Preview Face-Off -Adelaide v West Coast (with interview)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Sunday 4.10 PM
Adelaide Oval

1626090959058.png

Preview

Adelaide lost to an Essendon team that had better players, coaches and selections. West Coast lost to North. And they played Monday to our Friday. And they hate playing away

AWAY Record

TeamGamesKicksHandballsDisposalsMarksTacklesGoalsBehindsHitouts.FFFA
West Coast Eagles7209.4118.3327.795.050.410.69.543.316.418.0
Opponent7234.1166.6400.7109.359.614.112.623.918.016.4
Team/Opp. Diff.7-24.7-48.3-73.0-14.3-9.1-3.6-3.119.4-1.61.6

1626092098645.png
tenor.gif

Last Time They Met

Round 9, 16 May 2021Optus StadiumWest Coast defeats Adelaide106-76R. Laird 36J. Darling 5
Round 6, 11 Jul 2020GabbaWest Coast defeats Adelaide67-34B. Smith 31J. Darling 2
Round 21, 11 Aug 2019Optus StadiumWest Coast defeats Adelaide90-80M. Crouch 43D. Fogarty 5
Round 10, 25 May 2019Adelaide OvalAdelaide defeated by West Coast73-85B. Crouch 39-
Round 15, 30 Jun 2018Adelaide OvalAdelaide defeats West Coast88-78A. Gaff 37T. Walker 3

I think West Coast have had it easy against us.

And given Adelaide have only won 21 times out of 50 games played over the journey its fair to suggest we struggle against the King of the Big Birds.

But you know what - this might be that one time

Changes

Very early but we can say for certain Doedee is out and Walker back in. Not sure Brown gets up and either Frampton or Himmelberg get dropped. I think Berg might get a chance and Billy out.

James Rowe might want to avoid any phone calls from Nicks over the next few days

Ins might be from Lynch , Gollant or Cook.

With West Coasts loss tonight there may be some repercussions for some and some resting for others. Given the short nature of the Eagles week they may concede this one at selection.

In an eerie coincidence I asked a WC supporter for some thoughts. Given the good feedback I got from the interview with The Filth Wizard I decided to do another one . Given North beat WC I am sure Filthy is smiling from ear to ear

MrKK is someone I have got to know from the poker board and found out he plays around the traps I inhabit. But he is also a foreign Eagles supporter. But I dither

What was your first memory of a West Coast game?
My first Eagles memory was everyone in our street gathered at someone's house for the 1992 GF but I wasn't into footy then. I'd grown up in NSW as a Rugby League fan and it took me a couple of years to get into it when we moved to Perth. The game that hooked me was the epic SA vs Vic SOO game at Footy Park in 1994, one of the best games of all time.

It was a number of years before I went to my first game as tickets were hard to come by and my parents weren't interested. I know we lost to Port at Subiaco but can't remember anything else about it. I'd been to a lot of Freo games before my first Eagles game as tickets were easy to get and my mates supported them.

Why and how did you come to support the Eagles ie did you move to WA etc
Once I got into footy there was only one team in Perth at the time so the Eagles were it. I've only lived in Adelaide about 10 years.

What games v Adelaide stand out

The good

Much more good than bad as it definitely feels like we've had the wood over the Crows for the majority of our histories. The 2006 PF is one of the best performances we've ever produced but I was living overseas at the time and only caught it on replay so it doesn't resonate with me as much as it should.

Plenty of recent good ones and I've been at all of these:
2013 - kick 3 in the last 3 minutes to win
2014 - spotted the Crows the first 5 goals and still won big, first signs of the game plan that got us to the 2015 GF.
2016 - Rd 23 win at AO to cost the Crows top-4 (let's not talk about the next game)
2019 - another comeback win at AO

Living in Adelaide recently has been an absolute blessing as an Eagles fan of late when you add on all of the hurt we've put on Port to the wins above.

The bad
I can't remember any really bad ones. 2018 we lost to a big Crows fourth quarter comeback, but we won the flag so it's forgotten about.

