Review SA U19's Yellow v Blue Internal Trial (7PM Friday 16th July)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW

sa internal trial.png

Live discussion thread, a few big name outs but will still be good viewing

Pretty ordinary night to play and watch footy. The stream was about 20 seconds behind so I kept going back to that to try and pick up things that I missed. That's a horrible way to go about it so I'll likely watch it again today. Last night it felt like the conditions kind of evened out the contest and didn't really allow anyone to show too much of what they had. It felt like just a bit of a slog out there.

I thought Will Spain was really good early and kicked a nice goal around his body on his non-preferred. It felt like everyone was trying to kick the leather off the footy early which just didn't suit the conditions. Wanganeen-Milera, Burgoyne and Dnistriansky were across this from the start and hit their kicks with a softer touch to teammates, with Wanganeen-Milera in particular doing it to great effect. I think O'Loughlin was the other who worked this out a bit more in the second half. That touch of class really stood out to me at times.

I, and a few others have mentioned him already but felt Dnistriansky was pretty solid. He was one of very few who I felt a lot better about after this game. At times I felt he's been just an accumulator across half back but tonight he hit a few kicks in tough conditions that I was impressed with and had a couple of good defensive efforts. He probably still lacks those stand-out AFL traits but I think he would've pushed his name forward a little more to be in and around the final squad for SA.

Zac Becker had some moments I thought. He's got an accurate, penetrating kick out of defence but also showed he could lower the eyes and hit a shorter kick too. I really liked the touch of class he showed coming off his man to impact a contest, win it and then to lower the eyes and hit Spain in the middle of the ground. I guess the question mark over him will be whether he can play on mediums at the next level.

Isaiah Dudley was the other that had a good night. I don't think I had any real doubts about his ability but I felt he showed he was a touch above most out their tonight.

Jackson I thought was okay early but I wanted to see more from him. I felt this earlier in the year but it seemed even more obvious last night that he was a bit taller than his listed 181cm. A bit more size will only benefit him.

Spain, Dnistriansky, Becker, Wanganeen-Milera and Dudley probably all on the up for me, though probably only the last two from those that I'd have on my draft board.

I'll re-watch the game some time today and see if my perspective changes at all.

I know nasiah is an incomplete prospect, but for a project there’s enough there for someone to turn into a very good player.
I feel like the league has a bit of a shortage of wingers right now as well.

I look at what port has done with Amon, we don’t really need to add a guy like nasiah with what we already have but I reckon we could make something of him.

I know nasiah is an incomplete prospect, but for a project there’s enough there for someone to turn into a very good player.
I feel like the league has a bit of a shortage of wingers right now as well.

I look at what port has done with Amon, we don’t really need to add a guy like nasiah with what we already have but I reckon we could make something of him.
Last night was probably my favourite Wanganeen-Milera game I've watched, showed class above most others even in the shitty conditions, and I can't get over the kick to Dudley in the third where he stopped on the spot and just put it straight on his chest, will be one I have to watch more closely/ review vision ovedr the next month

Last night was probably my favourite Wanganeen-Milera game I've watched, showed class above most others even in the shitty conditions, and I can't get over the kick to Dudley in the third where he stopped on the spot and just put it straight on his chest, will be one I have to watch more closely/ review vision ovedr the next month
I’ve watched a little bit of him, mostly playing sanfl reserves (like a Qtr here and there most weeks)

like last night he always seems to be stationed on the opposite side wing to where play is generally going through. He gets low possession numbers but I do wonder if a team good at increasing players running power (like port) could really change that. Afl sides now are very willing to switch play, the sanfl reserves don’t. Good athlete good skills. Unlike jase he can easily build a good afl body. Seen him show some inside ability as well in brief patches.

Completely agree with these comments. I must admit I haven't been a huge fan in the past, having been pretty underwhelmed with what I'd seen over the past two years but I've seen enough moments now to see the pathway onto an AFL list. Once he's there I think there's enough talent and enough physical growth to come for him to make it at the level.

Completely agree with these comments. I must admit I haven't been a huge fan in the past, having been pretty underwhelmed with what I'd seen over the past two years but I've seen enough moments now to see the pathway onto an AFL list. Once he's there I think there's enough talent and enough physical growth to come for him to make it at the level.
Ive usually liked Wanganeen-Milera slightly more than Jase Burgoyne, but i think they are both mid draft talents from my pov.

