Cricket at Metricon stadium

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Early start this time - 5:10pm. Hopefully there's a good turnout but you never know with a Tuesday night fixture.

I'm sure Daniel Hughes will be fired up to hit another big score. He's 2 runs shy of 100 total runs at Carrara so I'm sure he'll want to at least hit that tonight.
Yeah it's interesting, Early start time was a factor in my coming down from North Brissie (Night off work helps)

Looks like they've only sold one section of the stadium - from the scoreboard around the members bar side onwards.

Not a bad turnout for a game between a NSW and VIC side if I'm honest

Hopefully the Gades put up a score that Hughes gets a chance to have a crack at.

Attachments

• 16092300173487902753527847403230.jpg
    16092300173487902753527847403230.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 142

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Unbelievable! The Sixers chase down a lead and win the game with a boundary on the second last ball again. The exact same situation as Saturday night.

Obviously the Sixers play the Metricon ground really well! Big Red Machine would be ecstatic.

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Unbelievable! The Sixers chase down a lead and win the game with a boundary on the second last ball again. The exact same situation as Saturday night.

Obviously the Sixers play the Metricon ground really well! Big Red Machine would be ecstatic.
Very much so! (Not as much as I am to get into bed after getting home at midnight but a close second)

Actually thought we'd bottled it until Sutherland bottled it even harder to give us the dub.

The Victory Ice Cream (Not to be confused it Bods' victory scotch) was most certainly sweet tonight.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd

[TD valign="top"]19-22 January 1991[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]First Class 4 Dayer[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Queensland Bulls vs England XI[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]England won by 10 wickets[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Unavailable[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]1st January 1992[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]D/N[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]First Class One Dayer[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Queensland Bulls vs West Indies[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]West Indies won by 7 wickets[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]-[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]17th November 2018[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"]T20 International[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Australia vs South Africa[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]South Africa won by 21 runs[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]12,866[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]FOX[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]22nd December 2018[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]6:00pm[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Big Bash League[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Brisbane Heat vs Hobart Hurricanes[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Hurricanes win by 15 runs[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]12,791[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]1st January 2019[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]1:45pm[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Brisbane Heat vs Sydney Sixers[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Sixers win by 5 wickets[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]17,106[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Seven[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]5th January 2020[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]5:15pm[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Thunder[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Stars win by 8 wickets[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]8,156[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]31st October 2019[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]10:00am[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Domestic One Day Cup[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Queensland Bulls vs Western Australia[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Queensland win by 26 runs[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]20th December 2019[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]7:10pm[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Brisbane Heat vs Melbourne Stars[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Stars win by 22 runs[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]11,969[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]27th December 2019[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Melbourne Stars vs Adelaide Strikers[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Strikers win by 5 runs[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]7,421[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]1st January 2020[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Brisbane Heat vs Perth Scorchers[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Scorchers win by 40 runs[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]20,135[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]2nd February 2020[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]9:30am[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Cricket Australia XI vs England Lions[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]England win by 6 wickets[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CA[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]4th February 2020[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]England win by 4 wickets[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CA[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]6th February 2020[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Match Abandoned[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]CA[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]26th December 2020[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]8:20pm[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Melbourne Stars vs Sydney Sixers[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Sixers win by 1 wicket[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]TBA[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]29th December 2020[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]5:10pm[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Melbourne Renegades vs Sydney Sixers[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Sixers win by 2 wickets[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]TBA[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]1st January 2021[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]7:15pm[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Melbourne Renegades vs Sydney Thunder[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]3rd January 2021[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Adelaide Strikers vs Sydney Sixers[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]7th January 2021[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]9:20pm[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Brisbane Heat vs Melbourne Stars[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"]10th January 2021[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]Sydney Sixers vs Brisbane Heat[/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

Zac_Barker

Senior List
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
They should just bring the Gold Coast District Club into the BBL and rebrand them to the Gold Coast Dolphins, the colours would be Ocean Blue and Sunny bright Yellow and maybe some white

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Four games down. Two games to go.

The last two games to be played at Metricon this year both involve the Brisbane Heat and they are facing the Melbourne Stars as well as the Sydney Sixers. It comes at a crucial time in the season for Brisbane because they've put themselves in a position to push for a finals spot now that they are only one point outside the top 5. I'd like to see the three GC boys in Max Bryant, Xavier Bartlett and Matt Kuhnemann lead the charge for the Heat into the top 5. If I'm not mistaken, the Heat have never won a game at Metricon so I'm sure they'll be looking to snap that losing streak on Thursday night.

They should just bring the Gold Coast District Club into the BBL and rebrand them to the Gold Coast Dolphins, the colours would be Ocean Blue and Sunny bright Yellow and maybe some white
Sounds like a great idea. They used to be based at Carrara back in the Bears days so there is a bit of history there for them.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just watching Sydney Thunder playing at Optus. Do WA government now allow fly in/out despite borders closed for NSW, Victoria, QLD at the moment? Quite important since AFLW season starts in 3 weeks and SUNS are scheduled to play in Perth too.

