News Harvey: The players don't really go in for the Collingwood/Carlton rivalry.

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors, Dallas, Liverpool
Can't remember a significant game between Carlton and Collingwood since I've followed footy from the early 2000's. Last final in 1988.

Not denying the rivalry still exists for supporters but it's dormant at best for everyone else.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
and it isn't surprising either as I doubt Carlton and Collingwood have both played in too many finals together in the last 20 years.

Also why would the players care what happened between Carlton and Collingwood 30 or 40 years ago. I don't even fully understand why the fans care. To me the "rivalry" feels super manufactured.

and it isn't surprising either as I doubt Carlton and Collingwood have both played in too many finals together in the last 20 years.

You could have simply said “Carlton haven’t played in too many finals in the last 20 years”

Big rivalry for the boomers. Most other younger people couldn’t care less. It’s pushed by people who live in the distant past.

Boomers rivalry is more Collingwood v Melbourne

Collingwood v Carlton is more a Gen X thing

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Also why would the players care what happened between Carlton and Collingwood 30 or 40 years ago. I don't even fully understand why the fans care. To me the "rivalry" feels super manufactured.
It very much has been watered down as recent generation hasn't experienced any fierce contests.

But not sure how it is manufactured?

The rivalry was created by numerous heavy weight clashes between the two clubs, including many memorable GFs.

7 Grand Finals between the clubs, 20+ finals games, 259 overall games and the HTH is Collingwood by 1 win.

It ain't as big a rivalry as it was in the 80s because Carlton has been shite for the last 20 years.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It very much has been watered down as recent generation hasn't experienced any fierce contests.

But not sure how it is manufactured?

The rivalry was created by numerous heavy weight clashes between the two clubs, including many memorable GFs.

7 Grand Finals between the clubs, 20+ finals games, 259 overall games and the HTH is Collingwood by 1 win.

It ain't as big a rivalry as it was in the 80s because Carlton has been sh*te for the last 20 years.

It is manufactured in the sense the rivalry keeps being built up each and every year despite nothing being done to sustain it in that time.

Sydney and West Coast used to have a strong rivalry, one that spread across quite a number of years but since the results got a lot less close the rivalry eventually died down and disappeared completely. It disappeared because the thing that made the rivalry a rivalry were no longer happening and the players who were all involved in the rivalry all retired.

Rasha

2017🏆 2019🏆 2020🏆
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Can't remember a significant game between Carlton and Collingwood since I've followed footy from the early 2000's. Last final in 1988.

Not denying the rivalry still exists for supporters but it's dormant at best for everyone else.

North vs Freo is a bigger rivalry for the players.
Crowley pinching Harvey 300 times.

Jun 4, 2005
Putney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
It is manufactured in the sense the rivalry keeps being built up each and every year despite nothing being done to sustain it in that time.

Sydney and West Coast used to have a strong rivalry, one that spread across quite a number of years but since the results got a lot less close the rivalry eventually died down and disappeared completely. It disappeared because the thing that made the rivalry a rivalry were no longer happening and the players who were all involved in the rivalry all retired.
You are comparing a 3-4 year period between two clubs who have no other real angst or history...ie no rivalry.

with two clubs who have gone at each other for 100+ years and had hate passed down from generations. The Collingwood v Carlton rivalry was built pre WW1....

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
You are comparing a 3-4 year period between two clubs who have no other real angst or history...ie no rivalry.

with two clubs who have gone at each other for 100+ years and had hate passed down from generations. The Collingwood v Carlton rivalry was built pre WW1....

So I am guessing you feel a strong rivalry with Germany? If you saw the Kaiser how would you feel?

So I am guessing you feel a strong rivalry with Germany? If you saw the Kaiser how would you feel?
You really are a s**t poster

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Big Melbourne rivalries were often fuelled off the field by geographic, political, class and even religious factors. That’s not the case any more so it’s only natural that they’re fading because there’s nothing off-field to fuel them. The only ones that really exist permanently now are the derby and the showdown

Back