Yeah I largely agree, haven't particularly seen enough to think he's worth anything more than a rookie shot, but to remain that composed and clean in the wet has impressed

Ive usually liked Wanganeen-Milera slightly more than Jase Burgoyne, but i think they are both mid draft talents from my pov.

Burgoyne is such a tough one for me because I usually value production really highly and his has been undeniable. But I just can't shake the feeling that it will be a pretty difficult pathway for him to be a productive AFL player with that frame.

Burgoyne is such a tough one for me because I usually value production really highly and his has been undeniable. But I just can't shake the feeling that it will be a pretty difficult pathway for him to be a productive AFL player with that frame.
I find with Jase Burgoyne that the tougher the opponents the worse he plays, whereas i have found the opposite for Wanganeen-Milera.

I, and a few others have mentioned him already but felt Dnistriansky was pretty solid. He was one of very few who I felt a lot better about after this game. At times I felt he's been just an accumulator across half back but tonight he hit a few kicks in tough conditions that I was impressed with and had a couple of good defensive efforts. He probably still lacks those stand-out AFL traits but I think he would've pushed his name forward a little more to be in and around the final squad for SA.

It was a good game for Dnistriansky. I seem to like him more than others, and maybe he only becomes a state league player. But there were decent signs last night. Showed some nice touch on his kicks - as well as distance. His defensive work was also better than it has been at times.

I’m hoping he gets a chance at the Champs. He’ll probably benefit from there being a lack of KPPs in that he enters the frame as a third tall despite being sub 190cm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For Blue, Matt Dnistriansky looks to be their best player for me. I'd like to see him get a little run through the middle, otherwise he should get plenty of chances down back. Finn Heard and Cody Gilchrist will be auditioning for playing time as part of the key forward rotation too.

struth.! how do you pronounce that?

With a hyphen like that... he should have oodles of class.

I dont think his frame is that far behind someone like Will Day for example, who looked like a 12yo when he was drafted.

The thing I like about Burgoyne is that he went into the midfield through the second half of last year and dominated clearances and contested possessions in the u18s, despite looking like a twig.

Wanganeen-Milera ties to anyone ? Great football name.

He was in the Crows NGA but isnt eligible to be drafted

He's Gaving Wanganeens nephew, and Terry Mileras stepson

I dont think his frame is that far behind someone like Will Day for example, who looked like a 12yo when he was drafted.

The thing I like about Burgoyne is that he went into the midfield through the second half of last year and dominated clearances and contested possessions in the u18s, despite looking like a twig.
When he went up levels (reserves / league for port) there wasn’t a stark drop off in performance either. Didn’t go through the midfield obviously but still played well. His game just doesn’t rely on his size, it’s his fast twitch reactions and 360 degree movement (much like I remember his dad).

That body could take a long time to put size on (I wouldn’t rush it either). But I reckon he can still make an impact at afl level before then.

Ive got questions marks over jase, but reckon it’s more about what he’s gonna be.

Will we need to use our first round pick on him.

Yeah if you look around these boards he’s generally rated by these guys as around 30-45, and the media types doing draft podcasts (twomey and co) also seem to rate him around that mark from what I remember.

There’s always the wildcard of it only takes one to like him and have a pick in the range though.

I really like jase but he’s closer to a project player than a gun.

That's a fair comment. He'd probably only be 4-5kgs off what Day was but I do feel like Day's body will add weight more easily.

When he went up levels (reserves / league for port) there wasn’t a stark drop off in performance either. Didn’t go through the midfield obviously but still played well. His game just doesn’t rely on his size, it’s his fast twitch reactions and 360 degree movement (much like I remember his dad).

That body could take a long time to put size on (I wouldn’t rush it either). But I reckon he can still make an impact at afl level before then.

Ive got questions marks over jase, but reckon it’s more about what he’s gonna be.

All true. I think there is certainly a pathway for Jase, I think I just feel the body will be a bigger hurdle than you guys do. I'm certainly not writing him off though.

That's a fair comment. He'd probably only be 4-5kgs off what Day was but I do feel like Day's body will add weight more easily.

All true. I think there is certainly a pathway for Jase, I think I just feel the body will be a bigger hurdle than you guys do. I'm certainly not writing him off though.

my concern would be trying to do to much too fast with his body and it breaks down. his brother has wet paper for hammies and that makes me nervous tho Jase has proved less injury prone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back