Just watching Sydney Thunder playing at Optus. Do WA government now allow fly in/out despite borders closed for NSW, Victoria, QLD at the moment? Quite important since AFLW season starts in 3 weeks and SUNS are scheduled to play in Perth too.
I think atm its different with tge cricket as they are in cricket hubs wherever they go. Hard to say whats gonna happen with the aflw. Hopefully either borders come down or there is some exception.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think atm its different with tge cricket as they are in cricket hubs wherever they go. Hard to say whats gonna happen with the aflw. Hopefully either borders come down or there is some exception.
During AFL season clubs were also in the hubs and still had to do 14 days quarantine upon arrival before playing a Perth team. It will be interesting to see what will happen with AFLW schedule, arrangements. At present, GWS girls relocated and are training in Albury.

Lions had to cancel a couple of sessions due to lock down.

During AFL season clubs were also in the hubs and still had to do 14 days quarantine upon arrival before playing a Perth team. It will be interesting to see what will happen with AFLW schedule, arrangements. At present, GWS girls relocated and are training in Albury.

Lions had to cancel a couple of sessions due to lock down.
They did relocate, with the hope they can then move into vic, as they are meant to have a practice game v vcarlton before round 1. Its looking like the cluster in NSW is looking like pretty much handled. The one in Vic is more or less extinguished now. Hopefully this lockdown in Brisbane works and there is no cases that come from it, then maybe borders can start to come down. But with the WA premier, he is so stubborn.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
But with the WA premier, he is so stubborn.
Yeah, that's why I am surprised that he allowed the cricket to avoid the quarantine. It looks like the cricket managed to get NRL type of exemption for all states including WA.

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
You know what?

I think I've seen more clutch wins from the Sixers in the last two weeks at Metricon than I have from the Suns in 10 years...

And that pains me to say on so many levels.

But how good is Dan Christian!? Sixers just have a way of getting performance out of "over the hill" talent (McGill, Lee, Haddin, Christian ect.)

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I was trying to look into what the suns stadium deal is but couldn't find anything recent on it. Do they get a slice of the financial pie for these BBL games played at metricon?

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I was trying to look into what the suns stadium deal is but couldn't find anything recent on it. Do they get a slice of the financial pie for these BBL games played at metricon?

I'm pretty sure this is the current situation.....

The AFL leases Metricon Stadium, with day to day management responsibility and operation controlled by the Gold Coast Suns. ... Under the lease, the Gold Coast Suns retain all revenues from all events and activities at the stadium.Apr 15, 2018

Last edited:

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm pretty sure this is the current situation.....

The AFL leases Metricon Stadium, with day to day management responsibility and operation controlled by the Gold Coast Suns. ... Under the lease, the Gold Coast Suns retain all revenues from all events and activities at the stadium.Apr 15, 2018

That sounds pretty good then, i did read something where Cochrane was complaining in 2018 about the deal. Suprising if you guys get the profits from every event held there, seems like a great deal although maybe the leasing costs were too high or something.

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Well done 6ers!!!!
And bring in the GC.
Yes, the boys Boddsy! Always great to knock off the old enemy from over west too!

Hopefully, we get the Gold Coast Guards in the first wave of expansion but you never know with these things. Hopefully, we've put enough of a foot forward this season to entice a franchise coming here.

That said though the longer it draws out the longer I don't have to pick between my team from home and my new home (We don't count Brisbane, sssh)

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yes, the boys Boddsy! Always great to knock off the old enemy from over west too!

Hopefully, we get the Gold Coast Guards in the first wave of expansion but you never know with these things. Hopefully, we've put enough of a foot forward this season to entice a franchise coming here.

That said though the longer it draws out the longer I don't have to pick between my team from home and my new home (We don't count Brisbane, sssh)

I wonder if Brisbane's deep finals run this year has furthered the case for a Gold Coast team? If the depth in Queensland looks solid then they'll have a much easier time convincing Cricket Australia that a second QLD franchise on the Gold Coast is the way to go. We have a suitable venue, we have a decent population, we have some exciting prospects coming through like Bartlett/Bryant and we've proven we can pull a big crowd to BBL fixtures. It's really just whether the cricket depth in Queensland is deep enough to allow for two competitive BBL teams.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
WBBL fixture coming out today. Brisbane Heat to play games at Metricon due to the redevelopment at ABF. Will post once it’s published!

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
4 WBBL games to be held at Metricon Stadium (2 double headers)
Saturday 30th October
Thunder v Stars
Heat v Hurricanes
Sunday 31st October
Thunder v Hurricanes
Heat v Stars

Back