Preview Face-Off -Adelaide v West Coast (with interview)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Brown going for surgery means an opportunity for someone

Do we bring in Worrell or get Jones to play deeper?

McPherson would be more likely than Worrell.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Blighty is bang on and so is Jake Kelly!

WaynesWorld19

Where’s the dare? Blight slams Crows ‘chipathon’
- Simeon Thomas-Wilson

Adelaide’s dual premiership winning coach Malcolm Blight says the Crows need to get their dare back and not be so consumed by worrying about turnovers after their toothless loss to Essendon.

In the Friday night prime time slot the Crows put a performance coach Matthew Nicks said “embarrassed” Adelaide and apologised to fans following the 63-point drubbing.

The tone for the loss, in which the Crows kicked the lowest score in club history, was set in the opening minutes of the match by Adelaide slowly kicking the ball around its backline and refusing to move the ball forward with any fluency.

The Crows just had 12 inside-50s in the first half, 19 fewer than the Bombers.

Blight, the coach of Adelaide’s two premiership triumphs in 1997 and 1998, told The Advertiser the Crows had no “dare” in the opening stages of the match.

“There are always reasons for that, such as the age of the group, but when you start a game off I’ve always been a believer of you go out and test the opposition,” he said.

Adelaide defender Jake Kelly said over the weekend the Crows’ laborious ball movement came as a result of them trying to address the high scores being kicked off the team’s turnovers.
Blight said the Crows needed to not worry about turnovers.

“You don’t get better at it by not doing it,” he said.

“How do you get better when you are not doing it under pressure and when it’s required.”
Walker is expected to return for this week’s game against West Coast at Adelaide Oval.

But Kelly said the way the Crows struggled without Walker reinforced the likes of Billy Frampton, Elliott Himmelberg and Darcy Fogarty needed to step up to the plate.
“One of them does need to stand up,” he said.

“We know Riley Thilthorpe is going to be a fantastic player but one of those guys really need to own it and become that second key forward.”

Last edited:

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
But Kelly said the way the Crows struggled without Walker reinforced the likes of Billy Frampton, Elliott Himmelberg and Darcy Fogarty needed to step up to the plate.
“One of them does need to stand up,” he said.

“We know Riley Thilthorpe is going to be a fantastic player but one of those guys really need to own it and become that second key forward.”

Wow pretty rare for a player to tell his teammates it’s time to PULL YOUR FN FINGER OUT!!!

Good for him, well beyond time someone did what he’s suggesting

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Wow pretty rare for a player to tell his teammates it’s time to PULL YOUR FN FINGER OUT!!!

Good for him, well beyond time someone did what he’s suggesting
I wonder if his team mates could have any tips sent back Jake's way?

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Got a feeling we’re going to see Newchurch this week.

Something’s gotta give in the forward line in relation to speed and defensive pressure. That something might be Rowey

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide

Tomorrow’s headline

CROWS IN TURMOIL AS PLAYERS TURN AGAINST EACH OTHER

SENIOR PLAYER DAVID “MAD DOG” MACKAY SAYS “EVERYONE NEEDS TO PULL THEIR WEIGHT AND CONTRIBUTE ON THE FIELD WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT, NOT JUST ONCE A YEAR”

FORMER CROW BRAD CROUCH SAYS “OH WHEN THE SAINTS…COME MARCHING IN…”

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Jake might not be the most gifted player but he gives 100% effort every time he steps on the playing field and works his arse off at every contest, not sure the same 3 players he mentioned can say the same.
I'd go so far as to say if those 3 players worked as hard at their game with the given talents they have our forward line minus Tex wouldn't be the impotent mess it is today.

TryAnHit

Club Legend
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
It was def a coaching plan to play that slow vs ess. I reckon he was testing it out to see if we can play that style... clearly we can not

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Jake might not be the most gifted player but he gives 100% effort every time he steps on the playing field and works his arse off at every contest, not sure the same 3 players he mentioned can say the same.
I'd go so far as to say if those 3 players worked as hard at their game with the given talents they have our forward line minus Tex wouldn't be the impotent mess it is today.
I'd say that Jake getting the ball makes it harder for every player on the field

Any chain involving Kelly is slow, wide and allows numbers to flood back. C'mon forwards!

He's a disciplined, tough defender which has some value no doubt but his player type limits the team's output

Truck25

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
It was def a coaching plan to play that slow vs ess. I reckon he was testing it out to see if we can play that style... clearly we can not
I agree, but we can play it, what we can't do is change mid game. We need to run and gun, then slow it down, then run it again. Unfortunately we are one speed per game.

To be fair in a rebuild year is the time to try different game plans

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I wonder if he'll stay in? Was ok first up, struggled to get into it last week

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd say that Jake getting the ball makes it harder for every player on the field

Any chain involving Kelly is slow, wide and allows numbers to flood back. C'mon forwards!

He's a disciplined, tough defender which has some value no doubt but his player type limits the team's output
And yet at the beginning of the season he was taking the game on. It was such a relief to see, but now he's reverted to going back, looking sideways and backwards, lighting up a BBQ, inviting a few guys over for a quick beer, then kicking long down the line to a losing contest.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
And yet at the beginning of the season he was taking the game on. It was such a relief to see, but now he's reverted to going back, looking sideways and backwards, lighting up a BBQ, inviting a few guys over for a quick beer, then kicking long down the line to a losing contest.
Hearing you guys bemoan the Crows slow, sideways ball movement and watching us do the same every week, this could be the worst football spectacle for many years. First to 50 will win .

Back