In your time supporting WC who is your favourite player?
Ben Cousins will always be my favourite. We're the same age and he was a rising star at the same time as I was getting seriously into the Eagles. Hope he sorts himself out so his legacy will be for the right reasons.

I don't have a current favourite since Lewis Jetta's departure at the end of last year.

West Coast have won twice as many flags as Adelaide - from the outside it looks like WC are a well run club with each move made with a definite purpose in mind. From coaching to drafting WC look like they have made the right moves at the right time

Is that also the perception from fans or is it different?

Depends which fans you ask lol!
I'm in the camp of thinking the club does most things very well and as an organisation has totally turned around from the scandals of 15 years ago. The new club facilities at Lathlain are great and debt-free while things like returning the wings jumpers made the club feel closer to the fans. If they could just ditch the abomination that is our current song...

Drafting and player development is a strange mix. We've had a solid spine for as long as I can remember with a lot of great talls from late draft picks, but our development of midfielders is a growing problem with not much coming through to get excited about. There's something going awry there but hard to put your finger on it from outside the club.

On the coaching front I'm getting restless with Adam Simpson - our performances since 2018 have gotten progressively worse and we're not getting the most out of a hugely-talented list right now. Might need an edit after tonight's shitshow lol. Just to say that Simpson is on very thin ice - we have no idea how to play when the conditions, ground or opponent don't suit us and our game plan has been completely worked out.

What period stands out for you ? 90-94 or 05/06 (dont say 05/06 dont say 05/06)
How about neither? 90-94 I only got on board for the end and 05-06 I was out of the loop living overseas. The last 10 years I've been my most invested in the Eagles and 2018 was the culmination of that.

Both Adelaide and WC have 'little brothers' ie teams that came along after - what feelings do you have for Freo or do you have to live in WA to get that feeling?
Outside of the derbies, they're just another team to beat. We are a huge club that should be aiming for flags rather than focusing on our local rivals. It's hard to get worked up over a club that has been a metaphor for failure for most of their existence.

The WA rivalry doesn't reach the heights of the pure hate that I sometimes witness between the SA clubs, probably because there isn't the history of bad blood surrounding the teams' entries into the AFL.

What margin do you predict for the game and will you go to the match?
Like you, I'm secretly hoping to be running deep in the APL Main Event on Sunday and unable to attend the match! But barring that I'll be there for sure.

Both teams are running rough at the moment but for now we have a talent and experience gap over the Crows that will count in the end. We'll make hard work of it though and will do nothing to repair our shocking percentage. Eagles by 20.

What changes would you expect or is it time to throw every magnet in the air?

Simpson is frustratingly reluctant to drop his favourite senior players but our best efforts the last 2 years have been when we've played youth through necessity.

If he's serious:
Harry Edwards for McGovern
Bailey Williams for Darling (Allen to play forward)
Luke Edwards and Foley for Sheed and Gaff, Duggan moved into midfield.

But it will probably be some rubbish like Edwards and Waterman for Ah Chee and Langdon that makes stuff all difference.

Thank you MrKK and if anyone has some follow up questions I am sure he may attempt to answer them

Last edited:
After being second in my tipping comp this year, i scored 2 on the weekend so * knows what this game will do.

great write up though! Interesting format with the interview, great work

I will be disappointed if we don't win this game

WCE coming of a 6 day break, in a slog fest and in poor form, and have to travel.

Our form in not great but playing home and a 9 day break is a big advantage

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon you blokes are going full tank, Jason Horne is a chance now that North beat us last night. There is nothing to gain beating our sad and sordid team. We will win by a few goals in a horrid nothing game that no one will ever watch again. Eagles by 26.

there’s no doubt that footy will be the winner.

