Review Round 18, 2021 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Bonner was very very cute today and I won't have anyone say a bad word about him.

Also I won't hear a bad word about coaching we are so undermanned right now especially in the front half so we will need to tough out some wins. People are talking like we have our best 22 out there and should be slaughtering teams but truth is with the outs we have there is so much quality missing this was a great win.

West Coast would be getting the kitchen sink ready to throw at him.
We have a seriously strong ability in retaining our players, not sure West Cost can throw that much at him we can’t.

Bonner was very very cute today and I won't have anyone say a bad word about him.

Also I won't hear a bad word about coaching we are so undermanned right now especially in the front half so we will need to tough out some wins. People are talking like we have our best 22 out there and should be slaughtering teams but truth is with the outs we have there is so much quality missing this was a great win.
The challenge is now bringing them back without returning underdone players. Hence why I was glad Durrama sat this game out at Marvel

Hi guys, well done on the win. Your boys were fantastic and thoroughly deserved it. Was even more excellent with the quality that was missing through injury.

Just on a downside, who ever has the alternate account of "portbuckle" I don't appreciate being spammed with troll PM's. I haven't done it to you, please don't do it to me.

View attachment 1179709
That being said, good luck for the rest of the season and lots of luck in the finals :)
Sp your saying you are Plugger66 and are here using an Alias?

Thats not allowed is it?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

well that was unexpected. final result was one of those feel good moments that only happen once or twice a season, ... if you're lucky.

some players were heroes one minute and total losers the next ..

McKenzie played like superman 1st half but then couldn't clean up Aliir and Burton mess when King got that important goal before 3/4 time.

Wines played like a man possessed all day, but then kicked horribly for goal at a key moment.

Lycett had a purple patch at CHF (channeling Darryl Poole) and ignited Port toward a seeming match winning lead (finally we had some extra physical presence up forward), but then did some dreadful mistakes soon after.

Honorable mention to Brad Hill's contribution in the last quarter - doubt we would have won without him.

it's great entertainment when you win. Doubt I could have stomached posting if we've lost!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win in trying inclement weather conditions.

Yep - that rain pounding on the roof in an empty stadium would scare any team. ;)

Thankfully the AFL doesn't give extra premiership points for artistic endeavour.

An ugly win gets 4 points like any other. And that makes it a beautiful win in my eyes.

Ugly, ugly win but a win that showed good character given the huge injury toll.

Wines was a beast again. Carried the midfield on his own.

McKenzie was superb down back.

Georgiades played one of, if not his best, games.

Amon was very good.

Thought Powell-Pepper and Bonner were both improved on recent performances.

Aliir needs to lift, he's hit a really poor patch of form.

Riley Bonner has arrived

One s̶w̶a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶ decent game does not make a s̶u̶m̶m̶e̶r̶ AFL player.

Credit where credit is due though. He played a solid game with only one turnover to his name. Good to see. (And his teal boots got a best on ground vote from Eddie).

frustrating start to the game. both sides played crap but port had every chance to make something of the game and seemingly didn't want to. we just looked to have so many not up to scratch players. ugly game for spectators. The lack of class in ports forward half really really showed. while I love some of the individual efforts in defence, I think the unit as a whole has been worse since the clurey / Mckenzie swap. the drop off of our defence over the past 2 months is alarming. At the moment we are being carried by the super efforts of a handful of players rather than a functional team.

in the end the win was pleasing, but yet again we made it such tough work.

Good thing is that we keep toughing out wins with a depleted team.

Bad thing is that we keep just toughing out wins that we should be putting in the bank a lot easier. and our injury list never looks to be shrinking.

wines - gun. just plays all 4 qtrs week in week out. 36d 11 clearances

Amon - very solid game. the great thing was he led us in tackles with 10 and led us for pressure acts while kicking 2 goals and racking up 26d. he's nothing like the player people hated not long ago. I thought some of his field kicks were not up to his usual high standard but really formed a partnership with wines today when others were not standing up. quality player.

lycett - up against it and wouldn't say he won his battle but thought he fought really really hard to find a way to influence the game. if he couldn't do it one way he worked hard another. high effort.

Burton - thought that while he had some absolute howlers that his workrate and willingness to get involved was great. smart and willing to peel off and help others. had some howlers by foot but weight of effort over the game he really made up for it and then some. really helped our other defenders out.

Mckenzie - flogged king. really dominant over him especially in the first half. thought king found a way to eventually make some impact for saints but saints really put the kicks onto mckenzies chest early and Mckenzie denied him.

bonner - very very strong game. damaging by foot and worked hard.

georgiades - 4 goals is a great return in a low scoring game where our forward entries are largely rubbish. he only needs a 50/50 chance to make the ball his.

alir - has struggled since we swapped Mckenzie for clurey.

Boak - good-ish but not near the Boak we expect. struggling with the body (hammy?) or just time catching up with him? maybe half and half.

spp - had some good moments early, some hard running but faded out of the game very quickly. story of his season.

ladhams - offered a body to give lycett some rest and really offered not much else. some value in that but could easily have had more impact.

dbj - just horrid. didn't offer anything in the air, lost all his ability to give us drive from the back half. has somehow gone backwards to the level that is embarrassing. we've got to figure this out. drop him, move him, give him the mother of all sprays. do something cause its gone on for a full years now and its getting worse not better.

Jonas - just become such a fringe player now. does enough to hold his spot but the interesting beast we saw last year has disappeared. he's not horrible but we have higher expectations of him other than just occasionally double spoiling and thumping contests when he's got so much help back there.

Houston - 18 disposals and im not sure one of them was worth a ******* crap compared to what we used to see from him. devolved into a sanfl level plodder after that shoulder. fix him, rest him if its body related. do something cause were going to wreck wither his body or his mind doing this. if its not body related than drop him.

drew - massive let down after his recent form. just did nothing. 8d was so poor. love to see his tog actually cause I barely saw him.

woodcock - 12d and 1 goal flatters his game. he did a couple of good things but really threw away a bunch of chances. as if missing goals wasn't bad enough, and could forgive him for making mistakes our senior players make but the amount of times he did bizarre stuff. the time he dived in front of Boak who was trying to gather the ball to pick it up and hand pass it to a free saints player when the only other port player in the vicinity was Boak who he just knocked out of the way was beyond infuriating.

lienert - bit of a nothing game. not bad not good. looked like a depth player.

Dixon - was poor for most of the game and well beaten in a horrible gameplan set up for him to fail. but kept working eventually and got a reward with some fantastic play. He is the physical embodiment of how frustratingly hard we work to score. works his butt off for so little every week. the other end it looks so easy.

bergman - very quiet early but came into the game with a series of amazing and influencial touches that show what he could be.

Mayes - did less than nothing all game which is massively disappointing for a player with his experience. he's the same age as wines. had a good 3 mins but that bad for a guy we should expect much more from. needed to step up with our outs.

marshall - poor first half then worked into the game going up the ground. had some very good touches, that kick to georgiades was brilliant. it won't show in his stats but he was instrumental along with a couple others for us winning that 4th qtr.

Frederick - just a horrible nothing game.

mcintee - can't say much as he didn't get much of a chance. showed some intensity in his brief patch, still think he's well outclassed at afl level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back