Status
Not open for further replies.

thebirdman 24

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
if we dont get horne I want nicks sacked. that is the only thing that will make up for such garbage selections.
If we do get Horne he wont get a crack in the midfield for years. He will play half forward with tiny bursts in the guts until we ruin him and he ends up like Galluci and Jones.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Am I the only one who thinks Sholl is far from the long term AFL player so many assume he is going to be?

Had 28 touches last week against Brisbane. When was the last time Mackay got close to that? He’s played less than 30 games and typically, despite showing so much, we have zero patience for a 15 touch game from him whilst lauding Mackay getting 14.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
What is funny is that the selection delusionalists use the exact same excuses for the exact same selection philosophy when contending or 'rebuilding'. Some numpty on the advertiser site tried to tell me how highly respected Pyke was recently. "You mean the guy thst took over an away finals winning side and turned them into spoon winning rabble in 3 years". People are so stupid. Even though they've been using contending for the 8 as a reason for our selection philosophy for years, the same dimwits now reckon bevause the philosophy hasn't changed it must mean we're tanking. Idiots.
I must have missed something.
Adelaide 2013; 11th.
Adelaide 2014; 10th.
Adelaide 2015; 7th (which is where they were at the time of the Walsh tragedy). Hardly a meteoric rise.
How was this "an away finals winning side", please? Do you mean the 7th vs 6th Final (singular) win at the MCG on 12/9/15, or was it the other poster?
From 7th, the Crows could have gone up or down, depending largely on their next Coach who turned out to be Pyke.
(btw, did Blighty win the 1997 and 1998 Flags? He coached them to the GFs and made some brilliant moves along the way, but did he win the games? Did he lose all those games in 1999?)

The Crows went UP, two years in a row. Pyke Coached them into a GF --- in an interview during GF week, he made it clear that the job was not done, that getting to the GF was only a part of the journey, that it had yet to be done on the day. It was a clear, stern warning to guard against complacency.

Did the players hear him? We can all wonder. Hubris + disunity + other factors below = 8 goal loss.

After the brilliant PF hammering of Geelong, the Crows went into the GF against a red-hot, speedy Richmond whom they'd beaten previously by 76 points in April 2017. Pyke was Coach then, too. Who would have predicted a 124-point reversal?

Was Pyke responsible for:
--- Dangerfield leaving? It's conjecture, but put him (+ Smith + McGovern + fully fit Betts-and-Sloane) into the 2017 GF side and what happens?
--- Sloane's suspension in Round 23, 2016, and the home loss which put us to 5th, then eventually away to Sydney?
--- Betts' and Sloane's appendectomies, Smither's ACL in 2017? McGovern's injury?
--- Cotchin being cleared of any charge by the AFL Match Review Panel on the Monday of grand final week after crunching Shiel head-high?
--- McGovern's and Lever's greed and dissatisfaction, and the disunity it caused within the 2017 group at a time when they needed to be most united and not infighting?
--- the well-documented mauling the Umpires gave the Crows in the 2017 GF?
(eg )
--- the Crows kicking 0.5 in the second quarter, while Richmond put on 4.1?
--- Cameron leaving?
--- the "hamstring awareness" which spread like a virus through the side?
--- the continued, unchecked incompetence of Brett Burton?

Did Pyke himself seek out and push for the employment of Collective Minds to rub the players' noses into the sh1te of the GF loss, which caused who-knows-what/how-much emotional and mental trauma to several players?

I disliked immensely Pyke's stubbornness, lack of Game Day ingenuity/improvisation and refusal to blood new players, but I have to respect that he Coached the Crows to the 2017 GF, from 7th to Minor Premiers in 2 years.
His resignation was as dignified as it was necessary --- he was a part of the Crows' woes of 2018/19 --- but is Pyke responsible for their abject failures in 2020 and the absolute garbage they served up last Friday? That's a hard NO, from me.

Trigger13

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Had 28 touches last week against Brisbane. When was the last time Mackay got close to that? He’s played less than 30 games and typically, despite showing so much, we have zero patience for a 15 touch game from him whilst lauding Mackay getting 14.

At what point did I mention Mackay?.The fact that Sholl gets that much ball and gets dropped says enough to me. I have my doubts about him. My opinion only.

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Nicks needs to read the room, and he has about 3-4 weeks to do it. Ignore the voices, ignore the peer pressure.
If he doesnt, His career will be over in a months time, even if it takes another 12 months to play out.
The Board ROOM, or the locker ROOM?
Maybe both?

I agree; it's not looking good for him.
I thought he showed great restraint and patience last year, when he was held back by a group of rusted-on assistants and I'd hope he had some say in the new appointments. However, the sh1te game plan of last week's first half and bewildering selections which favour non-performing seniors over promising juniors make him look like a Dead Coach Walking.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Am I the only one who thinks Sholl is far from the long term AFL player so many assume he is going to be?
Too physically weak.

He get's pushed off and manoeuvred off the ball way too easily.

Yes he's fit, but he actually needs to pick his moments so that he add some burst speed to his repertoire. He always looks like hes run himself into the ground which makes his physical strength look even worse. This has also impacted his kicking which looks to have dropped off, just purely from exaustion.

Needs an off season where he focuses on strength and power. Needs to also learn to run smarter, as he's falling a bit into the Riley Knight bucket of silly running at the moment.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
At what point did I mention Mackay?.The fact that Sholl gets that much ball and gets dropped says enough to me. I have my doubts about him. My opinion only.

You don't have to mention Mackay. Supporting the dropping of Sholl is supporting the selection of Mackay. It's one or the other. You support dropping Sholl purely because it happened. There's no other reason proffered.

I don't want to say I told you so, but...Scott Burns (as per todays paper) has confirmed exactly this.
The AFL overruled our doctors and has made Tom go through concussion protocols even though he did not fail a concussion test and has been cleared by our doctors.

Pretty interesting precedent being set by the AFL.
Will they do the same to Selwood in a final....

He really has dropped off a long what from what we saw early in the season.
I still think he has enormous potential though.
Sholl should have been managed when his form dropped off for a couple of games... but we ran him into the ground.

Now some are questioning whether he is afl quality, as they have memories of a goldfish.

It's crazy we have not used more rotations to keep players fresh

Trigger13

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
You don't have to mention Mackay. Supporting the dropping of Sholl is supporting the selection of Mackay. It's one or the other. You support dropping Sholl purely because it happened. There's no other reason proffered.

Mackay is Mackay. I don’t bother worrying about that situation anymore. What I’m worried about is the state of our list — which is being carried by our older blokes, papering over the cracks of some worrying young players. Sholl included.

D Style

All Australian
Oct 13, 2011
Radelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
53 Cans Indoor Cricket Club
So. Thilthorpe or Scholl will be the sub. When one is managed and the other one supposed out of form. Thilthorpe should have a rest then, and Scholl should have had a full SANFL game today.

On RMX2086 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Game day thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back