Review Geelong spifflicate Fremantle by 69 points. - Rnd 18

Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
When coming out of defence, Bews has an excellent swerve to straighten and then run on to launch a kick forward and centred.
Him and Stewart create most of the drive out HB- Stewart is a better user but is an outside seagull, Bews does it busting and weaving through packs. Im just so impressed by the player he has become.

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Him and Stewart create most of the drive out HB- Stewart is a better user but is an outside seagull, Bews does it busting and weaving through packs. Im just so impressed by the player he has become.
Often swerves to the left and kicks on the right. Counterintuitive but works(mostly) until he’s kicks it OOB :p
Has become another of Geelong’s historical cohort of solid workmen HBFs

Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
he's a tough son-of-a-gun too.
Oh, Stewart is tough as nails. In the air or the ground he is a machine. Its just a different role- We like Stewart playing free sweeping which means he often gets the ball in space whereas Bews plays tight when defending then runs hard to attack from contests.

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Fined for impersonating an AFL footballer for the 1st 16 Rounds this season??
Too his credit he has shown a bit the last few wks. Plenty of upside still.
Let’s hope.
The stats on the drop off of his kicking efficiency since 2017 are worrying and he is still definitely contact shy..tantalising stuff.

Kitcat

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Often swerves to the left and kicks on the right. Counterintuitive but works(mostly) until he’s kicks it OOB :p
Has become another of Geelong’s historical cohort of solid workmen HBFs
Bews deliberately kicks it OOB when he has burst through and there is no good forward option ahead of him. This gives us time to set the defence and prevents the rebound. He is a tactician.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Must be doing pretty good when the worst things I have heard about this win is a made up rumor, people saying Higgins should have copped a week, and that the Tiggies don't want us at GMHBA :tearsofjoy:

Was a really strong performance. Freo never looked in it, and they have been good the last 3 or 4 weeks. I thought we would have a hard fought 20 point win.

CabWesty

All Australian
Jul 3, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Might come down to the game against Melbourne at the end of the year.

Rd 18;
Richmond could upset Brisbane this weekend, although depends on how Brisbane handle the Hipwood/Adams outs and Tigers get up for milestones.
Gold Coast lost some good players, I thought they might sneak an upset V Bulldogs but now I am not sure about that.
Saints might batter Port with the form Saints are in and Ports injuries.

Good call on the Richmond v Brisbane game! Looking forward to more similarly accurate predictions. 2 games clear of Brissie now. Didn't look like we'd be there several weeks ago.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Bews deliberately kicks it OOB when he has burst through and there is no good forward option ahead of him. This gives us time to set the defence and prevents the rebound. He is a tactician.
Yep, and in these COVID crowd-restricted times the ball doesn't find it's way back onto the ground from 20 rows back for a good while.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Watching how our game plan has evolved this year, I think it is clear that Chris Scott has built it around the chances that we may have another COVID disrupted year and the possibility of not many home games at KP.

Our game now not only stands up on wide, open grounds - it seems to benefit from them. We saw the ability to monopolise possession against Freo on their almost circular pitch, and use the wide spaces to stretch their defence and maintain control.

Having said that, we can switch to the narrow ground style we are familiar with - as we have shown by our big wins at KP.

Right now, we can win anywhere and credit must go to the wonderful coaching staff we have on our hands, and the professional players on our list.

Looking ahead to the Richmond game, in the context of the above, I would almost rather play them at the MCG right now. Their defensive game is the most vulnerable I have seen it in about four or five years, and we could use the extra space on the wings to really pick them apart. They are not running hard in support (even last night) or in packs and are riddled with opportunities to find holes. At KP though, it will be marginally harder to find those holes, and they won't have to work as hard when we have the ball.

Having said that though, I hope it is at KP - just for their fan melts.

kittypurry

Senior List
Oct 2, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
The Mighty Catters! Genuinely I thought at best we'd win by twenty points, not twenty goals--okay, so it wasn't twenty goals, but 14 goals to their 3? Thank you Footy Gods! You continue to bless the Geelong Football Club and we humbly give you our gratitude.

There is a reason why we favour big bodies and our ability to out-muscle their cute little dudes is one of them. But then our cute little guys were slick with their pressure. Nice to see Dahl back in some form! I know he stepped up against the Dogs so hopefully it becomes consistent from here on out. He's really important to us when he is up and about.

Hawkins was Hawkins, which means he was *chief's kiss*. How good is Bews too? Got a soft spot for big boy Sav and excited to see him develop even if it is a bit stressful from time to time. Moroccan Sunset will be shaking his head over missed chances in front of goals but aside that I loved his game. Sunny might just be my favourite Cat. Love his personality off field and his presence on field. Love all of the boys and can't mention them all by name. Well drilled weapons on all lines.

No passengers. Game plan was elite and the execution was elite. I've lost the ability to form full sentences because it was such a joy to see such a sophisticated performance from us.

We did it without Jezza, Chuckie, Duncan and Hendo too. Can't wait to see us with them back in the side. What a joy to support this club and these players!

Won't go into detail about that rubbish rumour Richmond supporters made up, but do want to say the way Rohan and Hendo handled it was all class. In case any Tiger flogs are stalking our board--why they are so obsessed with us lmao--class is not something you will be familiar with so I looked up a definition. In this context it means "showing stylish excellence."

Where's the Richmond Preview thread?

On hold where it should be

I get that we played our match a couple of days ago but it's still only Saturday, there's still 7 matches to be played this round and still more than a week to the currently scheduled time for our match against Richmond

There'll be a preview thread in due course

On hold where it should be

I get that we played our match a couple of days ago but it's still only Saturday, there's still 7 matches to be played this round and still more than a week to the currently scheduled time for our match against Richmond

There'll be a preview thread in due course
Well you can add Higgins - 250 games and Ratugolea - 50 games when you're ready.

Back