I reckon you blokes are going full tank, Jason Horne is a chance now that North beat us last night. There is nothing to gain beating our sad and sordid team. We will win by a few goals in a horrid nothing game that no one will ever watch again. Eagles by 26.

we don’t tank, we select to win the 4 points each and every week. It’s a philosophical imperative that transcends coaching changes. We’re not tanking, we’re just a crap 22 with a poor senior coach that continues to value injured experienced players that give us nothing. And again, that’s a club culture that transcends coaching changes.

we don’t tank, we select to win the 4 points each and every week. It’s a philosophical imperative that transcends coaching changes. We’re not tanking, we’re just a crap 22 with a poor senior coach that continues to value injured experienced players that give us nothing. And again, that’s a club culture that transcends coaching changes.
Sounds just like us at the moment!

Sounds just like us at the moment!

Historically we've accepted this as we've tended to be around the 8. So the focus on winning at the expense developing the next contending group has mostly been understandble. No such reason now and yet we continue to select as if the 4 points on offer is the only thing that matters. We're playing a young side, but not by choice. Every choice we make prioritises old guys ahead of developing kids. You guys are at least around the mark, despite some god awful performances.

Picking Frampton over Fog was picking a team to win?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Historically we've accepted this as we've tended to be around
the 8. So the focus on winning at the expense developing the next contending group has mostly been understandble. No such reason now and yet we continue to select as if the 4 points on offer is the only thing that matters. We're playing a young side, but not by choice. Every choice we make prioritises old guys ahead of developing kids. You guys are at least around the mark, despite some god awful performances.
We're not really around the mark though.
2018 Premiers
2019 lost SF
2020 lost home EF
2021 away EF at best

There is a clear downward trend there and our coach doesn't seem to have an answer other than backing in more of the same things that have led us to this point.

Our best wins in the last 12 months have been where we had to select some hungry young players through necessity - 2020 St Kilda, 2021 Carlton and Richmond. Then as soon as the senior players are fit they're straight back in and we revert to laziness.

We're not really around the mark though.
2018 Premiers
2019 lost SF
2020 lost home EF
2021 away EF at best

There is a clear downward trend there and our coach doesn't seem to have an answer other than backing in more of the same things that have led us to this point.

Our best wins in the last 12 months have been where we had to select some hungry young players through necessity - 2020 St Kilda, 2021 Carlton and Richmond. Then as soon as the senior players are fit they're straight back in and we revert to laziness.

that's more around the mark than us. But gee, there's some commonality. But I wouldn't say our seniors are lazy, they're just average. Tex's year a stark exception.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picking Frampton over Fog was picking a team to win?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I took Nicks' pre-game presser to say that they were giving Davis the "last chance" to play for his spot.

Have to say I am wondering if Frampton is in the same boat, and I wonder if we see some other selections that don't sorta make sense by themselves, for the same reason.

I took Nicks' pre-game presser to say that they were giving Davis the "last chance" to play for his spot.

Have to say I am wondering if Frampton is in the same boat, and I wonder if we see some other selections that don't sorta make sense by themselves, for the same reason.
Framptons contracted for another year..

Davis is out the door at years end unless he pulls a rabbit out of his hat..

So... it bit really a “same boat” situation..

I can't see us winning this, we have a habit of playing out of form teams back into form, ala Collingwood earlier this season.

Plus, you'd think the Eagles would be desperate to save their quickly sinking finals aspirations. Reckon they'll be up and about.

Framptons contracted for another year..

Davis is out the door at years end unless he pulls a rabbit out of his hat..

So... it bit really a “same boat” situation..
They can delist people on contract, I think, you just have to have the salary cap to do so.

You'd expect that salary cap is not a huge issue for us.

Doubtful. The only selections that don't make sense are senior players playing injured and Mackay. Everything else can be explained based on maximising game day performance. Frampton is playing because Fog got dropped for not getting enough ball and Billy was the most dominant KPF in the SANFL. His form is fully exposed, nobody needs to see any more of him to know whether he's worth trading for or paying out and delisting.

But he did say that about Davis, it just doesn't apply to any other selection decision they've made.

Outside of the derbies, they're just another team to beat. We are a huge club that should be aiming for flags rather than focusing on our local rivals. It's hard to get worked up over a club that has been a metaphor for failure for most of their existence.

Love how diplomatic that started before ending in the most chemical of burns. Classic.

Back