Status
Not open for further replies.

hardway

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Northern suburb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't want Clarko to have a spoon on his resume, especially since it would be our first since the 60's.

Though Horne looks really special, he moves and plays like GAJ from what I've seen.

It's a head v heart battle.
Like our management repeatedly states, you need to take the emotion out of what’s the best decision for the club!

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Like our management repeatedly states, you need to take the emotion out of what’s best for the club!

Yeah I know mate. My posting history over the last few year would suggest I'm all about taking the emotion out. I'd just prefer if we could find another way (trade pick 2 + player/picks to move up - however unlikely).

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm so torn on this.

Tanking is never the way - just look at Carlton, and up until recently Melbourne.

But Horne is almost exactly what we need and could be a generational talent. And from what I've seen of us this year we don't look to be deliberately throwing games.

I don't think we're going to deliberately throw games. But we were already a team with poor depth and many of our important players are injured.

As long as hoping for the highest draft pick doesn't become a regular occurrence having a down year or two on the way to being competitive isn't a bad thing. The important thing is that year or two doesn't become four or five.

JR33

Senior List
Apr 7, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm so torn on this.

Tanking is never the way - just look at Carlton, and up until recently Melbourne.

But Horne is almost exactly what we need and could be a generational talent. And from what I've seen of us this year we don't look to be deliberately throwing games.
Tanking? Let’s just accept that we are not good enough this year and are not consistent, simple.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Will finishing last tarnish Alastair Clarkson legacy? He will be a coach that brought us the wodden spoon that no Hawthorn coach has done since 1953. So the only coach in 68 year to do so.

It will undoubtedly tarnish it IMO. At least all the opposition fans will use it against him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So Clarko will coach a side from a spoon to finals in his last 12 months. Sounds like a successful succession plan and solid send off. ;)

(Dependant on natural improvement from our list plus the return/full seasons for Sicily, Impey, CJ, Day, Wingard et al)

Last edited:

Kuuz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory TSM
If we're rebuilding, I'd rather us be closer to the bottom of the ladder than the no man's land that is 12th to 9th.

We're in the right spot to bring in good talent, which we need across the park. Hopefully a few bottom 4 finishes to top up + allow for development before another surge upwards.

I couldn't care less if we get the "spoon" or not. I think the thing that really matters is what came before it. For our club, it was preceded by a glorious period of 4 premierships. Contrast that with fellow bottom dwellers in North, Collingwood, Gold Coast, Adelaide...and well the cupboard is far more bare.

We made the most of our time up top, and now we need to restock and rebuild. The more "efficient" we are at obtaining talent, the faster our rise will be (hopefully). We can't all be like Sydney with multiple academy players, the Doggies with multiple F/S or Bombers who exploited their own jabbing screw up to get high picks. But what we do have is an extremely good culture, excellent development program including scouting and a soon-to-be world class training facility, and that should see us in good stead.

Anyway, main thing I hope rather than the finish, is we secure one or two more picks in the first round. We need to bring in a haul of youth over the next couple years, so they develop together, and we have plenty of holes to fill. Horne would be amazing but Callaghan would be so handy for our game style and our lack of outside polish.

hardway

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2003
Northern suburb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah I know mate. My posting history over the last few year would suggest I'm all about taking the emotion out. I'd just prefer if we could find another way (trade pick 2 + player/picks to move up - however unlikely).
It’s more than pick 1 in the ND that is at play. Imagine the sell to players like Cerra and to a lesser extent Kelly, come to the hawks we are about build another dynasty. Come join Day, DBG and Horne on the journey.

It’s more than pick 1 in the ND that is at play. Imagine the sell to players like Cerra and to a lesser extent Kelly, come to the hawks we are about build another dynasty. Come join Day, DBG and Horne on the journey.

There’s also having pick one in the PSD.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets

I completely understand. Spooning is the best result for the club in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back