haven't got the 30 to 50 games youngsters to do that. Can't ask under 10 game players to lift you :(
Yep.

-Picket - 35 games - I would argue Picket does actually do a bit tro lift us with some of his efforts.
-Aarts - 30 games - Can't really expect small forwards to lift your team
-Chol- 27 games - Should be doing more. Doesn't look like he has that killer instninct
-Stack- 27 games - First game back in a while.
-Garthwaite - 10 games
-Naish - 9 games
-RCD - 9 games
-Mansell - 8 games
-Dow - 4 games

And the rest under 10 games.

Our 50-100 game players do lift us regularly.

Nank (How has he only played 93 games!), Broad, Graham, Bolton and Baker.

Oct 3, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond

Of course hes on the decline. Hes about to turn 33. All that matters is if he can still contribute.
AFL wide hes 4th for inside 50 marks, 6th for goals and 14th for goal assists.

Theres some overreactions after a poor few weeks (which our entire team has been poor). Hes only gone goalless once this year, had 2x5 goal and 2x4 goal games, 9/16 with multiple goals.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond

Or we could use our draft hand wisely and see our legends off in a way that they deserve. :rolleyes:

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
It's good in hindsight but the saying is the club is bigger than the individual. Geelong hasn't dropped off due to the screwed recruiting but hasn't won anything either. Sometimes is best to drop off a year or 2 and come back stronger with the young ones more experienced and decent recruiting. Look at the Dogs one good year then they dropped off only for 3 years now they are back. They took hard decisions eg Stringer Delhaus so on.
We made a hard decision with Lids and we got 3 flags out of it.
Dogs so far Zilch.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep, thats WORST case. So worst case is we keep some club legends on 1 year too long? And take 1 year longer to start a refresh/rebuild? If they think they're still up to it, then I have 0 issue with any of them going around again.

- Older guns will get their longest pre-season in half a decade for a much needed physical and mental refresh.
Their season finished October 25th last year. If we don't make finals it will finish on about 23rd of August. Thats 2 extra months off. We've had the last 4 seasons going into the last 2 weeks of the season, those shorter pre-seasons stack up on older bodies.
And then on top hubbing for 120 days this year? And then having to go back in shortly this year and worrying it will happen again? Thats mentally draining.

- Coaches have an off season to tweak our game plan to suite the new rules better. We've partly fallen apart due to this rule changes but also not having the intensity and stamina to execute it. Some tweaks, list changes and refreshed list should be able to bring it back to its best.

- We have a really strong draft hand. We can take some talented kids with picks and also use some picks to get in some young players that are ready to go now. Just like 2016 off-season, bringing in a few best 22 players would really freshen the list and make our depth look so much better.

- The kids. We've had to expose a lot of players this year because of our injuries, but in the long run this always pays off. Every time this happens we find a couple of best 22 players. We had Mansell, RCD, Stack, Chol. Naish, Dow and Garthwaite all playing on the weekend. We had 9 players playing with less than 50 games.. We had less averages games than the team Carlton and Hawthorn ran out with this weekend.

- Easier draw. We will either be middle pack or if we really go for, bottom pack. If we can get back to our best, thats turns a 50/50 games against top teams to wins you can just pencil in.

Theres enough there to run it again. Like this is a once in a lifetime team. We will most likely never see a Richmond dynasty team again in our lives which just makes it so bizarre that literally 3 weeks of BAD footy after a sketchy first half of the year and so many are ready to just call it and push the champs out the door. And for what? So we can start a rebuild a year earlier? 1 wasted year is all thats on the line. Thats it. We had 37 wasted years before 2017 and you can't do 1 more for a team that gave you 3 flags?
Great Post Sir.

It's a bit of they aren't fully AFL ready any more, versus they are leaders with invaluable experience for our younger guys.

I would keep JR and Cotch if they were playing for low $ and explicitly were developing the kids. Losing your leaders can kill a team very quickly. Take a transition of about 2 years sounds good to me.

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
Has anyone actually considered that while Jack has been down since Lynch's return Tom's return has gone significantly up (8 in two games).
For some perspective, pre layoff Tom had kicked 8 in his last 5 games.

It's not that probable that either of them will kick bags of 3 or 4 goals each a game especially with the way we are currently playing.

CCJ, Lynch & Jack in 2022 will be great and gives us solid insurance if any of them go down and that's very likely when you see Tom's historical record.
If we only have CCJ & Lynch i'd be extremely nervous if Lynch couldn't get through a complete season. Far too much weight on CCJ's shoulders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back