Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

a couple of years from now thomas as a forward will be a ridiculous proposition
I kind of agree but at the same time I reckon he'll play games where he moves to the forward line, he kicks five or six goals and wins matches. He'll definitely move thru there thru games too. He is very effective attacking marking option.

Thats enough for me to chill on chasing big forwards as an urgent need - will be interesting to see how Comben and Larkey go for a couple of years. The X- Man can grow his forward/ ruck skills in that time and then we'd have Edwards just about ready to go.

Goldie, Taz replacements are probably a higher priority

Very impressive from young Charlie - very consistent with his Under 18 highlights.

One grab marking, nice leap, preparedness to tackle and straight shooting - reminds me of a (taller) W80 in the making.

Larkey, Edwards and Comben up front will be a threat in 2023 - maybe even earlier.

Can Charlie's body stand up to the rigours of week in week out senior level football - only time will tell - but the raw talent is there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I kind of agree but at the same time I reckon he'll play games where he moves to the forward line, he kicks five or six goals and wins matches. He'll definitely move thru there thru games too. He is very effective attacking marking option.

Noble talked about that in the presser today.

Dropping forward and kicking goals as part of the forward rotation - being important

Looks to cover a tonne of ground without really spinning the wheels. Potent weapon for a big lad, will create space without really trying.

Also love that his goal is to play a senior game at the end of the year rather than "get through the year and have a big preseason".

Last edited:
Now to put together a nice run in the VFL. Wouldn't be against a debut against the Crows in the last game of the year if form permits, but really day one of the pre-season and round 1 next year and beyond needs to be the priority.

Thats enough for me to chill on chasing big forwards as an urgent need - will be interesting to see how Comben and Larkey go for a couple of years. The X- Man can grow his forward/ ruck skills in that time and then we'd have Edwards just about ready to go.

Goldie, Taz replacements are probably a higher priority
Tom Campbell can prolly fill a stop gap measure as well. Shown he can clunk it and respectable kick. Prolly a bit wanting below his knees but that's why we have small and mid fwds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back